Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by solesavage

I always recommend to start off with a USED set and go to work.(Check Craigslist, Rockbottomgolf, Thrift Store.....) It will take years to develop your game. While you're out playing soak up as much information from experienced golfers.

Decent brand of clubs - Pings, Callaway, Nike, Taylor Made.....basically any well known brand will be a decent starter set. Once you feel you're developing your game and feel comfortable down the line, then thats when you go all out and get fitted for a solid pair of clubs.

I've been playing for 4 years now, and I still dont feel comfortable enough to get fitted for a set. I really dont get out as much as I would want tho.
Originally Posted by eaalto

Starting with a used set of clubs is definitely a good call.  I started golf when I was 12 with a 5 iron, 7 iron and a putter.  Overtime I added random makes of clubs, to where I had a full set, but that was stolen when I was around 14.  After that my parents got me a complete set of Wilson clubs - cheap $250 set.  I played with these for a while, and they actually served me pretty well.  I routinely shot bogey golf with those clubs.  After a while I started getting the itch to buy something "brand name," as I was always embarrassed of my #%@!!% equipment.  I started buying random clubs in used bins at pro shops/golf stores, until I had a complete set of clubs from all different makers..Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, Titleist, Mizuno, Cleveland.  The flaw with that is that different makes have different spec for standard length, loft, lie for all of their clubs, so I was doing myself a disservice by playing a random set of clubs.  I finally found a cheap set of used irons and went that route, and after that I started posting more consistent and lower scores, eventually shooting scratch golf for the first time in my life on my little executive par 30 course. 

You should be fine with any major brand name of clubs.  How tall are you?  Hopefully you fall into the standard/average height/arm length so that you don't really need to have clubs custom fit and can just play out of the box, but this might have some impact on how you play.  It doesn't haven't be complicated if you don't want it to be.

Just be warned - buying golf clubs can become an addiction.  It's hard to not want to try new irons, new wedges, new putters, new drivers, new woods, etc.  I have made countless trips to golf stores buying clubs, exchanging clubs, testing clubs, etc.  It is a long road to find clubs that are absolutely perfect that you never want to let go.  Just remember, newer isn't always better!
just wanted to thank you guys for your input/advice.  i haven't had time to go check out places that have used clubs yet, haven't had decent days off from work to do so.

i'm not sure if it matters, but i'm only 5' tall.  hopefully that even without custom fit clubs, what's out there will work.

gameovertripleh wrote:just wanted to thank you guys for your input/advice.  i haven't had time to go check out places that have used clubs yet, haven't had decent days off from work to do so i'm not sure if it matters, but i'm only 5' tall.  hopefully that even without custom fit clubs, what's out there will work.
Although this isn't an all inclusive measurement for how to get fitted for clubs, what is the distance from your wrist to the ground?

I am 5'10", wrist to floor is 35" - so I fall into standard playing length.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Shot an 86 with 40 putts.
sick.gif

Good course, but I couldn't make a putt to save my life. Good mix of long and short par 4s, every par 5 was a chance at birdie and the par 3s are challenging. Not too shabby.
I'm usually happy with an 86 there...my best round so far was an 82 (41 out, 41 in), where I could have had a couple putts drop to put me in the 70s.  
There are usually a few holes where I flirt with OB, and I usually lose about 4-6 strokes because of OB penalties each round.  That 82 I posted was played with 1 ball, which I was very happy with.  I was losing so many balls with the shanks that I started playing Top Flight D2 Feels until I get my game back.  I can lose an entire box and it will be the same as losing 4 Pro V1s.  

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

I think i found one of your pentas on hole 6.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Haha, it's possible...my friend has found my balls (nh) out there weeks after I have played.  I usually mark them with 4 Es surrounding the logo...I found a penta I lost there probably 2 weeks ago just barely in someone's yard on hole 4...

You'd be surprised at how many balls you can find if you barely set foot in the woods...

On that same hole, #6, I crossed Glen Laurel Rd. to find my ball, and I came back with 3 Pro V1s, a Tour i(z), and a couple junk balls.

I saw a guy come up on 8 ProV1s on the front nine one day, just stopping about 200 yards up the fairway and stepping into the woods.  Pretty crazy.

You ever gonna play there again?  I'd be down to meet up, I only ever play with old guys except when my friends are willing to drive down from Raleigh.  I played with some random guy there once (golfnow.com) tee time, and I played one of the worst rounds of my life (112).  Didn't ask if he was on NT but at the time I kept thinking it might be someone that lurks on this thread
laugh.gif

^ You're right too.. And I think if you go the right distance from the tee you'll find premium balls from long hitters.

