Alex Smith is a BUST

Alex Smith = David Carr with less talent. NOT A GOOD LOOK.

I wonder how many of Frank Gore's years will be wasted with him......
Probably the same amount of time it took Texans fans to stop blaming everyone else for his problems.

WOW, some of you are just plain delusional... take the first play of the game. they run a great playaction pass, alex has ALL DAY to throw, d jack has 10 yardson his guy, and alex floats it up and it becomes a jump ball!!!

STOP making excuses for this dude, he sucks!!!

STOP bringing up last year. frank completely opened up the passing game last year which made alex's job so easy. alex can not make plays. end ofdiscussion, hes a bust

Times like these when I view other teams misfortunes and then look at us and how we got Ben at 11th and I think wow....A.Smith has one more year I say and thenhe's done

him and jason campbell throw about the same ball ... i was watching last nighta t all the overthrows/underthrows and pure misses ... its sad i felt bad fordude

How much guranteed money is left on the books for Smith?
He should defer that to some real O-linemen, considering they'll save his life.

2007-08 9ers Offensive Line = 2006-07 Raiders Offensive Line

I think the loss of Manny Lawson played a bigger role than any of us ever expected. Since we lost him after week 3, our defense has a hole at OLB. I thinkwe'll bounce back and finish with a mid-first rounder which will go to the Pats. bring Norv back after he gets fired this season.

Honestly it makes me want to cry.

I mean this proud franchise was on top for 20 years straight and now the laughing stock of the league. Maybe lions or cardinals fans can tolerate this *@** butI can't.

I just want the 49ers to win so badly and watching them play is disgusting.

@#** mike nolan. @#** jim hostler. @#** alex smith. @#** D Jax.

Just clone patrick wilis 21 times.

frown.gif

I knew that when Matt Leinert elected to stay in school and wasn't in the 2005 draft that the Niners would not be able to get a franchise QB from it. Assomeone said it was between Rodgers and Smith. Even now, neither looks good. Niners settled for their franchise QB.

If Alex were in a better situation of course he'd put up better numbers. And I really wish we had Rodgers instead...yea I remember on the news they weresaying Smith didn't complain about som weird football test that Nolan gave him
eyes.gif
, and apparently that was the reasoning in drafting him..that's pathetic. Smith may bemore mobile than Rodgers but everything else about him pales in comparison to Aaron.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Some of you guys seriously make real 49er fans look like the worst in the league. Some of you shouldn't even be called "fans".
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
What are we supposed to do?

Ride this Alex Smith wave, defend him at every chance when somebody criticizes him, even though it's becoming more clear that as each week goes by that heis NOT the answer for the 49'ers at QB?

I rather be a level headed "I see the bigger picture" 49'er fan than a Alex Smith is a 49'er, so how can you criticize him 49'er fan.

Originally Posted by parada45

His O-Line is terrible. Even if the O-Line was good his best Option is prob Davis which is not saying much. He has no help.
A lot of people say he has no help, and O-Line this and that, but JUST THROWING the ball. Getting the ball to open receivers, Alex Smith seems to havea hard time doing. Everybody watches the games. We all see this. What kind of #1 pick overall multi million dollar deal QB is that?
laugh.gif

It must suck to kno they cud have had Merriman... Him and Willis together=
eek.gif

Anyway, How are you going to draft a gimmick qb in college wit the 1st pick??
I always asked that, from the moment they made that selection
And Rodgers would not have been much better IMO...
Lookin back..There jus wasnt anyone to pick that year(besides Merriman or Ware)... Both Ronnie and Cadillac are hurt
And Braylon would have noone to throw him the ball...

No doubt, its time to give up on Alex Smith and move on if he's not trying to make any improvement on his own.

biggest bust in niners history
Naaaa.......I would give this to either Reggie Mcgrew, Jim Druckenmiller or Kwame Harris......we picked these dudes in the first round and arenteven good enough to be a career backups. Honorable mention is J.J. Stokes, Ahmad Plummer, WIlliam Floyd, R.J. Mcquarters and last but not least G

. Honorable mention is J.J. Stokes, Ahmad Plummer, WIlliam Floyd, R.J. Mcquarters and last but not least G

eek.gif
eek.gif
William Floyd abust??? Do tell.....

