Any 25 & over NTers Already In School Or Planning On Going Back?

I'm 28 and went back for grad school.
One of the best decisions of my life...reliving my glory college years 
pimp.gif

Took a couple of grad classes at USC but stopped cuz i wasn't sure of pursing that degree. Glad that my current employer paid for my schooling though. Really will miss that now that i'm considering leaving... Still not sure what i want to focus on.

Turn 27 in October, going to start MBA program at Yale in August. My brother doing it also at Yale, he coming straight from undergrad. EXCITED. I encourage anyone to do the same.

I'm currently a 31 year old senior majoring in accounting hoping to graduate next year, and take the CPA exam. 
I worked as an accounting clerk when I was 21, and became a staff at 26.  There was no way of getting promoted to senior, managerial, or directorship without any degree.  I know that I will automatically be promoted to senior once I get my BS.  After that, I am planning to pursue an MBA.  I know for sure that an MBA and a CPA license will open up many doors for me.  
When I first stepped foot at a community college at 27, I knew that this will be a long journey.  I also felt pretty old at times because some of my classmates were 18 years old.  Looking back, I'm glad that I took that first step because the journey has been worth it so far, and I can see the finish line one year from now.  I have been taking 12-17 units a semester while working full time.  I am currently taking 15 units with a full time job.  I cannot stop working because I am supporting myself.  I am very strategic about my classes to balance school, life, and work.

Originally Posted by wj4

I don't post on this board regularly anymore, but I want to share this advice with the OP and anyone else who is determined to make it. I still use this advice to ensure my short term goals are reached. It was told by a close professor I had.

Set your goal and objective for the next 3-5 years. Write down ways you can reach the goal and objective. Be realistic. Stay determined and focused. When you feel like you're drifting away, revisit the plan to get back on track. Lastly, socialize with those that are like you and supportive of you.

An example may be: I plan to get my bachelor's in the next 3-5 years. In order to reach that goal, I can't work full time anymore because classes are getting harder so I need to drop down to 20 hours a week at max. This means my income will be less so I need to stop buying clothes, going out so much.

I know it sounds simple and corny, but it really does work.

Good luck to the OP and those who are on the grind!
Excellent advice and I'm going to do this today 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by Retro23J

This. I prefer for my employer to pay for it though.

Gotta get employed first though
ohwell.gif

i hear about this alot. how do you find programs like this?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
A lot of companies out there value higher education, even if what you're going after may not be related to the field you work in.  However, due to the current economy state, many companies cut back on such offering.  Companies such as Boeing were notoriously generously in this department.  They would pay for your school regardless of the price, and in return I believe you had to work 2 years after your graduation for them.  Nowadays, many firms have a cap of some sort, ie $10k a year or your continued study must relate to your line of work some how.  And of course this is only for graduate programs.  You need a BS/BA first to land the job with the aforementioned benefit.

The offering should be listed under benefits when you apply.  It's one of the few things a company can utilize to set itself apart from its competitors and retain the valued employee for the long run.

You must perform in a God like manner to obtain even a 5% yearly raise.  An educated person with enough experience will not stick around a firm for long at this rate.  He/she will work at that firm for a couple of years and make the jump to a new company, which will generally be a 20-30% pay increase...a lot more than the measly 5%/year at best.  This is exactly what I did.  After I had the experience at my first employer, I didn't get a good enough raise, and I left for a significantly higher pay elsewhere.  Tthe old company lost an employee as a direct cost and indirectly will have to spend money to train a new person to replace me in the mean time.  Offering of this is designed to combat the employees from leaving, especially if he/she is interested in going back to school.
PM in a minute, brudda... seems like you got the information that i need.
anyone else know about this deal? employers paying some of your school?

this would HEAVILY sway where i'm trying to get a job at once i finish this Finance program...

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by wj4

i hear about this alot. how do you find programs like this?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
A lot of companies out there value higher education, even if what you're going after may not be related to the field you work in.  However, due to the current economy state, many companies cut back on such offering.  Companies such as Boeing were notoriously generously in this department.  They would pay for your school regardless of the price, and in return I believe you had to work 2 years after your graduation for them.  Nowadays, many firms have a cap of some sort, ie $10k a year or your continued study must relate to your line of work some how.  And of course this is only for graduate programs.  You need a BS/BA first to land the job with the aforementioned benefit.

The offering should be listed under benefits when you apply.  It's one of the few things a company can utilize to set itself apart from its competitors and retain the valued employee for the long run.

You must perform in a God like manner to obtain even a 5% yearly raise.  An educated person with enough experience will not stick around a firm for long at this rate.  He/she will work at that firm for a couple of years and make the jump to a new company, which will generally be a 20-30% pay increase...a lot more than the measly 5%/year at best.  This is exactly what I did.  After I had the experience at my first employer, I didn't get a good enough raise, and I left for a significantly higher pay elsewhere.  Tthe old company lost an employee as a direct cost and indirectly will have to spend money to train a new person to replace me in the mean time.  Offering of this is designed to combat the employees from leaving, especially if he/she is interested in going back to school.
PM in a minute, brudda... seems like you got the information that i need.
anyone else know about this deal? employers paying some of your school?

this would HEAVILY sway where i'm trying to get a job at once i finish this Finance program...

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I've heard of it, but I wouldn't do it because I know once I finish school I'm going to want to move to a higher paying employer.

Originally Posted by thenewjs23

Its possible. I paid off 15k in back child support in 6 months back in 09'. Two full time jobs and was going to school. I paid off the child support but by that time I was hurting. My home life was all sleep. I moved in a friend to save on rent and utilities. Rode my bike to work and school. Lost major weight in the process. I stopped after I was an hour late to one of my full times.
eek.gif
eek.gif

that's how you get it famb... HTown hustle at its finest...

