another race thread: white privledge

dont think this was directed at me, but i'll answer anyway. No i wouldn't. but i also wouldn't ignore the fact that i did get a head start. i wouldn't have an "if i did it, so can you" attitude.

thats his point tho, if the head start is acknowledged then the ugliness that paved the way for it has to be, and america is never going to embrace the things it was truly built on,

greed, hatred and exploitation

dont think this was directed at me, but i'll answer anyway. No i wouldn't. but i also wouldn't ignore the fact that i did get a head start. i wouldn't have an "if i did it, so can you" attitude.

That's the issue tho. So many white people ignore the head start they receive and start reciting how they're great grandfather who've they've never met was a poor immigrant and if their family can make it why can't black people :lol: (That's a real example by the way)

I'm not nearly as mad about white privilege as I am about the DENIAL that it exists. Acknowlege its existence, recognize why it exists, and work towards making America equal for all races. It doesn't have to be "white guilt" just work to make a better America for everybody. Why people can't understand this simple concept baffles me.

I really like when Jon Stewert and O'Reilly debate. It's just very entertaining in a very intellectual way.

Is the daily show site the only place I can watch the full interview? I hate that they do that. They did it again last night when they basically had a continuation of that topic with an author and they were gonna get to the meat of the solution as far as the debate about race chart needs to be had in this country.

I don't like the term "White Privilege", I would say it's more like "Class Privilege".
White ppl of different class enjoy the privileges that come with being white though.

Like you have to understand what you're doing is part of what is now a much bigger problem. Straight up denying white privilege exists and wanting to call it another name so it only applies to a specific group within your larger group. Shifting blame and deflecting :smh:
:smh:
This fool said "I prefer the term, class privilege." :rofl:
It's crazy cuz that in itself is white privilege.

Sounds like a well off white person not wanting anything to do with all white ppl so let me further distance myself from black ppl by saying well there's also poor white ppl as well.
Flamesuit on.....

Privledge is real in America but in this day an age....not an excuse.

Its late I got a headache. Nobody owes you anything in this world. Just how I feel. I make ppl look past my color.
I don't understand why when white privilege is discussed after we get past the hurdle of establishing it does exist ppl on the other side of the aisle wanna act like ppl are skiing for handouts.

How about we eliminate the white privilege so they don't get treated like they are owed something while others are not?
Just so everyone knows, Asian people make more money in North America than white people.

How about dat Asian privilege though?  
You really just gonna parrot Bill O'reilly in here?

:smh: :stoneface:
Bill said his upbringing made him who he is in the present.

Then says he grew up in an area blacks weren't allowed. Then says white priveledge doesn't exit.

He owned himself
He says it is a factor. He said it in the video. 

He also admits that minorities have it rougher than other people in contemporary society. 

I just don't get what you guys want him to say? He knows where his bread is buttered.
Yeah, it took some teeth pulling on Stewart's part to get Bill to finally admit that. Son's whole idea of it was presented so he could make this discussion difficult or maybe he purposely was being thick headed in order not to come out and admit it.

Him being paid to put on this act that you're alleging doesn't change that he was initially wrong.
Arrest_of_Henry_Louis_Gates.jpg

View media item 1222193
They don't care how much money you have or don't have. End of the day you will still be discriminated against because of the color of your skin.

Where did I say skin color wasn't an issue?

You think anyone from Oprah's or Professor Gates' kids or immediate family members are going to have an issue getting into Harvard compared to Black people that live in the inner-city? And why is that? Because of the Class they are both in. Because of the Class they are in enables them to have connections to pull strings. Does a qualified Black child living in the inner-city have that privilege?
If this is your stance then I'll just say class privilege has nothing to do with this topic and your first post in here was just out of place.

Yes there is class privilege. That's not really an issue. Country runs on capitalism

Rich black kids caught in the wrong place will still get discriminated against and racially profiled despite their net worth unlike rich white kids.
america is more like have or have not these days imo
If you're just plain lucky in life or ignore white privilege or how you're treated at times by certain ppl due to the color of your skin then yeah I can see how one would think that.

How any white person can deny white privilege is beyond me. A lie in black America's face

How any white person can deny white privilege is beyond me. A lie in black America's face

They don't realize it exists because they are the ones receiving it. Then again, many try to play ignorant about it thinking it will make them feel less "guilty" about it.

Most have to understand that Africans that were enslaved weren't brought over here to live in unity w/ whites nor were they invited to come as with other nationalities.

chinese were slaves for railroads too, yet they dont have the stigmas african americans do in todays society

If you're truly not sure how the Asian "slave" trade went, look it up.I don't think you were being a doosh.. Just uninformed

It has been documented SEVERAL times by several historians of all ethnicities that the African slave trade was BY far the most inhumane treatment and use if labor in documented human history.

