Alex Smith is a BUST

i know i speak for most of da yay area when i say smith is still the youngest starting qb in the league. dudes need to get off the man's ballsack. he stillgot a couple years until we draft jimmy boy from nd
devil.gif

i dont know anymore...is it the o-Line or does smith sucks?...i think its both but smith is garbage he cant throw and if he does he overthrows it orunderthrows it...thats it im done taLking bout the niners
mad.gif

he still got a couple years until we draft jimmy boy from nd
I hope you're not talking about Jimmy Clausen from ND.

laugh.gif

But on the real, it's really REALLY frustrating when you grow up watching the Niners succeed and win rings, then you gotta watch this BASURA.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by 2819

i know i speak for most of da yay area when i say smith is still the youngest starting qb in the league. dudes need to get off the man's ballsack. he still got a couple years until we draft jimmy boy from nd
devil.gif
I live in the Bay, see the games, and I will come out and say Alex Smith is in fact, a BUST.

The guy's ONLY chance to be an effective thrower is if he rolls out/on the move.

Everything else, he sucks. 3 step drop. 5 step drop. 7 step drop, whatever.

That's why you see the Niners call all these roll out passing plays, because that's like the only way he can throw the ball. And even then, he stillcan't complete his passes.

I don't see any flashes of potential really.

^did u watch his games last year? he clearly had/has potential. he was pretty good last year, good enough for us niner fans to believe he could break out thisseason.

Originally Posted by acidicality

^did u watch his games last year? he clearly had/has potential. he was pretty good last year, good enough for us niner fans to believe he could break out this season.
I attribute that to Frank Gore, really.

Defenses had to keep an eye out for Gore last season, and that IMO opened up the passing game, making Alex Smith look better than he really is/was.

Sure, we can say OC this. Frank Gore being injured that. OL this. Injures that, but, the fact of the matter is, how does a QB look THIS bad. ?

He looks [Charles]terrible[/Charles] out there.

^did u watch his games last year? he clearly had/has potential. he was pretty good last year, good enough for us niner fans to believe he could break out this season.

i watched the games last year and he still looked like a bust to me. norv did a great job masking alex smith's weaknesses by always calling shortpasses and dumpoffs and rollouts. he sucked pretty bad late last season as well.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 5288

biggest bust in niners history
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
it looks like he's just learning how to play QB.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

the good news is that the niners have the colts 1st round pick so they can draft a QB in the late first round.

biggest bust ever??
how about jj stokes, druckenmiller, mcgrew, rumph, webster, virtually any of the 49ers drafts in the secondary, woods, lloyd,uwaezuoke, virtually any WR drafted besides Owens and Rice, anthony adams, and the list goes on..

alex smith is serviceable at least.

also, the niners do a bad job with surrounding alex smith with talent. granted we have top flight skill players in VD and Gore, but that line is way too shabbyand our WRs are anything but top flight. hell, even eli manning has that. he's got a good line, running back, tight end, WR. niners are lacking a line anda big play WR. same goes with phil rivers. he's got that line, the RB, the TE, and now a top flight (supposedly) WR. even jason campbell has the line, RB,TE, and WR. did you guys see how miserable peyton manning was without his fave receiver and TE? even though he almost led them to a comeback.

Originally Posted by franchise3

I attribute that to Frank Gore, really.

Defenses had to keep an eye out for Gore last season, and that IMO opened up the passing game, making Alex Smith look better than he really is/was.

Sure, we can say OC this. Frank Gore being injured that. OL this. Injures that, but, the fact of the matter is, how does a QB look THIS bad. ?

He looks [Charles]terrible[/Charles] out there.

it was more than just frank gore. we had a better o-line last season which didn't carry over to this season. frank gore did well because of the o-linetoo, it wasn't just him. i don't think he's a bust yet, because i'd like to see him with better protection first, and hopefully a betteroffensive coordinator.

yeah Norv did do a great job, which is why we need him back
laugh.gif

obviously no one's making him out to be a superstar like a no. 1 pick should. but he's definitely a capable QB if the right things are behind him. evenin that Arizona game this season he's shown he has the ability to win games in the clutch. his mechanics are a bit off, but theoretically that can befixed, and his decisionmaking is so-so, but i've seen way worse.

how about jj stokes, druckenmiller, mcgrew, rumph, webster, virtually any of the 49ers drafts in the secondary, woods, lloyd, uwaezuoke, virtually any WR drafted besides Owens and Rice, anthony adams, and the list goes on..
seriously...we coulda done way worse than alex. altho i do wish we drafted aaron rodgers cuz i think he's better and also i'm a biased calfan, i still think he's gonna do well in the pros once favre retires.

