Any students at The University of Texas or NTers that live in Austin?

I will be moving to Austin, TX this fall to start my masters in accounting at the University of Texas. Now my next step is find a place, but that's obviously the hardest part. Are there any NTers that attend UT and are willing to impart some advice on great place to live that are close to campus, and general advice about living in Austin or attending UT?

west campus if you can afford it. don't live in riverside unless you want to have your car broken into. anything off red river is good too.

For older students, North Campus >>>>>
West Campus will not be for you, unless you love foolishness.

posting first so people start saying "inb4 young handsome"  

I heard UT is a major party school
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

riverside is a no go...west campus the closest to the business school...but its also where majority of the partying goes down....its expensive but easy access to the gym/lib/campus/food places...lived in west campus my entire time at UT

I dont know where to live but Austin is alot of fun. You should enjoy it.

So is Riverside a bad/ghetto area and a definite no-go?

Also, is West Campus an area on-campus? Sorry for the seemingly obvious question lol.

The only part I pretty much visited was the side where the Pike house is. I was down there two summers ago for a Pike convention so I checked it out. If I'm not mistaken, it was pretty close to McCombs, the University Co-op, and there's a bar named Cane and Abel's (I think) which had great food and Texas Tea.

Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou23

So is Riverside a bad/ghetto area and a definite no-go?

Also, is West Campus an area on-campus? Sorry for the seemingly obvious question lol.

The only part I pretty much visited was the side where the Pike house is. I was down there two summers ago for a Pike convention so I checked it out. If I'm not mistaken, it was pretty close to McCombs, the University Co-op, and there's a bad name Cane and Abel's (I think) which had great food and Texas Tea.
Riverside isn't that bad but like someone mentioned it's a bit sketchy.

West campus is an area in the proximity of UT it's not exactly on campus.

North or west campus is probably where you want to stay, but it can get pretty expensive depending on what you want in amenities.

Hope you enjoy UT!

Good job for getting in, recently read that UTA is rising through the ranks in a lot of disciplines. 

I graduated from UT Law.  Austin is a great city.  You get the best of both worlds from UT. You get the academic credibility from the school and the extraordinary social life from Austin.  Congrats on making an excellent choice.  Austin is a fairly affordable town so you should definitely live as close to downtown as you can.  Live downtown and get a bike and the gas money you save from not needing a car and not having to take cab rides home on the weekends will be worth it.  You can also look into staying south on Oltorf or South First.  It's a quirky neighborhood and only like 5 minutes from downtown so the location is good. First thing you need to do is check out Franklin's, Southlick, Rudy's and Torchy's.  The first three are the best barbeque you will have in your life and Torchy's sells awesome tacos. Also, make sure to get football tickets and go to Dallas for OU weekend, check out first Thursdays and Congress Street, go to ACL and SXSW.  UT is a lot of fun and has it's own culture.  Go to as many concerts as you can.  Immerse yourself in the UT experience and you'll understand why the rest of us are such proud alums.  Hook em and welcome to the team. 

Originally Posted by Savraj1

Good job for getting in, recently read that UTA is rising through the ranks in a lot of disciplines. 
It's been the #1 accounting undergrad and grad program in the country for quite a few years, apart from being an amazing school overall.

Originally Posted by TraPpStar

I graduated from UT Law.  Austin is a great city.  You get the best of both worlds from UT. You get the academic credibility from the school and the extraordinary social life from Austin.  Congrats on making an excellent choice.  Austin is a fairly affordable town so you should definitely live as close to downtown as you can.  Live downtown and get a bike and the gas money you save from not needing a car and not having to take cab rides home on the weekends will be worth it.  You can also look into staying south on Oltorf or South First.  It's a quirky neighborhood and only like 5 minutes from downtown so the location is good. First thing you need to do is check out Franklin's, Southlick, Rudy's and Torchy's.  The first three are the best barbeque you will have in your life and Torchy's sells awesome tacos. Also, make sure to get football tickets and go to Dallas for OU weekend, check out first Thursdays and Congress Street, go to ACL and SXSW.  UT is a lot of fun and has it's own culture.  Go to as many concerts as you can.  Immerse yourself in the UT experience and you'll understand why the rest of us are such proud alums.  Hook em and welcome to the team. 
Thanks for the advice. I definitely plan on enjoying not only my time at school, but the city as well. I'm going to try to make it to as many football games as possible. My dad lives in Dallas so I'll be set with a place to stay that weekend.

i think UT mba program is top 20 in the country too.

I'm hype cuz i might try to make that move, and being from texas, instate tuition =
pimp.gif

congrats on gettin in too, famb...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

There are plenty of rich people that rent out their spare bedrooms...just saying. It would allow for networking...not that you wont do that @ McCombs.

Riverside isnt that bad....just find the right apt complex.

Back
Top Bottom