Alcoholism

Originally Posted by Theta

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

i lost all respect for the DSM when they classified alcoholism as a disease. its @!#!*@ ridiculous.
Addiction is a mental illness. But a lot of people that call themselves alcoholics really aren't. Unless you're drinking a handle of vodka a day, losing your family/job  because of the habit, and go through some serious withdrawal symptoms you're NOT an alcoholic. There are criteria in the DSM to qualify as a true addict.

i disagree entirely that addiction is a mental illness. on what grounds can you justify that?

also if you read my post on another person's post about his buddy being an alcoholic, i said the EXACT same thing that you just said about people falsely being classified by their peers as an alcoholic.

Addiction is a disease of the brain, a little google search on the neuropathology of addiction should clear things up. It's not like I'm saying something ground breaking. Unless everything I've been taught about the brain, neurochemistry/pharmacology/addiction/human behavior to this point has been a lie.
laugh.gif

Ofcourse there are different severities and some drugs are more addicting/habit forming than others. It's all governed by the brain's addiction/pleasure centers, which are also responsible for the withdrawal symptoms you experience from discontinued usage.

It's common knowledge bro....eg. nicotine addiction is governed by the brain

http://www2.aaap.org/
Ok i know everything that you had already posted and lol i know addiction has to do with the brain. I have an issue of how mental illness is defined. It cant just be classified as a mental illness because it has to do with the brain (in that case, all illnesses are a subset of mental illness). As a result, the term becomes too broad and looses meaning. I just dont think you can say that because something involves the brain (as any type of physical response ultimately does). Lol by that definition, erectile dysfunction is a "mental disorder".

So what do you think we should classify it as? Let's hear it. Read what I posted about the connections between other mental illnesses and addiction. I don't know where else addiction would fall in subsets of illnesses, if you have a better term please do share.
I don't see why addiction needs to be placed into another category. Why cant addiction be its own, independent set in the same way that breaking your arm would fall under an independent set? I do recognize that there are connections between these, however I think the term mental illnesses should be limited to illnesses that are entirely or almost entirely mentally. Although addiction may ultimately stem from reactions in the brain (as do many, many other conditions), it is primarily characterized by physical implications (whether they be the craving for another dose, or the withdrawals that they incur).

An example of a purely mental illness would be something like bipolar disorder given that its implications almost all solely take place in the brain.

Just a thought.

I've read all of your posts, and you have no idea what you're talking about.

i lost all respect for the DSM when they classified alcoholism as a disease. its @!#!*@ ridiculous.
Addiction is a mental illness. But a lot of people that call themselves alcoholics really aren't. Unless you're drinking a handle of vodka a day, losing your family/job  because of the habit, and go through some serious withdrawal symptoms you're NOT an alcoholic. There are criteria in the DSM to qualify as a true addict.

i disagree entirely that addiction is a mental illness. on what grounds can you justify that?

also if you read my post on another person's post about his buddy being an alcoholic, i said the EXACT same thing that you just said about people falsely being classified by their peers as an alcoholic.

Addiction is a disease of the brain, a little google search on the neuropathology of addiction should clear things up. It's not like I'm saying something ground breaking. Unless everything I've been taught about the brain, neurochemistry/pharmacology/addiction/human behavior to this point has been a lie.
laugh.gif

Ofcourse there are different severities and some drugs are more addicting/habit forming than others. It's all governed by the brain's addiction/pleasure centers, which are also responsible for the withdrawal symptoms you experience from discontinued usage.

Ok i know everything that you had already posted and lol i know addiction has to do with the brain. I have an issue of how mental illness is defined. It cant just be classified as a mental illness because it has to do with the brain (in that case, all illnesses are a subset of mental illness). As a result, the term becomes too broad and looses meaning. I just dont think you can say that because something involves the brain (as any type of physical response ultimately does). Lol by that definition, erectile dysfunction is a "mental disorder".

So what do you think we should classify it as? Let's hear it. Read what I posted about the connections between other mental illnesses and addiction. I don't know where else addiction would fall in subsets of illnesses, if you have a better term please do share.
I don't see why addiction needs to be placed into another category. Why cant addiction be its own, independent set in the same way that breaking your arm would fall under an independent set? I do recognize that there are connections between these, however I think the term mental illnesses should be limited to illnesses that are entirely or almost entirely mentally. Although addiction may ultimately stem from reactions in the brain (as do many, many other conditions), it is primarily characterized by physical implications (whether they be the craving for another dose, or the withdrawals that they incur).

An example of a purely mental illness would be something like bipolar disorder given that its implications almost all solely take place in the brain.

Just a thought.

My dad is an alcoholic and currently going through his binge-drinking stage. It causes so much stress in my family. I think it finally hit a breaking point this time where I can't stand to be around the rest of my family because of him. I see how much my mom struggles but I've reached my limit and I can see she has too. It's a shame that so many people on both sides of my family are addicted to alcohol.
tired.gif

I'm a psychology major and I understand the argument of addiction and mental illness, but I still don't consider alcoholism to be a "disease". At least not in these sense like other diseases. I think it should be its own category.

My dad is an alcoholic and currently going through his binge-drinking stage. It causes so much stress in my family. I think it finally hit a breaking point this time where I can't stand to be around the rest of my family because of him. I see how much my mom struggles but I've reached my limit and I can see she has too. It's a shame that so many people on both sides of my family are addicted to alcohol.
tired.gif

I'm a psychology major and I understand the argument of addiction and mental illness, but I still don't consider alcoholism to be a "disease". At least not in these sense like other diseases. I think it should be its own category.

Originally Posted by IamMD

laugh.gif

Just a thought.

I didn't wanna be that blunt, but no no he absolutely doesn't.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by IamMD

laugh.gif

Just a thought.

I didn't wanna be that blunt, but no no he absolutely doesn't.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom