Another Paul Mooney Interview Vol. Quotables For Days

Originally Posted by Cz7

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Originally Posted by Cz7

Originally Posted by General Johnson

I don't know about you bro, or even if you're black, but I can out do anything any white person can do, and theres precedent that it can be done. I'm not using the crutch of "we're free, but yeah not really". Mental slavery is colorblind in this country, and you can certainly free yourself if you are so inclined to think for yourself.
You underestimate mental slavery greatly. Also if you've already made that assumption I don't get your first post in this thread at all unless you think only you made that assumption.

As for the second part they didn't make every African a slave. If you get what I'm saying, but if not it's good that your confident in your own abilities. I can kinda see you'd probably need to actually talk with the man to understand what he's saying.
I don't think I was the only one who made that assumption, but again I hope I am right in assuming even that.

What is it that I underestimate about mental slavery? that you cannot be emancipated from it?
You're focusing far too much on yourself as far as mental slavery goes.

Slaves didn't emancipate themselves one by one nor was civil rights fought every individual black person at a time.

Also if you realize mental slavery exists now and what it entails I don't see how you can type that like it's easily doable for all black ppl at themoment.

Originally Posted by Cz7

Originally Posted by Cz7

I don't know about you bro, or even if you're black, but I can out do anything any white person can do, and theres precedent that it can be done. I'm not using the crutch of "we're free, but yeah not really". Mental slavery is colorblind in this country, and you can certainly free yourself if you are so inclined to think for yourself.
You underestimate mental slavery greatly. Also if you've already made that assumption I don't get your first post int his thread at all unless you think only you made that assumption.

As for the second part they didn't make every African a slave. If you get what I'm saying but if not it's good that your confident in your own abilities. I can kinda see you'd probably need to actually talk with the man to understand what he's saying.
I don't think I was the only one who made that assumption, but again I hope I am right in assuming even that.

What is it that I underestimate about mental slavery? that you cannot be emancipated from it?

But I ain't equal

Come on Ant, you're not equal because here you are admitting to be so. Thats mental slavery.

this guy here.

sir let me tell you something. a 40yr old black man and white man can both have 1million dollars to spend. there are gonna be some things that the white mancan buy but the black man cannot.
the worst part about this fact is that its public and you know it damn well but you want to try and "break the chains" by declaring that you'reequal.
i can yell im a lion, but that doesnt make me king of the jungle.
stop being dumb and just say u were wrong.

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

Originally Posted by Nash

Originally Posted by Cz7

I think the slavery thing flew over your head Cz7...

Read between the lines. He was saying that at least then our limits were clearly pronounced and that there wasn't the facade that black people are equal to whites as there is now.

He's right about mental slavery. Our chains are still there they just painted them with freedom...
trust me I know this man does not want to be chained up on plantation picking cotton, atleast I hope I'm right in assuming that. But to even suggest that notion is a bit absurd given the gruesome history of slavery.

Not even close
tired.gif
If youre disagreeing with him, youre almost proving his point. Mentally youre declaring it impossible, so obviously nothing will change.

The mentality changes the circumstances.
I strongly and respectfully disagree. I am very much over buying into the idea that I'm the onlything keeping me down. I agree that racism is, to a degree, what you make it; but I am also well aware of the fact that there are hurdles that I am neitherresponsible for or able to remove.

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

Originally Posted by Cz7

Read between the lines. He was saying that at least then our limits were clearly pronounced and that there wasn't the facade that black people are equal to whites as there is now.

He's right about mental slavery. Our chains are still there they just painted them with freedom...
trust me I know this man does not want to be chained up on plantation picking cotton, atleast I hope I'm right in assuming that. But to even suggest that notion is a bit absurd given the gruesome history of slavery.

Not even close
tired.gif
If youre disagreeing with him, youre almost proving his point. Mentally youre declaring it impossible, so obviously nothing will change.

The mentality changes the circumstances.
I strongly and respectfully disagree. I am very much over buying into the idea that I'm the only thing keeping me down. I agree that racism is, to a degree, what you make it; but I am also well aware of the fact that there are hurdles that I am neither responsible for or able to remove
I agree with you there. My main point was that there's a mental aspect to it as well. That is what can be changed.

"but I am also well aware of the fact that there are hurdles that I am neither responsible for or able to remove"

I absolutely agree with you on that point.

Originally Posted by ChampionEdition

this guy here.

sir let me tell you something. a 40yr old black man and white man can both have 1million dollars to spend. there are gonna be some things that the white man can buy but the black man cannot.
the worst part about this fact is that its public and you know it damn well but you want to try and "break the chains" by declaring that you're equal.
i can yell im a lion, but that doesnt make me king of the jungle.
stop being dumb and just say u were wrong.

1. My opinion can't be wrong

2. Your analogy MAY be true, I may accept it if you give some specific examples, but what are you supposing that could change that problem, assuming you dothink it is a problem.
you just want to sit back and say, oh we aint as equal as dems white folks we aint gonna be ables to dos nothins like them.
eyes.gif

I strongly and respectfully disagree. I am very much over buying into the idea that I'm the only thing keeping me down. I agree that racism is, to a degree, what you make it; but I am also well aware of the fact that there are hurdles that I am neither responsible for or able to remove.

