Anthony Bourdain dead at 61. RIP

This seems far more relevant today...from his interview with Kevin Pang from the Takeout.

AVC: You ended that segment by telling the president about your daughter. You asked him “Is everything going to be okay?” So, I want to ask you, as a father of an 8-month-old son: Is everything going to be okay?

AB: Well, look, he’s privy to the National Intelligence Brief every day. He gets the real, presumably the best possible, most accurate intelligence on a daily basis, so he knows far better than us what’s actually going on in the world and how ugly it might get. He seemed optimistic. He didn’t hesitate. He said, “It’s going to be okay.”

AVC: Are you optimistic?

AB: I think on balance. You know, it’s not the world I would have wanted, for sure. I’m certainly dismayed by what I’m seeing now. There’s a lot of ugliness of a kind I’ve never seen in my lifetime, or heard in my lifetime. But, look, I’m a romantic. I’m hopeful.

Rest in Power.

As someone said before, he probably seen a lot of ****ed up **** while traveling.

Not saying that was the cause, but yea...

r.i.p.

you can't say he cut his life short because he lived every moment to the fullest. I only know him through his show but he seemed like a genuinely good person who experienced everything there is to experience in life.

He's like a pioneer to the travel/food shows that probably inspired some people to do the same stuff on Youtube. Been awhile since I've seen his shows. RIP

Damn. I never feel this way about celebs but his show is one of the reasons why I have an open mind about so many things happening around the world.

Man was a pioneer IMO and made me want to see, appreciate, accept people of every walk of life in all corners of the world. RIP to a real one.

I can't believe it. Definitely a huge inspiration why my wife and I travel. I wish his family the best. RIP.

Suicide is usually the end result of depression which is an illness. You can't blame someone or call someone selfish for being sick. On the outside it looks like a selfish act but I don't think someone with a rational and healthy mind is going to off themselves. It's a mind altering disease. We have to treat depression as if it's as serious as cancer.

Suicide is one of the strangest phenomenons. The strongest human instinct is to survive. He must have really been hurting. RIP.

“To be trapped in a burning building, smoke suffocating you, flames advancing, and the only escape is to jump out the window.”

If you’ve ever been trapped in a burning building, that’s probably a great way to understand what these people go through each time.

"I should’ve died in my 20s. I became successful in my 40s. I became a dad in my 50s. I feel like I’ve stolen a car — a really nice car — and I keep looking in the rearview mirror for flashing lights."

- Anthony Bourdain

Great quote. Really encapsulates the struggle. As a former dirtbag that has lucked into a great life, I can relate. That lucky feeling comes with a lot of guilt.

So what if it IS selfish, doesn't a human have the RIGHT to be selfish with THEIR own life?

I said the same thing when folks kept calling Kyrie selfish for wanting to leave CLE and have his "own" team. Uhm, isn't EVERY move a player makes, SELFISH.

So if it is or isn't selfish doesn't matter. Do what you want to do with your life.

Definitely a person I admired, from my own ambitions as a writer, and then in my sobriety and his approach about it.
As long as there is an episode on the cities I visit. I will always watch it as prep for the trip.
thanks for
NYC
Paris
New Orleans
Hawaii
London
and in advance for
Austin
Tokyo

and anywhere else my travels may take me

RIP

This one is kinda hittin me hard

My real dad. Choked up hearing the news this morning. Just watched the Hong Kong episode, too.

Nothings selfish about suicide. It’s selfish to think that way.

Mental health is real.
I’m thinking more along the lines of
The burden u place in ur loved ones
Besides the anguish
Grief and things like that
The debt
Remember ur debts transfer to ur fam
As well as ur life insurance doesn’t pay out
If you die by suicide
So that burden imo is placed on ur fam
So imo I don’t think it’s selfish to think that way
Me as a father