Acres Homes w/ the most hood biddies in the H, too...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

H TOWN HUSTLER, the definition of it. I commend you on that.

rick:  I'll reply to your PM in due time.  I just need time to concoct a coherent response.  The next several days will be hectic for me so my brain will be dead.

RE:  Highest paying jobs.  You need to find something you are passionate about that is realistic, it's  tough balance.  The career I am in now pays very well, and I had no problem getting a job after school.  I can climb up the pay scale eventually, but truth be told I don't really love what I do.  This is partially why I'm pursuing an MBA.  In addition to looking at jobs in the U.S., I'm also looking at options overseas that will advance my career (as well as my wallet).

RE:  Getting into a top school.  I've had this discussion with many of well respected individuals I know, from professors to colleagues who went to schools like Stanford, Harvard, etc.  I came to the conclusion that the biggest difference is the environment and your classmates.  The classes use the same books, but the more higher ranked schools usually have more dedicated students.  But you don't need to attend those schools to be rich.  I have some classmates who I consider to be competition and also good friends with.  Those are the ones who have things getting ready to be patented.  And there are lazy classmates who drive exotic cars to school and have to be in class because their parents make them. 

Let us look at the new highest paid CEOs from Forbes:  http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-compensation-12_land.html

If you click the names, bios will pop up.  Look at the schools they went to, you may not even heard of some of them.

I initially came back to NT to make a survey thread, and I saw this thread.  I thought I should post my experience and 2 cents.  I hope it helps somewhat.  I don't want to bore you all with my rambling, but I've learned quite a bit in my hiatus from NT.

PS please excuse any typos, I didn't take the time to re-read.

H TOWN HUSTLER wrote:

Originally Posted by thenewjs23

Its possible. I paid off 15k in back child support in 6 months back in 09'. Two full time jobs and was going to school. I paid off the child support but by that time I was hurting. My home life was all sleep. I moved in a friend to save on rent and utilities. Rode my bike to work and school. Lost major weight in the process. I stopped after I was an hour late to one of my full times.
eek.gif
eek.gif

that's how you get it famb... HTown hustle at its finest...

Acres Homes w/ the most hood biddies in the H, too...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
H TOWN HUSTLER, the definition of it. I commend you on that.

GIFSoup

planning to go back.  Just don't know to major in something I like or something thats gonna make money.  Going to an open house next week so hopefully I should know afterwards.

I am 26 and starting my Masters of Accountancy program next week. It is either an in person 1 year intensive program (35k total cost for tuition) or do it via CyberCampus at your own pace. I am going to continue working and finish half of the program in Cyber Campus and the last 6 classes + internship on campus. Ideally, I'd have a 60k + bonuses job once I get out. We'll c..

I am applying for Law and Economics Doctorate programs at Stanford, USC and the various UC's. I have a masters in Econ completing a PhD would take two to four years and law would take three years.

I am excited about either prospect. If it is a PhD in Econ, I can start to write formal papers and conduct research. If it is law, I can start to take up pro bono cases for people in my community (the local law enforcement and DA office here are certainly predatory and often times corrupt so they are an easy target politically) and build a political base.

28, back in it. I find i'm no longer suited for an undergrad classroom. The characters you come across, one of which i used to be now annoy me. Why are you telling us this story that has nothing to do with the topic just because the prof. said a word that reminded you of it? here's a tip, as brilliant as the show is, if your comment includes "on south park", leave it guv. I think i'm gonna switch to a more adult based program, then do traditional graduate courses.

24 here and graduate this summer with my Bachelors in Business Administration. I don't know what I want to do yet and it's killing me. My advice to everyone is to find a career you want to do before everything and stick to it. Really sucks to be in my position right now with everyone asking me what I'm doing next. I have a well paying job right now (probably part of the problem) which is making me too comfortable with everything and hasn't pushed me to go look for a career yet. Have an internship possibility with the LA Galaxy so going to jump on that in the summer and see where it goes. Good luck to all of you.

To anybody in their early to mid twenties and going back and forth with school and semesters off, I would STRONGLY advise you to save up what you can, buckle down, and get it over with. I was like this all through college (mainly because I had no idea what to do for work after school and the program I was in and my advisor were HORRIBLE at helping students with career guidance) and I just effed it all up. I took about a year off at one point, and then a semester off at another point. Got mad behind and then when I was maybe 1 long, busy semester away from graduating, I just said !@#$ it and moved back to NY. What I do now does not require me to have a degree, especially since i have a ton of experience in the field now, but it doesn't hurt to have it, and my options are much more limited now.

I wouldn't go back to school at this point simply because my job (personal trainer) doesn't require that I have a diploma only certifications and re-certifications, and it wouldn't be worth the investment. I already have over 6 years in the field, I'm not gonna get paid anymore where I'm at because of a degree, and no matter what other gym I go to, I'd still be starting over building a clientele. It's like being a barber for like 10 years and then suddenly going to school for 4 years to get a degree in being a barber... just backwards.

If I do figure out what I want to do next in life career wise and it's something different, I'd consider going back. I still kick myself for not finishing, but I'm happy with what I'm doing now. It's just taxing and tiring. I can't do it when I'm old, I'ma need a sit-down type of job soon that isn't so intense.

25. Going back to school this Summer for the MBA. Took a year off after getting my BA. Time to get it going again
pimp.gif

finishing up my cert in Paralegal studies. Looking into either law school or an MBA. Heard the math to get into an MBA program is tough though. Feel the law school route is a dead end. I'm 26 btw

Only way I am going is if its free. I refuse to go into debt.

I got out of undergrad with $0.00 to pay anybody and I want grad school to be the same otherwise, it ain't happening.

I'm 26 btw.

Back
Top Bottom