Forgive my optimism, I agree there are hurdles you are not responsible. But certainly do not agree you cannot remove, or if you team up with like mind peopleyou cannot remove them.

and to Zik on the individualism point, all the "you's" can replaced with "we's" or the "black race as a whole"

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

Originally Posted by Cz7

Buz Killington to the rescue

Hahahaha word.

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

Originally Posted by Cz7

Buz Killington to the rescue

Hahahaha word.

Originally Posted by Cz7

But I ain't equal
Come on Ant, you're not equal because here you are admitting to be so. Thats mental slavery.

It's outside of our power dude, whether we like it or not. Even a self enlightened person can do nothing but help start a movement towards equality.

If every black person isn't on the same wavelength towards betterment, then we won't get anywhere.

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

Originally Posted by Cz7

But I ain't equal
It's outside of our power dude, whether we like it or not. Even a self enlightened person can do nothing but help start a movement towards equality.

If every black person isn't on the same wavelength towards betterment, then we won't get anywhere.

so lets just all become comedians and make jokes about the situation, because THAT will certainly make it better.

I know you didn't say that, but if we you contend that we are powerless to control or alter our own situation then what the hell do we do.

and to Zik on the individualism point, all the "you's" can replaced with "we's" or the "black race as a whole"
If it was as easy as replacing one word for another wouldn't it have already been done?

Originally Posted by Cz7

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

Originally Posted by Cz7

But I ain't equal

so lets just all become comedians and make jokes about the situation, because THAT will certainly make it better.

I know you didn't say that, but if we you contend that we are powerless to control or alter our own situation then what the hell do we do.

You're giving his words too much power.

How am I suppose to know a solution to equality?

"Oprah is a double agent," haha...
roll.gif

I like Paul Mooney but I can't help but think his racist too...
ohwell.gif

Man yall throw that word around so much especially when race is being discussed in a truthful and in this case a comedic light.

Originally Posted by papageorgeo

roll.gif

ohwell.gif

Hes def racist. What i like about him though is he calls it like it is. He dont just get on white people doing wrong, hell get on the black people doingwrong by there people too. He occasionally goes overboard though. Oprah line had me
roll.gif

Why ya'll fighting? All have made strong points.

Truth there is mental slavery across the board, not just black folk lets not get it twisted.

Truth we can free ourselves from it and do our best to fulfill our desires.

Truth it is something that cannot be stopped across the board.

Truth we still have revolutionaries today because of mental and physical slavery across the world.

Truth a lot of us don't see or hear about these revolutionaries because we are in America and yes I think we are lacking a black leader who empowers ourrace as whole like Martin, Malcolm, Huey, or Bobby.

roll.gif

ohwell.gif

To be honest I feel like any African American that lived through the civil rights movement and faced those hardships has the right to be a little stand offishif anything of the same people he watched sick dogs and fire hoses on people that looked just like him. Hell I'm sure Paul has a FEW stories of his own.I'm not saying it's right, but....

I UNDERSTAND

I've been saying that about Oprah for years.

She's got people brainwashed.... she could slap a big O on a package of cigarettes and get everyone and their mother to buy four packs.

Originally Posted by UrN0tLike

roll.gif

ohwell.gif

Hes def racist. What i like about him though is he calls it like it is. He dont just get on white people doing wrong, hell get on the black people doing wrong by there people too. He occasionally goes overboard though. Oprah line had me
roll.gif

They should re-make "Grand Torino" with Paul Mooney in it. Where's David Chappelle to make this happen?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

roll.gif

ohwell.gif

To be honest I feel like any African American that lived through the civil rights movement and faced those hardships has the right to be a little stand offish if anything of the same people he watched sick dogs and fire hoses on people that looked just like him. Hell I'm sure Paul has a FEW stories of his own. I'm not saying it's right, but....

I UNDERSTAND
and thats the main point. that guy knows more about being black than any of us on here can hope to know.
he was doing comedy at a time when they would barely let blacks get on the stage.
and to dude, its not about bowing down, its about realizing the situation at hand and acting accordingly.
why jump right into the fire when there is a path around it to the top?

he sounds real ignorant

he doesn't care that the president is black because there has only been one?

a pregnant mexican woman dies from the heat of picking something in the heat and he says that's why blacks made the best slaves?

everything he said about slavery was stupid

Man yall throw that word around so much especially when race is being discussed in a truthful and in this case a comedic light.
MAYBE, if this was a stand up show, and even then I wouldn't really concede to this being purely in "comedic light". It'sobvious hes a comedian and is making some fun, but I also think it's obvious he might really think these things or at least the concepts behind themoutside of a comedic situation.

and to dude, its not about bowing down, its about realizing the situation at hand and acting accordingly.

sounds like bowing down to me.

Man aint noting progressive about saying just do this or just do that or just think this way.

what is progressive then? honest question

Back
Top Bottom