Last week I ducked into the woods probably 300 yds from the tee box on this down hill par 4 and came out of there with half dozen ProV's and some random other Callaway's and Bridgestones and Srixons

Playing with my cousin tomorrow who shoots under par... The course I play and usually shoot 95-100 he scored a 67 on last week 
embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif

The game just comes naturally to him and hes been asst pro at a few places in FL so hopefully I can soak up some good techniques. First time playing with him and im actually nervous cause I don't wanna look like a goofus. (word to sandlot)
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Any tips for playing with someone whos farrrrrrr above your skill level?

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Playing with my cousin tomorrow who shoots under par... The course I play and usually shoot 95-100 he scored a 67 on last week 
embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif

The game just comes naturally to him and hes been asst pro at a few places in FL so hopefully I can soak up some good techniques. First time playing with him and im actually nervous cause I don't wanna look like a goofus. (word to sandlot)
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

My guess would be that he has very good course management, so try to observe that.  That is a common problem with me....I sometimes get too ballsy and take risky shots and end up in more trouble than playing it safe.
Other than that, just try to have a good time, and just watch how he approaches the game - pre shot routine, preparation, tempo, etc.  Sometimes you are inspired to greatness when you play with someone that much better than you.

^ You're right too.. And I think if you go the right distance from the tee you'll find premium balls from long hitters.

Last week I ducked into the woods probably 300 yds from the tee box on this down hill par 4 and came out of there with half dozen ProV's and some random other Callaway's and Bridgestones and Srixons

We were on the first tee on Saturday waiting for some dudes who were shooting from the blacks, and really they had no business shooting from the blacks. I kind of shook my head and commented on how I think it's funny that most of the balls you find out of bounds end up being ProV's. Sure enough, I hit my ball left in the rough maybe 3 yards from the OB weeds, and while looking for it I came up on two ProV's and a Bridgestone BB330 lol.

Originally Posted by DinanBMW

We were on the first tee on Saturday waiting for some dudes who were shooting from the blacks, and really they had no business shooting from the blacks. I kind of shook my head and commented on how I think it's funny that most of the balls you find out of bounds end up being ProV's. Sure enough, I hit my ball left in the rough maybe 3 yards from the OB weeds, and while looking for it I came up on two ProV's and a Bridgestone BB330 lol.

I saw some sign in the hallway to the restroom at my course about something called tee it forward:

[table][tr][td]Driver Distance[/td][td]Recommended
18 Hole Yardages[/td][/tr][tr][td]275[/td][td]6,700[/td][td]-[/td][td]6,900[/td][/tr][tr][td]250[/td][td]6,200[/td][td]-[/td][td]6,400[/td][/tr][tr][td]225[/td][td]5,800[/td][td]-[/td][td]6,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]200[/td][td]5,200[/td][td]-[/td][td]5,400[/td][/tr][tr][td]175[/td][td]4,400[/td][td]-[/td][td]4,600[/td][/tr][tr][td]150[/td][td]3,500[/td][td]-[/td][td]3,700[/td][/tr][tr][td]125[/td][td]2,800[/td][td]-[/td][td]3,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]100[/td][td]2,100[/td][td]-[/td][td]2,300[/td][/tr][/table]
I can play the blacks at my course no problem, but I rarely do because hardly anybody else does...actually makes most holes easier because it makes your drives a little more forgiving.

Originally Posted by DinanBMW

I saw some sign in the hallway to the restroom at my course about something called tee it forward:

[table][tr][td]Driver Distance[/td][td]Recommended
18 Hole Yardages[/td][/tr][tr][td]275[/td][td]6,700[/td][td]-[/td][td]6,900[/td][/tr][tr][td]250[/td][td]6,200[/td][td]-[/td][td]6,400[/td][/tr][tr][td]225[/td][td]5,800[/td][td]-[/td][td]6,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]200[/td][td]5,200[/td][td]-[/td][td]5,400[/td][/tr][tr][td]175[/td][td]4,400[/td][td]-[/td][td]4,600[/td][/tr][tr][td]150[/td][td]3,500[/td][td]-[/td][td]3,700[/td][/tr][tr][td]125[/td][td]2,800[/td][td]-[/td][td]3,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]100[/td][td]2,100[/td][td]-[/td][td]2,300[/td][/tr][/table]
I can play the blacks at my course no problem, but I rarely do because hardly anybody else does...actually makes most holes easier because it makes your drives a little more forgiving.

