Alcoholism

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by Theta

i lost all respect for the DSM when they classified alcoholism as a disease. its @!#!*@ ridiculous.
Addiction is a mental illness. But a lot of people that call themselves alcoholics really aren't. Unless you're drinking a handle of vodka a day, losing your family/job  because of the habit, and go through some serious withdrawal symptoms you're NOT an alcoholic. There are criteria in the DSM to qualify as a true addict.

i disagree entirely that addiction is a mental illness. on what grounds can you justify that?

also if you read my post on another person's post about his buddy being an alcoholic, i said the EXACT same thing that you just said about people falsely being classified by their peers as an alcoholic.

Addiction is a disease of the brain, a little google search on the neuropathology of addiction should clear things up. It's not like I'm saying something ground breaking. Unless everything I've been taught about the brain, neurochemistry/pharmacology/addiction/human behavior to this point has been a lie.
laugh.gif

Ofcourse there are different severities and some drugs are more addicting/habit forming than others. It's all governed by the brain's addiction/pleasure centers, which are also responsible for the withdrawal symptoms you experience from discontinued usage.

It's common knowledge bro....eg. nicotine addiction is governed by the brain

http://www2.aaap.org/
Ok i know everything that you had already posted and lol i know addiction has to do with the brain. I have an issue of how mental illness is defined. It cant just be classified as a mental illness because it has to do with the brain (in that case, all illnesses are a subset of mental illness). As a result, the term becomes too broad and looses meaning. I just dont think you can say that because something involves the brain (as any type of physical response ultimately does). Lol by that definition, erectile dysfunction is a "mental disorder".

So what do you think we should classify it as? Let's hear it. Read what I posted about the connections between other mental illnesses and addiction. I don't know where else addiction would fall in subsets of illnesses, if you have a better term please do share.
I don't see why addiction needs to be placed into another category. Why cant addiction be its own, independent set in the same way that breaking your arm would fall under an independent set? I do recognize that there are connections between these, however I think the term mental illnesses should be limited to illnesses that are entirely or almost entirely mentally. Although addiction may ultimately stem from reactions in the brain (as do many, many other conditions), it is primarily characterized by physical implications (whether they be the craving for another dose, or the withdrawals that they incur).

An example of a purely mental illness would be something like bipolar disorder given that its implications almost all solely take place in the brain.

Just a thought.

i lost all respect for the DSM when they classified alcoholism as a disease. its @!#!*@ ridiculous.
Addiction is a mental illness. But a lot of people that call themselves alcoholics really aren't. Unless you're drinking a handle of vodka a day, losing your family/job  because of the habit, and go through some serious withdrawal symptoms you're NOT an alcoholic. There are criteria in the DSM to qualify as a true addict.

i disagree entirely that addiction is a mental illness. on what grounds can you justify that?

also if you read my post on another person's post about his buddy being an alcoholic, i said the EXACT same thing that you just said about people falsely being classified by their peers as an alcoholic.

Addiction is a disease of the brain, a little google search on the neuropathology of addiction should clear things up. It's not like I'm saying something ground breaking. Unless everything I've been taught about the brain, neurochemistry/pharmacology/addiction/human behavior to this point has been a lie.
laugh.gif

Ofcourse there are different severities and some drugs are more addicting/habit forming than others. It's all governed by the brain's addiction/pleasure centers, which are also responsible for the withdrawal symptoms you experience from discontinued usage.

Ok i know everything that you had already posted and lol i know addiction has to do with the brain. I have an issue of how mental illness is defined. It cant just be classified as a mental illness because it has to do with the brain (in that case, all illnesses are a subset of mental illness). As a result, the term becomes too broad and looses meaning. I just dont think you can say that because something involves the brain (as any type of physical response ultimately does). Lol by that definition, erectile dysfunction is a "mental disorder".

So what do you think we should classify it as? Let's hear it. Read what I posted about the connections between other mental illnesses and addiction. I don't know where else addiction would fall in subsets of illnesses, if you have a better term please do share.
I don't see why addiction needs to be placed into another category. Why cant addiction be its own, independent set in the same way that breaking your arm would fall under an independent set? I do recognize that there are connections between these, however I think the term mental illnesses should be limited to illnesses that are entirely or almost entirely mentally. Although addiction may ultimately stem from reactions in the brain (as do many, many other conditions), it is primarily characterized by physical implications (whether they be the craving for another dose, or the withdrawals that they incur).

An example of a purely mental illness would be something like bipolar disorder given that its implications almost all solely take place in the brain.

Just a thought.

A lot of mental illnesses have physical implications. The brain and the body are not mutually exclusive entities. Pain, fatigue and susceptibility to illness are physical signs of depression. The highs and lows of bipolar disorder manifests itself physically as well.

And you don't think "cravings" are a mental implications? Addiction medicine is put under mental illness because of its comorbidity with other mental illness. If depression leads to thoughts and ATTEMPTS of suicide, aren't those cravings for self-inflicted harm "physical implications" according to your thought process.

laugh.gif

Just a thought.

