Any Architecture majors in here?

I'm on a pre-pharmacy track right now. It's only my first semester and I'm getting murked by all these pre-req science classes. My dad wants me todo something that is medicine related and high paying since he works in a restaurant and always tells me how he wants me to live nice and not have to work 12hours a day like he does (I'm Chinese BTW). Coming into college I didn't realize how tough all these classes actually are and I don't think I canhandle it, plus I really don't have a genuine passion for the profession. Architecture is something I am really considering switching my major to and I waswondering what the course work is normally like, for example if it's applying your skills or is it more memorization/studying. I'm also wondering whatthe process if like to become an architect and what the job market is like..from what I've read, you need an Bachelors, Masters, then you intern for a fewyears and take a licensure exam?

My cousin is an Architecture major at Syracuse. He tells me that it's a lot of work, spending time in the lab and stuff and dude rarely gets any time tosleep... I mean, I guess it's different for everyone and you get what you put into your work. I don't know how studious you are, but it's def not abreeze...

If you're an architecture major be prepared to sleep in the studio.

I used to be on the pharmacy track, and just like you I was in it for all the wrong reasons and quit I switched to Computer Science with a focus on ITSecurity, the classes are mad boring but I'm pretty happy with my choice. If you're not doing something you enjoy you'll hate it which is why Istopped.

Go for it! ... As long as you have the talent and the brains and the tenacity to keep with it. If I had the natural drawing capabilities I'd be all overthat, unfortunately I'm better with the PC and that won't get me far on the study side..

I'm about to go into Quantity Surveying
pimp.gif
contruction industry ftw!

I'm an architecture major at Temple University. I'm in my 4th year at Temple, but only my 2nd of architecture school. Why? I was an electricalengineering major for the first two years for the wrong reasons: money. I finally decided that I'd rather chalk it up and change to something that I'mpassionate about (architecture) and just go all out with it. Luckily, I started college at 16, so the "wasted" two years didn't really set meback too far.

As far as course load goes, it is the most intense and involving undergrad major IMO. Guess what? It's saturday night and while all my boys arepartying I'm at the studio right now. But my reward is that I love every moment of it. It's only the 3rd week of school and I've already pulled afew all-nighters. Word of advice though, time management is KEY and don't let it consume your life like it does to most people, make sure you do otherstuff and have fun, unless this major will bring you down. Ultimately, have fun, and be passionate about every single drawing, model, review, etc... If youwant more info or advice, just PM me. Good luck.

2 of my friends were and they aren't anymore... I'm sure you have to be extremely dedicated to it.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

they gets paidddddddddd

ehhh depend, Im a arch major student and I love it
pimp.gif

Money shouldn't be the only reason why you choose a profession. The course load is heavy like many other majors. Like everyone said once you get into upperdivision be prepared to sleep in the lab
laugh.gif

It a combination of both applying your skills and memorization/studying, but in a creative way. The memorization/studying part of it is basic knowledge thatyou have to know in order to make a stable structure. You would learn that over time so its not like theyll trow it all on you, and IMO I love the fact that Imdrawing for a grade.

If you dont have a genuine passion for pharmacy STOP NOW and dont waste time. Do what you like to do, what YOURE interested in. Check out the architecturedepartment website for a university near you and check out students work.

I'm an architect.

Graduated from Mississippi State in 2002. I'll try to dispel a few myths and tell you what to expect.

First, you definitely will live, eat, breathe and sleep architecture. It is the most time-consuming thing I've ever done in my life. You will be at theStudio every day working on projects. Get ready to pull all-nighters on a somewhat frequent basis.

It can be very rewarding, though. Who else can have their work last longer than they will? Also, most architects aren't in it for the money... the ideathat architects get paid a lot is a myth. You will start out making less than other people your age in stuff like finance, medicine, etc. The possibility isthere to make lots of money, but that's not the norm.