I dont want to give up on Smith, but I just don't believe he has what it takes to be successful in this league. We need to go in another direction whateverthat may be.

Originally Posted by offbad

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

the good news is that the niners have the colts 1st round pick so they can draft a QB in the late first round.

biggest bust ever??
how about jj stokes, druckenmiller, mcgrew, rumph, webster, virtually any of the 49ers drafts in the secondary, woods, lloyd, uwaezuoke, virtually any WR drafted besides Owens and Rice, anthony adams, and the list goes on..

also, the niners do a bad job with surrounding alex smith with talent. granted we have top flight skill players in VD and Gore, but that line is way too shabby and our WRs are anything but top flight. hell, even eli manning has that. he's got a good line, running back, tight end, WR. niners are lacking a line and a big play WR. same goes with phil rivers. he's got that line, the RB, the TE, and now a top flight (supposedly) WR. even jason campbell has the line, RB, TE, and WR. did you guys see how miserable peyton manning was without his fave receiver and TE? even though he almost led them to a comeback.

yes, biggest bust ever. none of those guys you named were 1st overall draft picks. Smith was paid $50 million to be the franchise QB
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by srvballer

I dont want to give up on Smith, but I just don't believe he has what it takes to be successful in this league. We need to go in another direction whatever that may be.
Pretty much. Yeah Alex Smith might be a capable QB, but so was Tim Rattay.

In this day and age, you need a good/great QB to get a team far.

Alex Smith for the most part, has been bad/average at best.

nice article pretty much sums it for me:

Chronicles of a quarterbacking disaster

By Vince Chhabria
Monday, November 12th, 2007 at 11:12 pm in General news.

On Monday night, a national television audience was treated to the Alex Smith show. Here is what they saw:

Pregame show: Steve Young comments that the goal for Alex Smith should be just to make a few plays, so that even when the 49ers lose, fans will say,"yeah, but Alex Smith showed some flashes." This is what we've come to. The other 53 broadcasters on the ESPN pregame show agree that they havenot yet seen flashes from Smith. Chris Berman compares Smith to Rick Mirer.

First possession: On 1st and 10, Smith fakes the handoff and bootlegs to the right. Darrell Jackson is wide open deep. Smith holds on to the ball for too long,and then badly underthrows Jackson. The pass is broken up. A perfect play call by Jim Hostler to open the game. Terrible execution. On 3rd and 7, Jackson runsa 5-yard out to the left. Smith throws the ball way, way over his head. Ron Jaworski starts talking about how bad Smith's mechanics are. Specifically, henotes that Smith has a tendency to lock his left knee when he throws, which causes balls to sail. Smith has no chance to be good, Jaworski says, unless hefixes that.

Second possession: On 2nd and 9, Delanie Walker runs a 2-yard out to the left from the backfield. Smith throws it to his inside shoulder, requiring Walker tocontort himself to catch the ball, falling immediately for a two-yard gain. In fact, Walker hurts his ankle while contorting himself to catch the ball. HadSmith thrown the ball to the outside shoulder, Waker would have gained an additional three or four yards (in addition to not hurting his ankle). On the nextplay, Patrick Kearney comes in untouched and sacks Smith from the blind side, causing a fumble. That one is not Smith's fault. Vernon Davis missed hisblocking assignment.

Third possession: On 1st down Smith boots to the right and throws it out of the reach of Vernon Davis. He may have been throwing it away, because Davis wouldhave been stopped for no gain had he caught the ball, and there was tight coverage. Then there is a series of penalties (including a false start by Davis) thatmakes it 1st and 30. After a first down run, Smith throws a short pass to Gore out in the left flat. The throw is a bit low, causing Gore to stumble as heturns to run downfield. He gains seven yards. On 3rd and 17, they run the ball. Obviously the coaching staff does not trust Smith to convert a third and long.At this point I'm thinking it's too bad we don't have Tony Romo. From Smith's body language, it seems like he wishes he was Tony Romo too, andnot just because Romo gets to date Carrie Underwood. Smith's shoulders are slumped, and he has no fire in his eyes.