Its R.W McQuarters...Not R.J McQuarters by the way.....

Wow....Bar None a bust....
laugh.gif

All FSU homerisms aside....That's totally wrong....

William Floyd a bust?
There is no way in hell Bar None is a bust. He was awesome blocking for Ricky Watters, and a pro bowler... and McQuarters at least still plays inthe league.

Smith is the biggest bust ever because he was the number 1 pick overall.

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

biggest bust in niners history
Naaaa.......I would give this to either Reggie Mcgrew, Jim Druckenmiller or Kwame Harris......we picked these dudes in the first round and arent even good enough to be a career backups. Honorable mention is J.J. Stokes, Ahmad Plummer, WIlliam Floyd, R.J. Mcquarters and last but not least G

HAHA @ Bar None being a bust. A. Smith WILL be the biggest bust in niners history if he doesnt turn it around next season. When youre the number one picku have to live up to the expectations of being a number one pick. The players you mentioned sucked and were drafted in the late first round but they didnthave the high expectations that Smith has.

When are people going to open their eyes and realize that Smith hasn't been put in an environment to succeed?

Yeah, he's playing he isn't in sync with the receivers at all. This ***$ is killing me, we've been saying "next year is going to be ouryear" for years now. I really thought this year would be though. My opinion: Scout for O-line and Offensive Coordinators, if Alex Smith doesn'tperform well after those improvements, than I think he is done.

BTW, how long did it take until Carson Palmer got good, because I remember he was garbage for a minute to.

There is no way in hell Bar None is a bust.
You must be crazy, dude was a beast back in the day, no doubt about that.

When are people going to open their eyes and realize that Smith hasn't been put in an environment to succeed?

Yes he has, simply put he just isn't good enough to stand on his own and succeed. He's one of those players that needs an offensive coordinator likeNorv Turner in order to get the job done. That's why nobody was really complaining about him like that last year. He needs more than just your normalsupport staff and grouping that every quarterback has, it appears as if he needs somebody to hold his hand and guide him threw the routine situations andplays.

Also, how do I copy and paste my 49ers sig in my post and get it to show??

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Let's be real here though.

We all watch the games.

Alex Smith is more effective throwing the ball, when he is on the move. That's why the 49'ers call all these roll out plays for him. Not because hisWR is depleted. Not because his OL stinks. It's because he's more likely to complete his passes on the move, instead of in the pocket.

That should be a red flag in itself.

Yes, he doesn't have great talent around him. Yes, his OL stinks. But he still has D-Jack, who's a more than servicable WR. He still has VernonDavis, a freak of a TE. I mean, it's not like every single play, of every single game all his WR's are covered and he's being pass rushed.

Again, we all see the games.

Alex Smith can't even hit open receivers. He over throws them. He under throws them. He throws behind them.

Again, what kind of multi million $$ #1 pick overall QB is this?
sick.gif

One can make all the excuses in the world for Alex Smith, but we see him play.

His mechanics/demeanor/performance week in and week out tells the majority of 49'ers fans that he is NOT the answer.

Either way, the 49'ers have to get a QB in the offseason regardless. Whether it's through the draft or a FA, as somebody stated Dilfer is much betteras a coach than a backup QB.

Close to halfway through another terrible NFL game Monday night, the guys on the television broadcast had a brief but vibrant discussion about the NFL's inability to judge talent at the quarterback position. The topic arose after a pictorial rundown of all the brutal drafting decisions that have occurred over the past decade with No. 1 overall picks.

It just so happens that Alex Smith and the 49ers were playing Monday night, so the pictorial rundown of draft busts was timely. Smith seems poised to join Tim Couch as one the worst top quarterback picks in history. He's at least putting himself in the discussion.

Smith has been a huge disappointment; there's no argument there. His failures are made more glaring by the successes of guys like Tony Romo and Jeff Garcia and of course Saint Tom Brady, because those guys were either unregarded or lightly regarded coming out of college and they've been successful.

