Any Golfers on NT?

Had a great first round of the year with my dad for Father's Day. 3 birdies that could have been 5 with better putting (2 missed 6 footers). Watching sports on tv always gets me pumped to play.

I pride myself in knowing a decent amount about golf equipment, but damn if I don't know **** about shafts.

Yea you can get caught up reading through all kinds of different crap about shafts... It really is an important part of equipment if you're a decent player... There's shafts that help a guy like me control my ball flight better.

Low launching driver shafts, mid launching driver shafts... Shafts that feel smooth vs shafts that feel "boardy" (kobetwo can tell you about all that im sure)

Shaft weighting is the thing i focus on in my hybrids/woods... For some reason i'm much better off playing a 80 gram shaft than I am with a 60-65 gram shaft in my 3 wood... Same as in my Hybrids.

Copping Irons with Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts has really helped me this year getting the ball up in the air.

How does a young man such as myself who knows nothing about golf get educated?

I shot a 42 on the back 9 when i played on Sunday... 7 shots better than i did on the front.

Had a MELT DOWN on a par 3 though... FAT on the tee shot and landed in a front bunker with about 25 yds between bunker and green... caught ALL blade on the bunker shot, flew it way over the green, blade again on the way back... got a 6.
sick.gif
So annoying... I know I got what it takes to shoot mid 80's but I cant put 18 together.

I need to be more in that 4 range instead of 6 on my Par 3s. Water hazards on those holes usually cost me the difference between breaking 100 and not.

Played yesterday and shot 83. Terrible day for me. Had a bad front nine +10 and better back with +1. Missed 2 birdies and 1 eagle putt. Highlight of my day was on a par 5. Hit a solid drive in the fairway and about 225-230 out with the wind in my face and lightly swirling. Was gonna hit a 5 wood ended up hitting a 3 wood. Stuck it on the green about 15-20 feet away, but missed the eagle putt :smh: . Gotta get out on the course a few more times within the next week, then I'm heading on vacation to Maui and gonna play a few days out there.

Last edited:
Just copped a Callaway RAZR Hawk 10.5 deg. Loft (Draw) driver from DSG for $150 pretty excited to take her out! Couldnt pass up a $400 driver for $150! Have any of you used this club or other Callaway drivers? Thoughts?
Update: took it to the range tonight and was hitting it 215-250 and fairly straight the whole time. For me that's great, I just started golfing again after 3 years (I wasn't very good then either) with my old driver I was about 150-225 with a consistent slice.
The other day I shot a 52 on a 9 hole par 32, so I still have a VERY long way to go. I'm enjoying being back at it though!:smokin

I need to be more in that 4 range instead of 6 on my Par 3s. Water hazards on those holes usually cost me the difference between breaking 100 and not.

Honestly more players would easily break 100 if they had better course management. Learn to keep clubs in the bag that you aren't fully confident in, and work on your short game.

Last year I went out a few times with only irons in my bag, no woods and it was pretty good practice.

Agreed. Course management is important on every skill level. Very underrated. Fairways and center of the greens will score better than bombed drives and attacking pins not to mention being smart about knowing where trouble is then how you deal with it (punch it to the fairway vs created more trouble and the possibility of big numbers).

That being said if I'm not playing for anything I'll hit my 330+ drives with a few scattered badly and take birdies and doubles that come with aggressive play. For example drove just over a green on a par 4 on a smoked drive Sunday that got some wows but if I was playing for money it would have been an iron wedge for a possible birdie but likely par.

There is a reason pros play practice rounds, plan club selection off the tee, mark yardages and map green slopes. If I'm playing a course for the first time I still have the habit of recording the club I used off the tee and what I should have along with brief notes. Last note, if you're playing a course that sells a yardage book buy it. That $10 will make for a much more pleasant round and a better score.

Honestly more players would easily break 100 if they had better course management. Learn to keep clubs in the bag that you aren't fully confident in, and work on your short game.

Last year I went out a few times with only irons in my bag, no woods and it was pretty good practice.

This is good in theory, but honestly if I can't learn to hit the proper clubs then I don't really want to play golf. I don't want to be forced to hit 5 irons off the tee because I'm uncomfortable with driver, etc.

It really is true... I've been playing 3w off the tee on some holes that dont fit my driver shot shape... one hole that I usually take 3w or 3h off the tee on Saturday I used a 5i and played a nice easy draw into the middle of the fairway... ended up on in 2 with no problem.

Much better to be center fairway short 30-40 yds than long and in the deep ****.

This is good in theory, but honestly if I can't learn to hit the proper clubs then I don't really want to play golf. I don't want to be forced to hit 5 irons off the tee because I'm uncomfortable with driver, etc.

i'm sorry but there is so much wrong with this statement it's pretty ridiculous. no offense but if you can't break 100 consistently you aren't hitting any club properly. either that or you're playing off the wrong set of tees.

think about it, if you hit your 6 iron 170 yards. you can basically cover any par 4 in 3 shots. 2 putt and you walk away with a bogey on every damn hole. unless you have a forced carry you should learn to hit GOOD shots with a short club.

case in point, i was playing yesterday with a good friend of mine and the dude couldn't hit a club to save his life. he shanked about 5 drives straight (3 on 1 hole because it had a forced carry). then he thought it would be a good idea to hit a 4 iron off the tee box and off the turf on the next whole which was a par 5. proceeded to shank those as well. i've told the guy numerous times that he's an idiot and when he struggles THAT hard that he should just grab the 8 or 9 iron and hit a few good shots because in golf you need to ACTUALLY VISUALLY SEE a good shot to gain that confidence. sure enough after he did it, he was hitting decent shots again.

seriously, some guys have zero sense of course management. if you're not feeling your game and you have to hit a 4 iron because you're 210 yards away to the green, grab a 56* wedge and hit 2 110 yard shots. not only is there a greater chance you're going to be in less trouble. but you've gained confidence in hitting 2 solid shots AND ITS CONSIDERABLY LESS STRESSFUL

people should also realize that golf isn't necessarily about hitting the right shot as many times as possible.

golf usually is about NOT HITTING THE WRONG SHOT AS FEW TIMES AS POSSIBLE.

the term "the big miss" is not just about hank haney and tiger woods...

Back
Top Bottom