Fourth posession: This possession starts at the 49ers' one yard line. The coaching staff continues to show its lack of trust in Smith, calling all runningplays. On third down, Smith lines up at wide receiver, Battle takes the direct snap and runs a sweep for no gain. The broadcasters go ballistic, wondering why,if the team chose Smith number one, it doesn't trust him to convert a third and medium.

Fifth possession: Now the broadcasters are starting to feel sorry for the 49ers. Mike Tirico says, "ok, let's see if the 49ers can get a firstdown." Nope. On 2nd and 8, Smith is sacked by Julian Peterson. We can't tell if it's Smith's fault because the cameras don't show whetheranyone was open downfield. On 3rd and 11, Smith rolls to his right and hits Battle for an 8-yard completion along the sideline. This is Smith's firstdecent pass of the night, and it comes with 3:48 left in the half. But it is not enough for the first down.

Sixth possession: On 1st and 10 Smith throws a screen to the right to Gore. It's a little low, but Gore catches it for no gain. On 2nd and 10, Smith issacked on a corner blitz from the right. It is difficult to understand why he doesn't see the blitz coming, since it is right in his face. But clearly hedoes not see it, and as a result, he fumbles the ball away.

Seventh possession: The 49ers get the ball on their own 44 with 7 seconds left. Smith throws a 35-yard hail mary. Battle drops the ball, but the refs somehowrule it a catch. Maybe they were feeling sorry for Smith too. Maybe they realize that, without that completion, the 49ers would have had a grand total of sevenpassing yards for the first half, and no first downs.

Second half: Ok, you get the point. More of the same from Smith. More pity from the broadcasters.

Postgame show: Steve Young says this was the worst football he's seen. And he notes that Smith still hasn't shown any flashes that might give fanssomething to look forward to.

About a year and a half ago, I wrote that compared to other young QBs, it would take a lot longer to reach a verdict about whether Smith was worthy of thenumber one pick. I thought we wouldn't know until late 2008 or perhaps 2009. My reasoning was that Smith had very little starting experience in college,played in a gimmick offense when he did start, and had a terrible supporting cast in his first year with the 49ers, all of which made his learning curve much,much steeper than a guy like, say, Matt Leinart. But after Monday night, I don't know if that theory holds up any more. Steve Young is right. Smith gave usno reason for hope.

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/niners/2007/11/12/chronicles-of-a-quarterbacking-disaster/

man our o-line went from being pretty decent to just plan awful. i blame injuries, old age, and inexperience.

Originally Posted by offbad

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

biggest bust ever??

also, the niners do a bad job with surrounding alex smith with talent. granted we have top flight skill players in VD and Gore, but that line is way too shabby and our WRs are anything but top flight. hell, even eli manning has that. he's got a good line, running back, tight end, WR. niners are lacking a line and a big play WR. same goes with phil rivers. he's got that line, the RB, the TE, and now a top flight (supposedly) WR. even jason campbell has the line, RB, TE, and WR. did you guys see how miserable peyton manning was without his fave receiver and TE? even though he almost led them to a comeback.

yes, biggest bust ever. none of those guys you named were 1st overall draft picks. Smith was paid $50 million to be the franchise QB
mad.gif
mad.gif

ok yeah you're right. granted none of the people (almost typed "players" there for a sec) i mentioned were deemed saviors to our franchise(as QB #11 has been). however-- none of the guys i mentioned were even any good to the niners under any circumstances, no matter how much help they had aroundthem. for example, Stokes was around TO and Rice and couldnt get a CLUE about how to play the position. basically they were wastes of draft picks, roster spaceand cap room. however, i do believe that if QB #11 had the right circumstances, he'd be able to succeed.

Some of you guys seriously make real 49er fans look like the worst in the league. Some of you shouldn't even be called "fans".

His O-Line is terrible. Even if the O-Line was good his best Option is prob Davis which is not saying much. He has no help.

I already knew that he wasn't gonna be any good... I already knew that Jason Cambell would be the best QB out the top 3

Back
Top Bottom