But removing the entire scouting/evaluation angle, I contend that coaches and organizations have as much responsibility for the draft busts as the quarterbacks themselves. This is especially true in the case of Smith and the 49ers, a classic case study for an NFL team's complete inability to innovate.

If you've watched the 49ers for as much as a series this season, you know they have one of the dullest, most poorly coached offenses in recent NFL history. In the first half against the Seahawks on Monday night, their one first down came on a desperation pass on the last play before halftime. And the receiver didn't even catch the ball.

Think about it, though: Smith was the No. 1 pick in 2005 mostly because he excelled in the fresh and innovative offensive scheme Urban Meyer created at the University of Utah. Meyer's version of the shotgun spread offense best utilized Smith's talents. It put a large number of receivers downfield, maximizing Smith's options and forcing him to make quick decisions. If nothing opened up quickly, Smith was fast enough and shifty enough to take off and gain yards in the middle of the mostly linebacker-free defense.

We have to assume that's what the 49ers saw when they scouted and evaluated Smith. Sure, there were combines that measured his athletic ability and psychiatric evaluations to assess his mental acuity, but the bulk of the available evidence came on the field in a University of Utah uniform.

So what do the 49ers do? They put Smith in a traditional offense, have him take seven-step drops behind an offensive line that is well below average in terms of pass blocking, and they wonder why they have the worst offense in a league full of bad offenses.

Does that make any sense?

To put it another way, can you imagine a successful college coach -- a guy accustomed to cycling new talent through his program every three or four years -- doing the same thing?

Last week I pointed out how many inexcusably awful teams are inflicting inferior football on the paying public, and one e-mailer seriously suggested this was "un-American." (Well, there's a vote for Giuliani.) The idea that a lot of people are watching the NFL with a critical eye, or at least not planning their entire Sunday around Raiders-Bears, apparently struck a nerve with those whose loyalty to the league leans a little toward the unnatural side.

But the Alex Smith situation is a perfect example of the rampant institutional arrogance of the NFL. It's bigger than just one player and one team and one coach. It gets to the root of why college football is the more entertaining product, and why the NFL has to rely on the Stepford-like devotion of its fans to continue to fill stadiums and empty their pockets.

There is no reason, right now, to believe Smith will ever be considered anything other than a horrible drafting blunder by a team that couldn't afford one. But most of the blame seems to fall on Smith -- he doesn't have the right instincts, he doesn't have the arm strength, he doesn't have the savvy to lead a team. In other words, Smith will be considered a bust forever, but the lack of creativity and intelligence will earn the 49ers coaches another job after they're inevitably fired from this one.

And somewhere, lost amid the white noise of the myth-making and myth-killing machine, someone might make a footnote of the fact that nobody ever came close to putting Smith in a position to succeed.

The truth is, most of the true innovations in football start at the college level. The shotgun spread is in wide use in the NFL now, but it started in college. College coaches adapt and experiment, maybe because they're less concerned with losing their jobs or maybe because they need to either win or lose in an entertaining fashion. There's also an element of necessity at work: Air Force doesn't have the size or the athletes to run the same offense as Notre Dame, but it can beat the snot out of the Irish by using misdirection and deception. If Mike Nolan coached Air Force, you get the feeling he'd put them in an I-formation, run straight ahead and use a seven-step drop on third-and-8. (Mouse Davis' run and shoot, really just an early version of the shotgun spread, was an imaginative failure in the NFL, and it might serve as a cautionary tale for coaches.)

Mike Leach might never win a national championship at Texas Tech, but I'll take three hours of his offense over six months of what the 49ers are dishing out. And if you turned over the NFL version of Alex Smith to Leach -- or to Meyer again -- I guarantee Smith would have better numbers, more wins and a hell of a lot more fun than he's having right now.

Damn... The Niners have been garbage for a long time now.
smh.gif

Oh and to stay on point with this thread... Alex Smith is terrible.

Back
Top Bottom