any dj's here? what equipment you using and what you spinning?

ca5perrr, 6demonbag - From your experience what input could you give me?

im working with cdj1000s, a cheap numark dxm mixer, serato, sony sound forge (recording) and im currently using logitech speakers as my monitors (apartmentspace doesnt allow for too much booom)

i practice and record, making mix cds.. i run into a few problems. When I play back mixes, the volume always seem to be lower than the original mp3.. imaximize levels when playing, and normalize in post production. I'm afraid I may be losing sound quality as well, can this be changed? does the mixer haveanything to do with it?

second, I think I need to invest in monitors but dont want to spend a grip.. just something i can get a good feel out of the music and definitely get the bassi would expect to hear from these songs.
what should i look for , or what should i get?

I'm hoping to get into clubs one day, that is if i get good enough to play live and i can create a niche in my city.
- what rates should i expect for a typical night? what are some basis of negotation?
I play mostly rap, not top 40 persay. So I know I wont reach heights of say, an electro dj.

^^whutp homie, ya ur mixer has alot to do with ur music, ive used soundforge here and there, my mixes are not super HQ but good enough,im guessing your runninga main to ur speakers and your booth back to your computer (thats how i do it, im not on logic or producing yet, need to though,)when you open the file tostart recording make sure its at the highest KBS you can, and when you convert the file to a mp3 make sure its on the highest quality you can, as far asmonitors you mean like to play out, or like studio monitors???i have one of these, and one of my boys has another one, i usually just use this if its a small(under 100) crowd,
EON1500_JBL.jpg

they got a diff look now, it ran me bout $800 but its worth it, u cannot go wrong with a jbl speaker, they have smaller ones,
i have a 15in i think it is,
pay wise all depends on your area i would see whutp with other djs and how much ppl are usually making in that area and see whutp,
DO NOT under cut a dj thats the #1 i can tell u, u gotta start from the bottom and work your way up, but dont undercut ppl,

Originally Posted by kangaroobombs

I'm not a Dj but where do you guys buy replacement styli/needles? I need a sansui sn-50.
http://www.lptunes.com/Re...N50-stylus-p/sui0050.htm

Originally Posted by ca5perrr

^^whutp homie, ya ur mixer has alot to do with ur music
could you explain a little better? are there specifications i need to look for in a new mixer? do more expensive mixers enable more freqs thancheaper ones like mine??

and as for the monitors, im looking for something to use at home when practicing or putting together mixes for recording

heres my setup:

macbook
2 technics 1200s
rane ttm-57
2 sure 447s
technics headphones
2 jbl eons 10"
numark ns7 *got a good deal on it so i couldn't pass on it, still prefer spinning on vinyls though*

I rock with 2 x 1200s
a lenovo y510 laptop
serato sl-1 (copped 2 weeks ago it is excellent)
Tascam XS4 Mixer
Sennheiser headphones
and I use 2 Sony Boomboxes for output since I'm primarily a bedroom dj/battle dj though as of last night things may change

Originally Posted by FrankDolla

yo..

im tryin to be a DJ..any advice on some equipment?

Co-sign
with a starters budget.
Same here fam! I can only mix from my laptop from a program i downloaded..just waitin to copp some tables. anyone using pioneer cdj 1000's?

Originally Posted by Sixfoot nathan

could you explain a little better? are there specifications i need to look for in a new mixer? do more expensive mixers enable more freqs than cheaper ones like mine??

and as for the monitors, im looking for something to use at home when practicing or putting together mixes for recording
cheap mixer = cheap sound,
you cant go wrong with a pioneer, vestax or rane mixer, i had a numark and it leaked and just sounded off,

as far as monitor, my boy got 2 of these and theyre pretty good,
Rokit5-1b37ddd4909bee54b4d950528b2fd279.jpg

Originally Posted by Sixfoot nathan

could you explain a little better? are there specifications i need to look for in a new mixer? do more expensive mixers enable more freqs than cheaper ones like mine??

cheap mixer = cheap sound,
you cant go wrong with a pioneer, vestax or rane mixer, i had a numark and it leaked and just sounded off,

as far as monitor, my boy got 2 of these and theyre pretty good,
Rokit5-1b37ddd4909bee54b4d950528b2fd279.jpg
ok i'll look into it, thanks
hopefully with these 2 upgrades i'll be getting the sound i need

Originally Posted by Frijolero

virtual dj 6

all a real dj needs

lol All a real DJ needs is turntables, a mixer, good jams, steady hand and a good ear.......

2x SL1200 MK5
1x Rane Mixer
Serato (only when I really need it)
10 crates of Vinyl!!!

For a beginner DJ get some cheap #*% Direct Drive TTs, Only get Belts if you don't plan on scratching much, a two channel mixer and just hook it up to yourstereo. Learn the basics first like beat matching and mixing, Levels ,work out how to use the Bass, Mids, Highs properly. Grab a handful of songs that have theapprox the same BPMs and just practice mixing those in different combos etc, get that sorted then try your hand at all the other extras. Seen too many catsjust want to scratch first, Just like trying to dunk before you can even layup.

^^yup thats the best way, work on a few songs, kinda get the hang of them, and go from there,

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

how much does it cost for just one damn turntable? A good one.

i think brand new technics are about $500
but if your starting up i would say check craigslist or your local pawn shop,
i just bought a pair of technics for $450, they're pretty old, but dude who owned them used them to bs at home,
so it was my win

Here's my question/dilemma. Whats the best way to convert your vinyl library to digital. I know there is USB turntable but having 20 plus crates of recordscan take a very long time. Is there a quicker way or like a company that does it for you as in I drop off the records and they transfer them for a fee (which iknow may be expensive). My homie and I have been getting down for over 10 years. I still love vinyl and so does he and thats why he havent went digital yet buthe's going to have to and I have told him that. So we are getting serato but getting the music from vinyl to digital is the part were having the dilemmawith. ANY SUGGESTIONS???????

ive just heard of using the usb turntables, i gave away alot of my vinyl away and just dl what i really was still gonna play,
you can still play your reg vinyls and serato at the same time,
Rane%20-%20Serato%20Scratch%20Live%20interface.jpg

thats what the "thru" is for, so you plug the rca from the box back in your mixer
(still with your computer on, if you turn your computer off you need to get the power plug for the box,not a big deal)
but thats the only way ive done it, dunno if anyone else knows how to rip ur vinyl
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom