Known ANNOYING POP UPS/AD WHILE BROWSING NT

Hello, we've received your reports and have taken measures to block the URL. We're hoping this did the trick but if there's any other issues, please let us know and we'll check on it ASAP. Thanks everyone!

I've had more than a couple redirects on NT the last 2-3 weeks as well. I always mean to grab the full URL but what thread should we be post this stuff in?

Few screenshots I remembered to take:

Screenshot_20180420-201428_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180430-152734_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180424-155641_Chrome.jpg

I've had more than a couple redirects on NT the last 2-3 weeks as well. I always mean to grab the full URL but what thread should we be probabl this stuff in?

Few screenshots I remembered to take:

Screenshot_20180420-201428_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180430-152734_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180424-155641_Chrome.jpg

We've grabbed the URLs in the examples you sent in hopes that they won't come back after we block them. Thanks!

We've grabbed the URLs in the examples you sent in hopes that they won't come back after we block them. Thanks!

Should we just keep mentioning redirects in this thread or is there a better one within the Bug Reports section or something where I can drop full URLs in the future?

Should we just keep mentioning redirects in this thread or is there a better one within the Bug Reports section or something where I can drop full URLs in the future?

Essentially, if you give us:

1. A screenshot
2. The URL of the redirect
3. URL of the thread/post/area on NT you saw it or when it happened to you

Those are the best three pieces of information to start out with.

This is a Xenforo issue. Only happens when I visit NT, The Coli or Syracuse Fan. NT is paying money for this service and they aren't doing their job to protect their users from adware and malware.

Thanks for the reports, everyone. The team will have these ads blocked ASAP and work is underway on a more comprehensive solution. Additionally, we're looking at developing a premium ad free subscription option, so anyone experiencing these sorts of issues would be able to disable the ads while still supporting NikeTalk and helping us raise money for charity.

We'll have more details about that in the future. The more immediate concern is dealing with the current wave of bad ads.
This is a Xenforo issue. Only happens when I visit NT, The Coli or Syracuse Fan. NT is paying money for this service and they aren't doing their job to protect their users from adware and malware.
I can understand why you would suspect the forum software, given your sample, but the common denominator there isn't that all three sites use the same forum software: it's that all three sites rely, at least in part, on automated ad networks like Google AdSense, and utilize similar ad placement types. Have you ever noticed how some ads seem to follow you from one website to the next, and are influenced by your recent browsing history? (If you recently requested an online insurance quote, for example, you're likely to see insurance ads, etc.) Bad ads can appear to "follow" users across multiple websites that use the same underlying ad network(s).

Small, independent publishers don't have many options when it comes to advertising sources. Too often, bad actors take advantage of the automated nature of ad networks to run ads that behave in abusive ways, like generating pop-ups. In time, it's our hope that the screening processes deployed by these ad networks can be improved through AI or stricter limitations. At the moment, every time we successfully block an ad like this, a new one appears to take its place. Virtually every URL reported in this thread has been different.

For those who've chosen to continue to report theses issues rather than block all ads: thank you so much for your support. You're helping us remove the offending ads and keep NikeTalk online.

If there was a perfect ad network out there that never served bad ads and offered a lower payout, we'd use them instead. Sadly, these ads appear to be coming through the largest and supposedly "safest" provider, as we temporarily disabled all of the others weeks ago. We'll do our best to eliminate these ads and get your NikeTalk experience back where it needs to be.

It's been the worst the past few days. I'm getting the popup more than ever. I would take some screenshots but my storage is full, I am using my old throwaway device strictly for NT. :lol:

Yeah...been horrible the past few days...noticed if u leave the site on the screen for like a minute without scrolling, that's when they pop up the most

Can't recall what I was doing at the time anymore, and the full link isn't in my clipboard anymore.

Screenshot_20180510-133116_Chrome.jpg

Thanks everyone! We're investigating these reports. These are really tricky to catch (the bad guys know what they're doing) but for now, we're going to block the reported URLs.

Guess y’all have done a good job taking care of this, cause it’s been a minute since I’ve seen these random pop ups

Guess y’all have done a good job taking care of this, cause it’s been a minute since I’ve seen these random pop ups

We're trying with the latest technology to preemptively catch these bad ads. It's really difficult to catch a few bad ads from the millions of ads that are out there. Thank you very much for being patient with us. Cheers!

You have android or iphone?

I ask cause mine was still constitent with the ads and my phone was just stupid slow...plus would ALWAYS lag. That was until i did a hard reset on my iphone and router/modem cause i was having wifi connectivity issues so figured id reset everything.

I honestly think the malware got into my phone through the wifi by those ads, cause after i changed my wifi pw and did the hard reset, everything was much smoother and faster, i havent even got any ads.

Becareful guys!

You have android or iphone?

I ask cause mine was still constitent with the ads and my phone was just stupid slow...plus would ALWAYS lag. That was until i did a hard reset on my iphone and router/modem cause i was having wifi connectivity issues so figured id reset everything.

I honestly think the malware got into my phone through the wifi by those ads, cause after i changed my wifi pw and did the hard reset, everything was much smoother and faster, i havent even got any ads.

Becareful guys!

iPhone, though from reading this, I may just go ahead and do a reset as well

Back
Top Bottom