Air Jordan XXXIII first info

I disagree, the design language paid homage to those shoes.
homage is ok, but don't use the new Air Jordan for that purpose. The shoe game is evolving, competition is thicker than ever. Can you imagine a Jordan Brand sales pitch featuring retro clips of MJ and their best product inspired by....Retros? It goes stale after awhile.

To me there’s no thought in a covered up shoe... it’s like looking at an unfinished shoe...so much potential is left on the table...
Is like short cutting and the easy way out...
Just my .02cents

homage is ok, but don't use the new Air Jordan for that purpose. The shoe game is evolving, competition is thicker than ever. Can you imagine a Jordan Brand sales pitch featuring retro clips of MJ and their best product inspired by....Retros? It goes stale after awhile.

Idk man, JB makes the bulk of their revenues from retro sales. Imagine if Converse stopped focusing on selling Chucks back in the 1980s? That might not be the best example but you get my point-newer AJ models simply don’t have my emotional attachement. They are essentially high end performance models with little/no link to any modern player. Retro models have that attachment because of MJ, even though I agree they look great. MJ is long gone so you really can’t build the same type of attachment so they might as well design shoes that pay homage to the models people do have an attachment to.

/Rant haha

To me there’s no thought in a covered up shoe... it’s like looking at an unfinished shoe...so much potential is left on the table...
Is like short cutting and the easy way out...
Just my .02cents

I totally agree. Me personally, I just love the look of a shoe with laces and a tongue. No covered up crap and no slip in bootie like they've been doing recently with KD's, the last Kobe AD, and the LeBron 14/15.

Idk man, JB makes the bulk of their revenues from retro sales. Imagine if Converse stopped focusing on selling Chucks back in the 1980s? That might not be the best example but you get my point-newer AJ models simply don’t have my emotional attachement. They are essentially high end performance models with little/no link to any modern player. Retro models have that attachment because of MJ, even though I agree they look great. MJ is long gone so you really can’t build the same type of attachment so they might as well design shoes that pay homage to the models people do have an attachment to.

/Rant haha
This is a very good point. But while I agree with you, ceo insane ceo insane has a good point as well. How much longer can they go constantly going to the well over and over again relying on the past to make them money. Eventually it will run dry, eventually. They need to bring something new. This coming from someone that loves all the old stuff. Unfortunately, athletes today dont capture kids interest like they used to.

I just wanna see a Jordan sneaker that blows you away something you can’t take your eyes off them. What was the last Jordan shoe that did? The Concord XI, 22 years ago!!! It’s time for Jordan to make a shoe that is “A MUST HAVE” like it used to be in the 90’s
Love your first post. But everyone here has that "must have" moment with so many different models 1-32. Welcome to NT....:nthat: 90s were amazing btw.

This is a very good point. But while I agree with you, ceo insane ceo insane has a good point as well. How much longer can they go constantly going to the well over and over again relying on the past to make them money. Eventually it will run dry, eventually. They need to bring something new. This coming from someone that loves all the old stuff. Unfortunately, athletes today dont capture kids interest like they used to.

You are right but classic designs are classic designs.

Chuck Taylor and Les Paul both have signature products that very few people actually have any connection to outside of the actual products themselves. In the case of Chucks, pretty much nobody alive has any connection to Chuck Taylor as an athlete. It might sound crazy now but this will likely be the case with MJ as well, long after MJ and all of us are gone, there is a solid chance that at least some of the the retro designs live on and carry the brand just like with Chuck Taylor and Les Paul’s respective products.

I think expecting JB to design a modern classic is basically expecting them to redesign the wheel. I don’t think they can possibly do this because their past designs are held to this insanely high standard, which they aren’t really able to top because so much of the brand and those classic designs were tied to MJ himself. People see the brand and MJ as one due to it being his namesake. Without that, the products are simply just Nikes which is fine as we know Nike can design new, innovative products but it isn’t reflective of MJ or Jordan Brand.

I just wanna see a Jordan sneaker that blows you away something you can’t take your eyes off them. What was the last Jordan shoe that did? The Concord XI, 22 years ago!!! It’s time for Jordan to make a shoe that is “A MUST HAVE” like it used to be in the 90’s

The Concords are great looking shoes but there is a literally massive emotional connection to them for those of us who watched MJ play in them and idolized him back then. Younger kids who never watched him play likely idolized the style as they became a streetwear and fashion staple. I wasn’t alive to watch MJ play in the AJ 1s (I was born in 1986) BUT I watched that model do exactly that and OG 1s are one of my favorite sneakers ever now. Either way, I know JB won’t be able to design new sneakers with the history of the AJ 1 or 11 so the next best thing would be designing flagship performance models that pay homage to classic designs instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and failing.

MJ is long gone so you really can’t build the same type of attachment so they might as well design shoes that pay homage to the models people do have an attachment to.

/Rant haha
I see your take but we still have Retros here to keep the name going. JB has an over-saturated catalog of Retros, lifestyles inspired by a Retro, runners & trainers inspired by a Retro, and even models inspired by multiple Retros. There's enough of it there to say 'the yearly AJ needs a blank canvas'.

