Any of you ever suffer a Knee Injury??

Okay so here is my whole story. Back in senior year of high school during basketball tryouts I did a jump stop in the lane and the helping defender collided knee to knee with me on the lateral side of my right knee. I felt a rolling, grinding pop as I felt my knee buckle a little and I was floored almost immediately. After screaming in pain for 5-10 min I limped off the court to the trainers office downstairs to get a bunch of ice. I spend the next week on crutches and the following week I went to the trainers to strengthen as much as possible for about a month, then I got bored and stopped going, like the stupid kid I was. A couple short months later it was senior night for volleyball tons of people were there and as I jumped laterally to set a ball that was tight to the net I used my right leg to post/cut back so I wouldn't cross the half court line. My knee gave out and I fell, I once again limped off the court and my high school athletic career was over. Years passed and I continued to play when I felt relatively healthy, occasionally I would tweak my knee and still chalk it up to a sprain. I bought numerous hinged braces to keep my knee from buckling and with some success I had avoided injury for a few years. Then this past July I was doing a workout and in the middle of a jump I felt a pull and a pop in my knee. After a month of limping around thinking it would get better I was finally convinced to get it checked out. I finally had insurance and it was better sooner rather than later.

Torn ACL
Torn medial and lateral meniscus
Effusion in the joint
and a few other things I forgot

I had surgery 1 month ago and got in PT 7 days post op. I was limp/walking at 3 weeks and had almost full assisted range of motion. My extension isn't fully there but it is more then I have had in years. Occasionally I have pain around where the holes were drilled into the bone but it has been getting less and less with each week. I was told my doctors I should be able to start playing sports in 6 months post op. I am ready to finally be healthy after years of limitations. I hadn't been able to jump off of it since before my injury. In PT I am now squatting in and out of chairs and working on stairs to strengthen my quads. Hamstring curls and a lot of hip work with the resistance bands. I look like straight Suzanne Summers doing all thighmaster stuff but I feel stronger every week and I now am almost walking completely normal.

CLIFFS:
Tore ACL and meniscus probably 9 years ago in high school
Didnt have insurance until now, got surgery last month
Still have a long way to go but feels like i am responding well and will keep this thread updated

View media item 1256672
I finally had surgery yesterday and the anesthesia is still working because my leg is really numb. I can do foot pumps but I can't to a straight leg lift at all. I think I may have had a meniscus repair but I'm not too sure. I'm supposed to stay off of it for 6 weeks and I'm not supposed to bend my knee to much. I've been hurt since July so at this point I don't mind the time that it'll take to fully heal.

Yeah I couldn't do much with it the first couple days but I can't believe they are going to have you off of it for 6 weeks. I was told thats how long it takes for the ligament to heal but dang my doc wanted me to start moving it right away.

Has anyone used a CPM machine? Its been prescribed. I'm also trying to get my hands on a cryotherapy circulating ice pack but might have to buy one off of amazon.

CPM machines are dated. Never seen one used for ACL reconstructions, only for knee replacements. The circulating cold pack will be a good idea, I would recommend that. Keep it elevated and do those ankle pumps.

Forgive me for not reading through the whole thread, but anybody got any knee excercises/PT work that helps with runners knee and general knee pain?

PM your e-mail and I can send some things to do. Tight and weak quads/hamstrings usually contribute to runners knees, along with weak hips and core.

How do you guys work out your lower body. I do the calf machines, and then I squat but I can't do it that often. It kills my knees( more so my left knee) .????

Describe the pain and exactly where you feel it ie behind the knee cap, above, below, ect.

Last edited:
Gloves.
smokin.gif
First thing I saw... then the brace.

I have been very fortunate tthat I haven't had major injuries. The closest was banging my knee straight back and "locking". Couldn't walk right for two weeks but I no ligament damage or bone chips. The one think I did a lot was diping my knee in hot water with salt. Relaxing to say the least. I have seen some dope knee wraps with a silicone ring around the kneecap to help alleviate the pain... Good luck

Has anyone used a CPM machine? Its been prescribed. I'm also trying to get my hands on a cryotherapy circulating ice pack but might have to buy one off of amazon.
I did after my surgery for I think a month each day for about an hour or two, It was a pain to do that but it helped me in the end

^^Inflamed and my knees start cracking and making noises. Feels like lose pieces are inside of my knee. Hurts to walk after. Feels like my knees going to buckle more so my left knee.

^^Inflamed and my knees start cracking and making noises. Feels like lose pieces are inside of my knee. Hurts to walk after. Feels like my knees going to buckle more so my left knee.

Go get it checked out but it could be tendonitis or arthritis. If you arent active enough that usually happens but definitely get it checked it out

Super active. Run a min 5 miles a day. Plus play pickup twice a week.
yeah. I figure I got to check that out by now just hate going to dr......

About 9 days after surgery I was able to do two sets of 10 leg lifts (assisted at first) and some other home physical therapy. I'm happy.

I received conflicting information from my surgeon (who is an awful communicator) and the hospital about keeping my knee immobile for 6 weeks. Luckily I had the CPM machine that I used anyway but keeping my knee completely straight that first week was terrible. The swelling after surgery didn't look too bad at all and I had full extension with decent flexion for some reason protocol said to keep my knee completely straight. When I got a chance to see the ortho again today he said he the wrong knee brace (it wasn't supposed to be ROM) and I should not have kept it straight. He also doesn't think he did a meniscus repair but suggests I keep off my knee for 6 weeks anyway. 

At this point I'm just looking forward to physical therapy and learning more about knee and core strengthening. The home therapist that visits me right now is really nice and informative.

Could be different things. Could be patellar tendonitis, IT Band syndrome, or even the cartilage behind the patella is wearing away. Does it hurt when you get up after sitting for long periods of time or going up/down stairs?

Found out last week i have a torn ACL from a basketball incident in March. Still waiting on a surgery date but it should be next month

Back
Top Bottom