A lot of mental illnesses have physical implications. The brain and the body are not mutually exclusive entities. Pain, fatigue and susceptibility to illness are physical signs of depression. The highs and lows of bipolar disorder manifests itself physically as well.

And you don't think "cravings" are a mental implications? Addiction medicine is put under mental illness because of its comorbidity with other mental illness. If depression leads to thoughts and ATTEMPTS of suicide, aren't those cravings for self-inflicted harm "physical implications" according to your thought process.

I'm watching Bill Bledsoe on MSNBC right now talking about the Prohibition party and bringing back the ban on booze in the U.S.
laugh.gif
Too late now.
Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Originally Posted by Master Zik

No real pity for alcoholics.

As for the argument I've seen scans of a brain after the effects of alcoholism and when it comes to it being a mental addiction (it is a mental illness) I find it hard to believe 100% if the person really does drink like an alcoholic that they're mentally addicted due to the amount of holes, yes literal holes in your brain drinking alcohol causes.
what in the @%#% did i just read.
Knowledge GOD.

I'm watching Bill Bledsoe on MSNBC right now talking about the Prohibition party and bringing back the ban on booze in the U.S.
laugh.gif
Too late now.

As for the argument I've seen scans of a brain after the effects of alcoholism and when it comes to it being a mental addiction (it is a mental illness) I find it hard to believe 100% if the person really does drink like an alcoholic that they're mentally addicted due to the amount of holes, yes literal holes in your brain drinking alcohol causes.
Knowledge GOD.

laugh.gif
Too late now.

Knowledge GOD.
alien.gif

anyway, alcohol is certainly not the most addicting substance out there, nor is it one you are particularly likely to overdose on, but it is one of the most corrosive to the body and it is one of the few substances whose withdrawls can be fatal.

who cares what your baseless opinion of it is in terms of it being a "disease" or not, it's a sad and terrible condition i wouldn't wish on anyone. hopefully those who are afflicted with it can recognize their plight and seek help. don't know what else to add.......the physical harm it causes stops me from drinking too much.....otherwise i'd be drunk all the time. but i can definitely see how people go down that road.

laugh.gif
Too late now.

Knowledge GOD.
alien.gif

anyway, alcohol is certainly not the most addicting substance out there, nor is it one you are particularly likely to overdose on, but it is one of the most corrosive to the body and it is one of the few substances whose withdrawls can be fatal.

who cares what your baseless opinion of it is in terms of it being a "disease" or not, it's a sad and terrible condition i wouldn't wish on anyone. hopefully those who are afflicted with it can recognize their plight and seek help. don't know what else to add.......the physical harm it causes stops me from drinking too much.....otherwise i'd be drunk all the time. but i can definitely see how people go down that road.

Just sat through a AA meeting to support my friend. Definitely an experience.

Just sat through a AA meeting to support my friend. Definitely an experience.

I understand that you guys see Alcoholism as not a problem, and I respect that, but if it ran in your guys family like it did mine, I doubt you'd think of it so lightly.

My grandpa (dad's side), dad, uncle (dad's side), and grandma (mom's side) have all been considered alcoholics. It is heretitary (sp?) which can certainly frighten me. I've seen my dad in and out of probably ten different jobs in the past 12 years, a divorce, and a lot of others bad things all due to alcohol. Due to it running in my family, I tell myself I'll never drink much (I have maybe one at a party, but I've never been drunk nor even tipsy). Alcoholism is just something I myself don't take lightly. I just wanted to shed my information and opinion on the subject, thanks for reading.

I understand that you guys see Alcoholism as not a problem, and I respect that, but if it ran in your guys family like it did mine, I doubt you'd think of it so lightly.

My grandpa (dad's side), dad, uncle (dad's side), and grandma (mom's side) have all been considered alcoholics. It is heretitary (sp?) which can certainly frighten me. I've seen my dad in and out of probably ten different jobs in the past 12 years, a divorce, and a lot of others bad things all due to alcohol. Due to it running in my family, I tell myself I'll never drink much (I have maybe one at a party, but I've never been drunk nor even tipsy). Alcoholism is just something I myself don't take lightly. I just wanted to shed my information and opinion on the subject, thanks for reading.

Originally Posted by ku JHAWX

Yep alcoholism has a strong genetic component.

Originally Posted by ku JHAWX

Yep alcoholism has a strong genetic component.

im native american and i have seen the effects of alcoholism up close. i nearly drank myself to death a couple years, ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks, and i still binge drink but i wouldn't call myself an alcoholic. i'm irresponsible but i don't think i suffer from alcoholism the way ive seen other people. i think when people classify alcohol as a disease or mental illness, i don't think anybody's trying to make excuses for them. but there are people out there that can't drink the way normal people do.

Talbert

im native american and i have seen the effects of alcoholism up close. i nearly drank myself to death a couple years, ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks, and i still binge drink but i wouldn't call myself an alcoholic. i'm irresponsible but i don't think i suffer from alcoholism the way ive seen other people. i think when people classify alcohol as a disease or mental illness, i don't think anybody's trying to make excuses for them. but there are people out there that can't drink the way normal people do.

Talbert

Back
Top Bottom