A 19yr old NBA prospect was born in 1999. Their interest in the brand is pretty much due to the 'cool factor', because of Retros. The brand needs to break that stigma and it starts with the Air Jordan. Swaggy P is the last person I want to quote, but I've heard several people say similar "same Jordan's recycled..how hard is it to make a NEW shoe?" ..and I see that viewpoint.

They need to allow these designers and Team Jordan to create THEIR stories. A lot of us grew up in the 80s/90s, we're buying out of attachment / memories and we're buying for our family, but who's coming behind us?? ...that's why JB needs to keep evolving.

Last edited:
Honestly, at this point I don't care whether or not the new model features retro cues (from the IIIs or anything else), new design, crazy design, conservative design ... I just want an actual new Air Jordan to look sick. Way easier said than done, obviously, with the past umpteen years as evidence. But while this talk of strategies and why things look the way they do and what the brand should be doing in the big picture is absolutely legit and has it's place, I just don't care anymore. Just design a sick damn NEW shoe for once. Just once. Please. :lol:

I see your take but we still have Retros here to keep the name going. JB has an over-saturated catalog of Retros, lifestyles inspired by a Retro, runners & trainers inspired by a Retro, and even models inspired by multiple Retros. There's enough of it there to say 'the yearly AJ needs a blank canvas'.

A 19yr old NBA prospect was born in 1999. Their interest in the brand is pretty much due to the 'cool factor', because of Retros. The brand needs to break that stigma and it starts with the Air Jordan. Swaggy P is the last person I want to quote, but I've heard several people say similar "same Jordan's recycled..how hard is it to make a NEW shoe?" ..and I see that viewpoint.

They need to allow these designers and Team Jordan to create THEIR stories. A lot of us grew up in the 80s/90s, we're buying out of attachment / memories and we're buying for our family, but who's coming behind us?? ...that's why JB needs to keep evolving.

I actually think you have a solid point but my main question is-how is a new model ever going to feel refreshing when it carries the name of someone who hasn’t played in a decade and a half? The ties of the brand’s popular products to consumers is strong, which is why retros have become a streetwear staple but how do you build those ties with newer models and especially with younger kids who have only grown up seeing classic retro models being worn?

Hell, even the most popular existing players like LeBron, KD, and Steph have trouble selling the fashion aspect of their shoes for offcourt wear (although, especially with the recent LeBron line-they are really trying hard to change that). AFAIK (or can remember) Jordans sold while MJ was playing had huge offcourt appeal.

I actually think you have a solid point but my main question is-how is a new model ever going to feel refreshing when it carries the name of someone who hasn’t played in a decade and a half? The ties of the brand’s popular products to consumers is strong, which is why retros have become a streetwear staple but how do you build those ties with newer models and especially with younger kids who have only grown up seeing classic retro models being worn?

Hell, even the most popular existing players like LeBron, KD, and Steph have trouble selling the fashion aspect of their shoes for offcourt wear (although, especially with the recent LeBron line-they are really trying hard to change that). AFAIK (or can remember) Jordans sold while MJ was playing had huge offcourt appeal.

You talk too much.

With all due respect, and I know where you are coming from, but in my opinion you're looking at it a bit wrong in the long-term picture. This idea that Jordan Brand is suffering because MJ hasn't played in 15 years, and even longer when we're talking about the REAL MJ years with the Bulls, isn't necessarily a thing. "Jordan" has become a multi-billion-dollar brand. That doesn't happen because it is just living off of the player wearing the shoes in games during his career. Yes, you are ABSOLUTELY right that the retro business drives a huge chunk of its revenue, but the brand must sell a boatload of non-retro product to achieve its reported revenue.

Enzo Ferrari has been dead for the 30 years. His death impacted that company for a while afterward, but today no one cares. People buy the cars because they are FERRARIS. Brand recognition and image carry the day. It certainly isn't because they are all the best-performing or best-looking cars (I work in automotive, and drive them all, so I'm not just blowing smoke.) When you ask how the brand can build ties with newer models, the answer is simple: great design, great product. Just like Nike itself did. "Jordan" the brand is now no different than any other company in the sneaker space, except it does have the huge retro nostalgia and sales as a result. That's a huge ace in the hole to be sure. But the brand also moves a boatload of product not associated with retro, worn by kids and adults alike because it is "Jordan" branded. No one has a connection to Phil Knight or Nike like they do with MJ, yet that didn't stop Nike's success or stop it from producing highly coveted shoes, many of which weren't and aren't tied to one single athlete.

For the annual signature Air Jordan, I honestly believe that all it takes is a sick shoe. I agree, that means it has to have off-court appeal as well. And they haven't done that much in the past 10-plus years. But it's really that simple. The rest is a foundation that has already been laid. The Jumpman is, along with the Swoosh, the sneaker equivalent of Ferrari's prancing horse.

I hope the lace system is visible on these, unlike the golf shoe. Be cool to see how it all looks underneath.

I posted a video review on page 25 right near the top and the reviewer gives you a look underneath the shroud. Go take a look and see. IMO, To technical for the shoe to look good without a shroud. However, the golf shoe wasn’t flyknit, therefore it needed a shroud. I assume there will be a new version of flyknit on the 33. I think the new lacing system will be incorporated into the new flyknit.

Always get excited about the new model. Jordan brand has been trying to eliminate laces for years. They may have pulled it off. I hate shrouds though. Frfr

Back
Top Bottom