Air Jordan XX8 aka 2013, new "Proplate Zoom" Technology OFFICIAL THREAD.

You have got to be kidding me!!!  On my 2nd pair of XX8s...  this time they are the Bel-Air SEs...  understand that I primarily play ball in these and wear them on the street on occasion.  Well tonight I just found my right shoe with a sunken forefoot outsole which could only mean a popped Zoom Air bag.  I've only played ball in these about 8 times...  what CRAP!!!

I'll be returning these back to Footlocker after the holiday and never buying these, or the Melo 10's, or anything else with this outsole again...  plus I'll be sure to post this info on any and all Nike/Jordan sites I find...  thanks a lot Nike for wasting my time!!!

FRUSTRATING!!!  I'll be sure to post pics soon.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that , all my xx8s have held up phenomenally, and I use them to ball as well. That's a real bummer man, it's my favorite basketball shoe ever

You have got to be kidding me!!!  On my 2nd pair of XX8s...  this time they are the Bel-Air SEs...  understand that I primarily play ball in these and wear them on the street on occasion.  Well tonight I just found my right shoe with a sunken forefoot outsole which could only mean a popped Zoom Air bag.  I've only played ball in these about 8 times...  what CRAP!!!

I'll be returning these back to Footlocker after the holiday and never buying these, or the Melo 10's, or anything else with this outsole again...  plus I'll be sure to post this info on any and all Nike/Jordan sites I find...  thanks a lot Nike for wasting my time!!!

FRUSTRATING!!!  I'll be sure to post pics soon.
here they are... kinda hard to see, but the right forefoot zoomair bag is popped.  you can see how the left shoe's forefoot cushioning portrudes out of the shoe a bit; while the right forefoot area is concave and sunken.  again, this is just after 4 weeks!!! i included a pic of my original xx8s also, where the outsole ripped...

thought nike/jb could possibly redeem themselves with construction of the se. looks like i was horribly wrong... fool me twice; shame on me is apparently true!!!

To each their own, bit I respectively disagree. I'd much rather have these than any retro, especially the ones made in the last ten years. In all truth I'd rather have these than ANY basketball shoe past or present.

To each their own, bit I respectively disagree. I'd much rather have these than any retro, especially the ones made in the last ten years. In all truth I'd rather have these than ANY basketball shoe past or present.
i said the same thing myself...  now i'm going back to the store and probably getting a pair of retros.  thought i was getting 'the best' there was to offer; now i know better.  so much for ballin' in the latest technology!!

Yeah man, your experience with them I don't blame you for feeling that way. But I have three pairs of se with a 4th on the way and they are used heavily and still going fine. Two don't get much concrete wear because I keep them clean for basketball court and they are worn about 4x a week in actual game play, plus shoot arounds daily , coaching my sons league, and daily weight training.... Furthermore my Georgetown color way is used on all surfaces with zero problems as well so I guess to me it's weird to hear the problems knowing how much abuse I put on mine and have been problem free. Clearly it's an issue but just wondering for the guys with problems if it's an issue of putting too much load on the flight plate before it's broken in and a bit more flexible therefore allowing the plate to be more forgiving as it compresses against the zoom bags. Anyway, just a thought... For those who have had bad experiences I do emphathize

Yeah man, your experience with them I don't blame you for feeling that way. But I have three pairs of se with a 4th on the way and they are used heavily and still going fine. Two don't get much concrete wear because I keep them clean for basketball court and they are worn about 4x a week in actual game play, plus shoot arounds daily , coaching my sons league, and daily weight training.... Furthermore my Georgetown color way is used on all surfaces with zero problems as well so I guess to me it's weird to hear the problems knowing how much abuse I put on mine and have been problem free. Clearly it's an issue but just wondering for the guys with problems if it's an issue of putting too much load on the flight plate before it's broken in and a bit more flexible therefore allowing the plate to be more forgiving as it compresses against the zoom bags. Anyway, just a thought... For those who have had bad experiences I do emphathize
appreciate the thoughtful and empathetic response...  thumbs up for that.  perhaps jb should place a disclaimer on this particular shoe and recommend a break-in period of 3-4 hours...  days, even?  i dunno.