Yea I remember reading about this both in Golf Digest and in a few emails the courses around me sent out.  Basically they are trying to say the general public plays tees way to far back compared to professionals, that if a pro is hitting a wedge-8 iron into a par 4 a normal person should play off a shorter tee so they can hit the same club into the green.  I think it is good advice for a beginner but at the same time for a player that plays quite a bit a bunch of bs.

embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

My guess would be that he has very good course management, so try to observe that.  That is a common problem with me....I sometimes get too ballsy and take risky shots and end up in more trouble than playing it safe.
Other than that, just try to have a good time, and just watch how he approaches the game - pre shot routine, preparation, tempo, etc.  Sometimes you are inspired to greatness when you play with someone that much better than you.
Played today... Shot a 94 at a course ive never played before. Par 70.  My cousin shot 72... Woulda been 71 but he refused to count one of the par 5's as a par 5 because they were doing construction and had the tees moved up almost 100 yds. He took a hybrid off the back tees then went SW in on it
laugh.gif
got a 4 on the hole but called it a 5.

Anyways, he gave a lot of pointers, biggest ones being with my putting stroke, making shorter back stroke and accel through the ball. Then in the sand... The sand was hard and wet so he showed me how to open the face and let the bounce of my 60* do the work getting the ball up and out of the bunker.

He makes it look so damn easy
30t6p3b.gif
He rarely 2 putted from inside 15 feet and didnt 3 put at all.  And he convinced me that I need to hit up Golf Galaxy and get fitted for a new shaft in my driver... The fugazzi Matrix Ozik X-Con in my driver isn't strong enough to keep my shots consistent.

embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Played today... Shot a 94 at a course ive never played before. Par 70.  My cousin shot 72... Woulda been 71 but he refused to count one of the par 5's as a par 5 because they were doing construction and had the tees moved up almost 100 yds. He took a hybrid off the back tees then went SW in on it
laugh.gif
got a 4 on the hole but called it a 5.

Anyways, he gave a lot of pointers, biggest ones being with my putting stroke, making shorter back stroke and accel through the ball. Then in the sand... The sand was hard and wet so he showed me how to open the face and let the bounce of my 60* do the work getting the ball up and out of the bunker.

He makes it look so damn easy
30t6p3b.gif
He rarely 2 putted from inside 15 feet and didnt 3 put at all.  And he convinced me that I need to hit up Golf Galaxy and get fitted for a new shaft in my driver... The fugazzi Matrix Ozik X-Con in my driver isn't strong enough to keep my shots consistent.

Just get something low torque and tip stiff...might lower your trajectory and overall carry, but it should tighten up dispersion.

Can a good quality shaft be had and installed for under $100?

And how do they usually fit you to a new shaft? Just by looking at your numbers on the LM with different clubs/shafts?

I just started to play this summer with my roommate. we are terrible but its still fun. plus the free golf passes from work make it easier to go out and suck and still have fun.

Ives played 9 about 3 times and a full 18 once. My putting is gross and I have a mean right hook on drives. But I would average a 7-8 on a hole. Shot a 56 on my last 9 I played. 36 was par.

Yea... I would look at some videos on youtube about proper grip and position.

Are you lefty? Cause if the balls going right and you're a righty then that would be a slice not a hook. In which case you're probably like me up to a month ago and have a weak grip.

Changing my grip and setting up with the ball more forward in my stance took care of my slice.

Slice, hook. Whatever. But ya I'm right so it does slice. I'm still messing around on grips and forms that will work for me. I def need to move the ball up in my stance too. Game def takes time to get right.

This video helped me out the most... Grip position and grip pressure being changed have taken probably 5 strokes off my scores since May.

I havent been able to inbed vids on NT for like a year so heres a link
30t6p3b.gif

And how do they usually fit you to a new shaft? Just by looking at your numbers on the LM with different clubs/shafts?

Kobe is the best person to ask about this...I am simply speaking from my experience with different torques and kick points...I say go for a mid-high kick point and a torque lower than 3 degrees, with whatever weight suits your fancy...my fav shaft is 73g with a high kick point and 2.8 torque...low launch low spin and really tight dispersion...I have hit shots 2 feet apart on consecutive swings...You can probably find a pull for pretty cheap on the bay, or just buy something with similar specs like a v2 x stiff 77 gram, which I think is fairly cheap

Proforce V2 is a good stiff shaft for cheap, even a few tour players are using them.  Think @+$+! had them on sale for about $30 so might want to check it out there.  Have hit it in a 905r and liked it.  Also keep and eye out for used clubs at stores like golfsmith, sometimes can find a cheap club with a really nice shaft, also wrx marketplace.

Back
Top Bottom