They weren't sold as Stock, forced to give up their religion or language, or had laws specifically targeting them.

View media item 1223444
Quick Wikipedia on coolie will give you a history on it, but there are several articles.

All Stewart had to ask Bill was if White privilege does not exist, would you then have a show?

Imagine a Black man having a nationally televised show, spouting opinions and then being as confrontational as O'Reilly. 

Nat X

I would like someone to define white privilege for me and lay out what exactly it grants. And miss me with the "Everything man" because thats ludicrous. It seems like many people in here use it as a catch-all for pretty much everything that seems off. Am I denying that there are situations in life when a black person has it a bit tougher than his white counterpart? No. But I really hate how some of you guys seem to think that white people have it inherently easier and that our lives are paved with roses and free stuff. "Oh well a black man can't do this because of white privilege, a black woman can't do that because of white privilege, the only reason that white person succeeds is because of white privilege." How is Bill O'Reilly having a show an example of white privilege? 

They weren't sold as Stock, forced to give up their religion or language, or had laws specifically targeting them.

View media item 1223444
Quick Wikipedia on coolie will give you a history on it, but there are several articles.

The Irish were. Look it up. Then I dare you to put slave in quotes.

Just read up on that, never even knew before or even taught about this and I'm a History major.

And while messed up, I don't recall the Irish going through the same things that their fellow former slave counterparts of African decent go through.......Which is a clear example of white privilege.

chinese were slaves for railroads too, yet they dont have the stigmas african americans do in todays society
do we really have to go down this road
mean.gif
 my point wasnt to say that chinese were slaves in and of itself

rather that they were slaves to an extent, but for some reason werent subjected to the same treatment in this country as black people were/have been

Last edited:
I would like someone to define white privilege for me and lay out what exactly it grants. And miss me with the "Everything man" because thats ludicrous. It seems like many people in here use it as a catch-all for pretty much everything that seems off. Am I denying that there are situations in life when a black person has it a bit tougher than his white counterpart? No. But I really hate how some of you guys seem to think that white people have it inherently easier and that our lives are paved with roses and free stuff. "Oh well a black man can't do this because of white privilege, a black woman can't do that because of white privilege, the only reason that white person succeeds is because of white privilege." How is Bill O'Reilly having a show an example of white privilege? 
http://amptoons.com/blog/files/mcintosh.html

The Irish were. Look it up. Then I dare you to put slave in quotes.

Just read up on that, never even knew before or even taught about this and I'm a History major.

And while messed up, I don't recall the Irish going through the same things that their fellow former slave counterparts of African decent go through.......Which is a clear example of white privilege.

Thanks for answering it for me

my point wasnt to say that chinese were slaves in and of itself

rather that they were slaves to an extent, but for some reason werent subjected to the same treatment in this country as black people were/have been
my b famb.

Just so everyone knows, Asian people make more money in North America than white people.

you maybe right but what is the main race in media today, for the past 100 years white. they are everywhere in charge of everything and anything lets stick on topic.

It seems to me that obliviousness about white advantage, like obliviousness about male advantage, is kept strongly inculturated in the United States so as to maintain the myth of meritocracy, the myth that democratic choice is equally available to all. Keeping most people unaware that freedom of confident action is there for just a small number of people props up those in power and serves to keep power in the hands of the same groups that have most of it already.

White lady brought that real...

Very much evident in these types of threads.

I never looked at it this way.

I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege. So I have begun in an untutored way to ask what it is like to have white privilege. I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was "meant" to remain oblivious. White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools , and blank checks.

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.
3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.
10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.
11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.
12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.
13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.
14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.
15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.
16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.
17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.
18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.
19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.
23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.
24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.
25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.
26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.
27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.
28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.
29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.
30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.
31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.
32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.
33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.
34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.
35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.
36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.
37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.
38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.
39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.
40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.
41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.
42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.
43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.
44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.
45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.
46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.
47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.
48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.
49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.
50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.

Last edited:
"I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race"

/thread

lol @ this notion of teaching white privilege. Kids in this country are taught to draw pictures of  Christopher Columbus smiling n $%##, you think they're going to teach about how being in this nation is a privilege?:lol:
The Colombus love bothers me man. Dude pioneered the genocide of Native Americans.

you maybe right but what is the main race in media today, for the past 100 years white. they are everywhere in charge of everything and anything lets stick on topic.
The president of the US is black btw. 

And that President has been disrespected like no other President ever has before in the history of the United States.

Back
Top Bottom