Last edited:

appreciate the thoughtful and empathetic response...  thumbs up for that.  perhaps jb should place a disclaimer on this particular shoe and recommend a break-in period of 3-4 hours...  days, even?  i dunno.

If you are paying this type of money for a shoe, having a "break-in" period so that a zoom bag may or may not bust is ridiculous. from what we know a break in period is not even for sure or necessary, definitely a setup/function issue. that issue should have been taking care of in the wear test period. at the rate we keep reading about bags popping, I wonder if that happened in the testing period. pretty sure they didn't break -in those shoes before they went to testing them. i have been waiting for a solid color on the shroudless pair, but this bag popping issue just keeps pushing me away. after looking at the pictures above of the ripped and popped air bags, I can see why they would go -- I have not seen these in person but they just look unstable. You would think they would have addressed these with the Melo's???

Last edited:
...if only i had found this thread prior to my last purchase. ah well off to footlocker for my refund (in 3 days)!!!

Wish all models had been more produced, trying to track down a side 13 in the stealth/ green model is proving to be impossible

Can we please get a count/percentage on here of the issues with popped unlocked air or flight plate??!!!  It seems to be ridiculous...

6 pairs between me and my bro with no issues. More casual wear and the load is spread out but still, they're not self destructing at the rate you'd think by reading this thread

4 pairs, no issues . Used as intended, ball 4-5 x a week + weight training 6 days a week. Don't know about overall percentages but in my experience it's 0%

4 pairs, no issues . Used as intended, ball 4-5 x a week + weight training 6 days a week. Don't know about overall percentages but in my experience it's 0%
gotdamn, weight training, you're just asking for trouble haha

Last edited:
I don't dead lift and do modified squats because of cartilage deterioration in my knees. Which honestly I shouldn't be doing either, @ 32 I'm bone on bone in my knees but too young to submit to complete replacement right now. It is what it is... If I did things like that I might reconsider but at the same time the unlocked zoom is in the forefoot. Your center of gravity should be over heels more so than toes.

Whatever works for you.

I use these bad boys for squats, They're hard as a rock. I deadlift barefoot since I train at home. The pansy gym I used to go to would  throw a hissy fit if I lifted barefoot

I might have to give squats up for leg presses since I got a hernia and am going in for surgery. Not that worried about leg development but my lower back will suck if I need to stop  deadlifts

Last edited:
Yeah quite a few guys at my gym use that exact same shoe... My knees are just so wrecked tho that I really prefer the cushion.

Greetings everyone. I am not a big poster but do my best to read all the threads. I have been following the XX8s since the early release and what I think may be a factor to consider are the replicas out there. I was fortunate to meet a person that sold replicas and to be honest it is EXTREMELY hard to tell the difference. The ONLY way I could tell was that the carbon fiber in the heel was a little thinner but only because I had a known pair of real XX8s in hand. Be careful as I think there are MANY more out there than you think especially in the original black and green. I am only bringing this up as a potential factor for all these problems. Also, coming from a background in statistics when you do a survey you are more likely to get feedback that is extremely negative. So there may be a little bias regarding the problem (not saying that people did not have a problem) but maybe it is statistically much smaller than you think. Kind of like when a person hears from 2-3 people about a terrible experience while those that had no problems just don't speak up. In addition, those that follow this thread are a selected group as well. I apologize for the long thread but if there is a way to do some sort of survey regarding the problem, no problem, longevity, type of use AND importantly where originally purchased I think it may help in clarifying and giving a more true picture of whether there is a significant problem (again not saying those people did not have issues- but rather if there is truly a trend or a few problem pairs OR if there is an association with some being replicas without knowing). Just a thought. Thank you for everyone's info and experiences. It has helped me anlot

Back
Top Bottom