Anthony Bourdain dead at 61. RIP

Right after Kate Spade too, baby boomer gen has high depression rate?
Nope. All generations. Suicide rates are way, way up. Pressures of social media? Pressure of stagnant wages? Who knows

I'm half joking but that Logic song didn't do anything :smh:

So what if it IS selfish, doesn't a human have the RIGHT to be selfish with THEIR own life?

I said the same thing when folks kept calling Kyrie selfish for wanting to leave CLE and have his "own" team. Uhm, isn't EVERY move a player makes, SELFISH.

So if it is or isn't selfish doesn't matter. Do what you want to do with your life.
Suicide
And leaving a basketball team
Cause ur not the main guy
Is a false parallel
But yeah everyone has the right to be selfish
With their own life
But I also have the right to call folks out on it
Mind u
I get it I understand mental health
I’ve been in very dark places in my life
Very dark
But each time
I had to think about my kid and my girl
Who depend on me
I can’t let them down
And put them in a bad place
by me Wanting to escape it all

Avicii
Chester Bennington
Chris Cornell
Kate Spade
Anthony Bourdain

Just in the last year or so. Damn :smh:

the man was a true inspiration in my life and so many others, it hurts to learn that he was no longer enjoying the ride.

the human family is slightly closer because of his work in life, and I can do nothing but respect it.

he birthed a generation of enthusiasts...I hope that stands as his legacy.

This was outta no where.

Adam , the other Adam from man vs food and Andrew Zimmerman are those dudes man.

R.I.P.

Just because he traveled and had a hit show didn’t mean he was happy. Entertainers (people in general) can have all the success but still be depressed / miserable.

I think Jim Carrey was the one that said majority of comedians are fighting depression.

Literally teared up reading about his death. Used to binge watch No Reservations all the time with my then-girlfriend years back. Loved his personality and IDGAF attitude. He's someone you'd just love to have a beer and a chat with. Gonna have to pick up Kitchen Confidential now.

R.I.P.

I've been watching his shows forever. Even "The Layover" was solid. Tony inspired me to travel to Panama, Colombia, Montreal, and Macau.

Truly heart broken.

So what if it IS selfish, doesn't a human have the RIGHT to be selfish with THEIR own life?

I said the same thing when folks kept calling Kyrie selfish for wanting to leave CLE and have his "own" team. Uhm, isn't EVERY move a player makes, SELFISH.

So if it is or isn't selfish doesn't matter. Do what you want to do with your life.
Unless you view life as a gift. Something you didn’t earn and want to show respect for that gift.

Mental illness, depression, etc (too broad to make a general statement), has a common thread. When dealing with it you have a tendency to become fixated or overly concerned with yourself (how I feel, how things are affecting me, why do I feel this way and so on). When you get in this headspace it can make your problems feel overwhelming and that there is no way to deal with it. This coupled with the aftermath loved ones have to deal with is why suicide is often viewed as being selfish. By definition selfish is just looking out for yourself and how others are affected becomes less important.

This is one reason why people suffering are encouraged to help others who need attention. It reminds you that your situation may actually be better than what some are dealing with and there is some real satisfaction to be gained by picking someone else up.

Bourdain’s shows, Shark Tank, and The Profit are the shows the wife and I sit down and watch together. Guy was very talented and made it easy to learn about places on this planet we may or may not get to see in our lifetimes.

It's a mixed bag for me.

My Sister in laws BF commited suicide about 5 years ago.
They had a fight and she left with a friend to get their nails done and cool off.
She found him hanging in the garage when she got back.
My wife and I meanwhile were having one of the greatest days ever being married, when we got the call at 11pm.
Besides ambulance, we were the only family there.
So i had to call/wakeup a bunch of people I didn't know to tell them my SIL wouldn't be into work and why, then call my brother in law and his wife wake them up and tell them. So after they roll him out, because he was in there the entire time,
at about 2am we had to drive my SIL down to his parents house so she could tell them the news while my wife and I awkwardly sat in another room, listening. Oh yeah, it gets complicated because he and my wife worked together, she actually got him the job, so then she had to deal with it not only on the family side, but on the work side too. We had to clean out their house(with help, of course) and had a memorial for him and then his parents with my SIL buried him in their own private thing.

Was I mad? Oh Definitely, he did this 4 months after my wife and I tied the knot in Hawaii, in a ceremony he attended, we even danced together(I led) and it still blows my mind that there's pictures of that and then 4 months later he's gone. I remember after they were done crying in the other room.
His dad came up to my wife and I and apologized for how selfish his son had been. I kinda agree with him. Especially when it comes to how my wife was affected, how my SIL found him and will be changed forever and how it kinda just threw everyone else off its axis.
Some of that responsibility has to fall on the person. I mean I tried to reach out and hang out one on one, he had interesting hobbies and I was interested, and was brushed off.
Being in sobriety has taught me to speak up, I had 10 months sober and then relapsed, now I have a year and 8 months, still going strong.
the difference? I'm extremely more vocal about how things and situations and people make me feel. I do my best to not compartmentalize any type of way I'm feeling. It's extremely important that I communicate.

Then I see the other side of the coin and where I was and how hard it is to admit you have these problems, and how at one point I would've rather have died then to admit that I have a problem. It's not the easiest thing, its actually really hard and something I still struggle with sometimes. The important thing is I have a great support group, but I wouldn't have had that, if I didn't communicate.

You know at the end of the day, I don't know how he was feeling or what he was going through. I just wished he reached out, because everyone has problems regardless, everyone does. It's just a shame that we are conditioned that we need to hide them to our peers and more importantly to ourselves, or we will be condemned for them(at least that's the perception)

Nobody should have to live like that

I had a distant cousin That committed suicide. I grew up thinking it was selfish.

20 years later I had a closer cousin who got diagnosed with a mental illness.

Til you see it up close and see someone as close as they could be to you. You get a better understanding of it. Ive regretted thinking my distant cousin was selfish. It’s really selfish of me to be so closed minded thinking i know what these people are going through day to day.

The easiest thing is to tell a person to get help and go about your day. But how many times have you gotten sick or felt like your broke something and didn’t think to even go and seek medical assistance?

I attempted suicide, won't lie.

Cut my wrist/arm at the age of 16, mom found me and took me to the hospital. I got stitched up and here i am now.

I felt ashamed. My life wasnt easy growing up, didnt have a father figure and my mom was never around...always out and about doin her thing. I never felt loved. I was jealous of other familys.

Social media came and that didnt help. Seeingpics of others. I didnt know how to be happy...with myself and my life.

Fast forward to today, Ive been seeing a therapist which helps. I have a family now, wifey with two kids and life couldnt be better.

All in all, i appreciate the second chance...and also life.

“To be trapped in a burning building, smoke suffocating you, flames advancing, and the only escape is to jump out the window.”

If you’ve ever been trapped in a burning building, that’s probably a great way to understand what these people go through each time.

this is probably the best analogy for depression I've ever heard...there's no escape in life from your own body, your own enduring circumstances.

terminal illness, chronic pain, the full weight of the human condition...there are conditions in which life is no longer a gift, but a curse.

I've been lucky enough never to deal with it, but I can't say how I would respond or judge the next man for dealing with his.

Back
Top Bottom