Finally, the process to become a licensed architect also takes quite a bit of work. Most Architecture programs are 5 year programs, after which you willgraduate with a Bachelors of Architecture degree. If you receive this, there really is no need to get a Masters unless you plan to teach. Other programs are a"4+2" system, meaning after 4 years you get a degree like Bachelor of Arts in Architecture, but then after two more years you get your Masters.Again, the 5 year programs are more common. Once you graduate with your degree, you will enroll in IDP (Intern Development Program). When I graduated, I had tocomplete 3 years of this program before I could even sit for my tests. Now, the rule has changed such that you can sit for your test just 6 months aftergraduation. You still have to complete IDP eventually, just not before you take the test. The test itself is 7 different parts taken at different times (was 9parts when I took it). Honestly, it can take over a year to pass the whole thing. And it costs about $1,000. Hopefully the firm you work for will pay for it.

As for the job market... I can't lie, it's tough right now. We've laid off a few people in my department. But things seem to be picking up.We've kind of changed the way we go after projects now.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

I just graduated with my Masters Of Architecture with an emphasis on Urban Design this May 2009. It was a five year and half year program. If you decide togo with architecture, be prepared to LIVE in the studio. I really mean live, especially when you're final project is due. You'll be spending like 16hours days in the studio.

But I loved every day of it, it's my passion. Right now I'm in NYC looking for work. If any NTer's have leads please let me know.

If you have anymore questions, just hit me up

pimp.gif

question to the ones that graduated, how hard is it to get accepted into upper division? what do the judges look for in a portfolio? and how much does GPAweight in getting accepted?
nerd.gif

gravedig, but i wanted to see if there's more input on majoring in Architecture...i've been considering it recently....how much math is involved and do you really have to be nice at drawing to do well?

In my arch program the ONLY math we had to take was Trigonometry.

You don't have to be nice at drawing, in some ways software has eliminated that from the equation.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

In my arch program the ONLY math we had to take was Trigonometry.

You don't have to be nice at drawing, in some ways software has eliminated that from the equation.
Different schools have different curriculum. My alma mater required students to take math up to Calculus II (seq/series etc, and a bunch of linear algebra) and as for drawing, you may or may not have to be able to freehand (was an engineering major, so I don't know the details). Even if you need to draw by hand, you will have tools to assist you.

Yea the most I have to do is calculus..

Btw, you can sort of cheat drawing plans by doing it in autocad and trace it, and to draw your perspectives you can take a picture of your model and trace the photo

Wow, didn't realize this thread was so old.
laugh.gif

I graduated in May from VT, still looking for a job. Like Tim City said it's a huge myth that architects get paid a lot. I know several people who are working unpaid internships right now (I'd never consider this and think it's unethical). Once you get licensed you can make a decent living depending on where you work, but the average salary really isn't that high compared to a lot of professions. That being said, having worked countless 100 hour weeks in studio for free I'll take what I can get at this point as long as I can survive; choosing architecture was never about money for me.

For anybody relevant that might be reading this, if you have any leads let me know. I live in the DC area but I'd be very open to working somewhere else. I had an interview with OMA's New York office back in March but I obviously didn't get the job
laugh.gif
I've only had two other interviews since then.

samcrobinson.com

Sorry for the semi-spam post but you never know who might see it.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

gravedig, but i wanted to see if there's more input on majoring in Architecture...i've been considering it recently....how much math is involved and do you really have to be nice at drawing to do well?

i made it through my bachelor's program without a single math course... i AP'ed out of calculus in high school.
you don't necessarily need to be good at drawing, but you do need to have a better-than-average grasp on visualizing things in 3 dimensions.

Thanks for the info guys

I've been taking calculus (i'm switching from civil engineering) and i wasn't too good at it, so I was looking into other majors and architecture was one of them.

Sounds like it's tough as hell to get a job in architecture.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Sounds like it's tough as hell to get a job in architecture.
This could not be any more true in the Bay Area. 

I'm an Architect, and everything said above is true... Well, the getting paid part takes a whole lot of time and effort, just like any profession.

This imma share: Architecture is the most rewarding profession out there. Real talk. The fact that you're licensed to create something out of nothing and change society is kinda dope! Word to Tinker Hatfield.

LOL and another thing:

6a00d834515beb69e2010536ac8d1a970c800wi.png

B'leee dat!!! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom