Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

That "satin" tongue on the 2016 pair definitely feels odd compared to how I remember the OG tongue. But I don't have my OG's anymore to compare it to, so I can't say for sure. I would imagine that these will be exactly the same.
I think ive spent atleast 20 seconds every day since they showed up brainstorming how to knock back that satin plasticky shine on the tongues. Best i could come up with is taking a magic eraser to it but i cant.
And the puffy pillow fix would be some spray adhesive with a wd40 straw attached to it and snake that b**** into the seam and hit it up with a couple squirts on the inside then press it flat with a vice grip over night. I know the puffy pillow tongue is OG but damn. Its almost unwearably awkward

The only appealing part of the off whites is the tongue but one of them has a damn hole through it. Virgil really went out of his way to f those up

Last edited:
I think ive spent atleast 20 seconds every day since they showed up brainstorming how to knock back that satin plasticky shine on the tongues. Best i could come up with is taking a magic eraser to it but i cant.
And the puffy pillow fix would be some spray adhesive with a wd40 straw attached to it and snake that b**** into the seam and hit it up with a couple squirts on the inside then press it flat with a vice grip over night. I know the puffy pillow tongue is OG but damn. Its almost unwearably awkward

The only appealing part of the off whites is the tongue but one of them has a damn hole through it. Virgil really went out of his way to f those up
The tongue on the fresh prince 5s are OD puffy. That sounds like a good idea to fix those.

Man, it's not that severe.... On feet, and without comparison to other years, it really doesn't look all that shiny. And I had the OG BM....And as others have noted, this material may not crack over time. If it bothers you that badly, just pass ;-).

First thing I noticed out the box was that the 3M on the black metallics was trash. Shiny/oily looking and everything else mentioned. Also noticed that the NA was different and the toebox was bulky. I haven’t had a pair since the 2000 and I Remember the 2000 vividly. These are just things that immediately jumped out at me. I ended up ironing the toebox eventually. All in all it was an ok retro. Quality seems up to par. This updated toebox on the white pair is just a plus so I’ll probably cop.

0F292EC9-1E49-4D50-AB91-4692F1803C66.jpeg

Man, it's not that severe.... On feet, and without comparison to other years, it really doesn't look all that shiny. And I had the OG BM....And as others have noted, this material may not crack over time. If it bothers you that badly, just pass ;-).
No pass

First thing I noticed out the box was that the 3M on the black metallics was trash. Shiny/oily looking and everything else mentioned. Also noticed that the NA was different and the toebox was bulky. I haven’t had a pair since the 2000 and I Remember the 2000 vividly. These are just things that immediately jumped out at me. I ended up ironing the toebox eventually. All in all it was an ok retro. Quality seems up to par. This updated toebox on the white pair is just a plus so I’ll probably cop.

Damn, looking good amigo. Way better.

Silver tongue > Black tongue IMO

It’s sleek. That all white sits upon that all black midsole. The black threads that go around the toe are hidden from the black rubber it simply blends in. The red teeth glare out at you with such pop. The teeth sit on top of that clear sole. The white leather wraps around to that Nike AIR on the back and the ankle bumps. The lace locks and that glare from the 3M. The shoe is perfection. Nothing I would change about it. Simple. Clean. Perfection.

You can’t say that about many Jordan’s.

Tongue is looking a little different than 2016. I wasn't overly upset at the 2016 tongue but they were a little laughable with how they were OD.

For me it will forever be BT> Silver Tongue but ARK ARK has a great point with the blackened stitch that goes hidden.

I like. I want. These upcoming white pair looking good.

Last week I thought about purchasing the 2016 black pair from GOAT but decided to wait. Not sure how close those are to the OG pairs. Just remember back when it first released one of my friends got them and our group of friends gathered around him trying it on. None of us could afford it Haha.

These whites should satisfy me until the blacks release again.

Last edited by a moderator:

You can do what I did to mines, I sprayed it with Krylon Matte Finish and it took the oily shine away.

Man...if you said you also added a matte finish to the tongue, I would actually be way more interested in owning a pair of the 2016 metallics. Toe box looks great though

looking at the top 3 pair are my eyes playing tricks on me or did they go back to using the old font on the 23?

Back
Top Bottom