Any advice on how to break an apartment lease? Need help

Cliffnotes:

-Moved out of state for work, but still forced to pay for my rent.
-Talked to landlord, he isn't giving in, so he gave me two options:
-get roommates to agree to get me out of lease (they would be splitting the balance 4 ways now) but they didn't agree to this, they dont want to pay an extra 100/month
-Find someone to takeover the lease for me.
-It's been a month, and I can't find anyone to buy lease, mostly due to the fact the other 4 roommates don't want a 5th guy, so they keep it messy on days someone looks at the apartment.
-I'm not really friends with them, i just needed a place for the school year. Unfortunately, I had to move with not much of a  warning so I am stuck getting rid of this lease now.

Anyone have any advice on the situation? I don't know if I can talk to the landlord about violations that are occurring in the apt (underage drinking,pot smoking) but I don't think i could use that to get out of the apt. Take note I have never stepped foot in the apt, I DONT EVEN HAVE MY KEYS for the apt, not even a guarantor form signed, only a security deposit that I gave months back when I originally signed up for the lease. I moved before I could even move into the apt.

How long do you have left on the lease? You have several options. Pay what you owe for the remainder of the current lease. If that's not possible (not just that you don't want to) talk to the roommates about taking you off the lease. If they don't agree, you always have the leverage of their illegal activities to hold over their heads if they're uncooperative in not allowing another roommate.

Is your name on the lease or did you just give a security deposit? I would think the landlord would let you out, but you would have to forfeit the security deposit unless he is just being a jerk.

There's still 10 months left on the lease, which is about 4k.

My name is on the lease. I asked if I could pay a large sum, about 1-2K to end the lease, and he denied
indifferent.gif

What does the actual lease say about breaking it?

With my lease I have to pay 2 months rent to break it but I'm not sure how it works with 5 people on the lease.

put it on craigslist for below market value.  if you're paying 400 a month, put an ad online for 350.  you'll have to cover the extra 50 bucks every month but it would save you money in the end

have the other roommates make a long list of things that need to be fixed around the place.

Spoiler [+]
arson can solve your problem easy

i know in my apartment i can pay a lump sum to break the lease. you could just not pay it if you wanna go that route
roll.gif

i was gonna say craigslist but i guess that's a no go....

5 fambs in an apartment, though??

sheesh...

Originally Posted by INS

burn the place down /thread

/Tread indeed. Maybe you leave the stove on or fall asleep with a lit cigarette.. Be creative or just send your goons to G check dude. If you don't have goons acquire some.

Back
Top Bottom