Am I the only one who's completely illerate to the MLB & NFL Leagues/Conferences?

I follow pretty much only one team per league, the Niners and the A's, but if you ask me about the Tamba Bay Buc's left tackle, or the Chicago Cubs ace pitcher, I'm completely in the dark. :lol:

And when I look at the Conferences/Leagues in both of the respective sports, I can never understand it.

AFC? NFC? Lolwut?

Two different Western Divisions? North South East West for each conference?! How in the world am I supposed to know which teams consider themselves American, and which teams display nationalism?

Same thing in the MLB, you trying to tell me I'm supposed to know which teams are in the NL Central?

I'm not saying the NBA is perfect, hell if I know why the New Orleans Hornets or the Memphis Grizzlies are in the Southwest Division, but at least it's relatively consistent, :lol:

I'm not a huge fan of either game, and I probably know more about Golf and Boxing than I do about either baseball or football, but it ain't never made sense to me. :nerd:

... the Cubs have an ace pitcher?

I'm only this way about the NHL if we're talking about North American major sports, and even then I feel like I know a few things.

Last edited:
AFC and NFC came from the two original leagues (AFL and NFL)

I've been into football since I was young so I know all the teams and divisions off head. I follow NBA also but I probably couldn't name all the teams in each division like I can for the NFL (it also doesn't matter nearly as much as it does in football).

AFC and NFC came from the two original leagues (AFL and NFL)

I've been into football since I was young so I know all the teams and divisions off head. I follow NBA also but I probably couldn't name all the teams in each division like I can for the NFL (it also doesn't matter nearly as much as it does in football).

See. If that was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, I'd probably go home broke. :lol:

MLB ain't the same though. Can't be. Right?

I somewhat know football only because its easier and it means a little more than the nba

NFL

Each division has 4 team

Each team plays everyone in the division twice (once at home, Once away) 6 games

Then each division plays against another NFC and AFC division ( NFC east played against AFC North and NFC south last year) 4 teams each division 8 games

Then two games are intraconference games determined by the standings of the previous year (, the first-place team in a division will play two first-place teams from a different division in their conference. (staying with the NFC east The first place team will play the first place teams in the remaining two divisions the North and the west)

Its a little confusing but as you watch you learn because if you are a decent fan u know what teams your team and others in the division will be playing.

NBA

Each team in the west plays everyone in the west 4 times twice at home twice away

edit: A team faces opponents in its own division four times a year (16 games). Each team plays six of the teams from the other two divisions in its conference four times (24 games), and the remaining four teams three times (12 games).

Sorry for the mistake i wasnt aware they didnt play each other division 4 times i guess they wanted to keep the season shorter

Each team in the west plays each team in the east 2 times once home and once away

Simple and to the point. Basically no matter where you live u have a chance to see anyteam play because they will always make a trip to each arena

Last edited:
I don't even know how to help with this :lol:

I"m 22 years old and started following the NFL in 2004. I simply watched football all day, every single week for the first year I followed(including morning shows, 3 games per Sunday, MNF, and nightly highlights).

As of today I can name pretty much name all the important players on every team.

Last edited:
When I first started watching football I didn't get it at all, but you watch enough and you just end up learning it.

NBA Divisions are relatively meaningless

I think compared to NFL and MLB, NBA divisions champions serve there purpose of clinching a playoff berth. I don't feel that just because you're a division winner, you should have home field against an opponent who was a better record than you.

Realignment has made things a little bit confusing, but ignorance is not a defense. It's not like you've been banned from ESPN.com and can't keep up with the Joneses.

NBA I can kinda understand because the divisions hold less weight, but the NFL and MLB they are always showing the division standings on the screen during games. Also in the NFL your team usually plays one division aside from your own each year, so I just picked up on it after awhile. Same with conferences in college, I could name every school in the Big 6 conferences off the top of my head pretty quickly. :lol:

I don't follow hockey as closely and with the realignment I have no idea what's going in anymore.

Back
Top Bottom