Any walk-ons on NT? VOL I'm just not good enough

i'm seriously thinking about walking on to my schools football team. when i walk around campus people always ask me if i play football.. %!+% it, i mightas well play so i can start saying yes
laugh.gif

right now i'm like 6'1 190.. figure my best chance at getting burn would be at DB, hopefuly SS. what are some good targets for bench press, 40, etc?

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

I remember I thought of trying to walk on my freshman year.. well was aiming for soph year. I was gonna spend my fresh year bulking up...

That didn't happen
roll.gif
True story.
laugh.gif

Damn that reconstructive knee surgery
smh.gif

Wait to see if you get any scholarship offers or D2 interest... if you don't, start sending e-mails to D3 schools asking about roster spots.

You can definitely jump on a d-2 or d-3 squad if you have some skills... if your out of shape than
smh.gif

For benching 225.. depending on your size.. you need at least 5 reps.

I walked on for UMD baseball so anything is possible.. gotta put in the work though. If you go to a d-I school, go out there with the swag and show them theyforgot to recruit you. When i was trying out I was mad at all them bum coaches because they didnt respond to my calls or videos in highschool
laugh.gif
... I thenhit 3 homers in BP and ran a 6.8 60 yard dash and was surprised at myself.

Lasted the 3 week workout program and made the team.. and today am getting free under armour clothes and travelin the ACC.

Go try out. trust me it'll either get you somewhere or still give you motivation to get better.

Good luck fam you gotta put the time and effort in.

Conditioning needs to be on point though.

How hard is it to be a WR? Serious question?

I figure, have nice speed (T. J. Houshmandzadeh), work hard, catch the ball (I know, easier said than done) and create separation (especially on 3rd down).

If you're gonna be a walk on WR (unless you're a preferred walk-on), and actually expect to travel/not be on solely scout you better be fast as #%+@.

Yea... if your trying to jump on the squad as WR... you better be running 4.5 , and your vert has to be crazy. Especially if your not over 6 ft.

Originally Posted by JordanPP30

Yea... if your trying to jump on the squad as WR... you better be running 4.5 , and your vert has to be crazy. Especially if your not over 6 ft.

The funny part is, there are a lot of people on here who are thinking "4.5, I'm fast. I can probably do that."

Originally Posted by BeallsFinest

The funny part is, there are a lot of people on here who are thinking "4.5, I'm fast. I can probably do that."
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I know I cant run a 4.5..but my vert is good money

Originally Posted by I DONT PASS

Originally Posted by BeallsFinest

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I know I cant run a 4.5..but my vert is good money
Hmmm. Not doubting what you guys are saying but what if you can flat out get open? I mean I look at Jerry Rice, He most def wasn't the fastestbut He was just good and a master at his craft. Housh for example. Dude has normal speed compared to the faster players in the league. I think there may belinebackers faster but dude just gets open.

What I'm saying is, I know you NEED some type of speed to play WR and be effective but lets say I had Housh's speed and I could get open and catch theball on key plays? That's gotta give me a shot right?

Hines Ward is another guy I can think of. Dude has NEVER been a speed guy to me, He just flat out gets separation and make plays. I mean I know its not easy atall and these guys are pro's but I think it gives hope that those two have made it to where they are, right?
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

i would never walk on.. colleg sports take up too much of your time and life to not have it pay for school.. u cant work.. u wont play much if at all.. andyoull be the coaches whipping boy.. im jus sayin from what i seen on how our walk ons got treated. play intermurals ...

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Hmmm. Not doubting what you guys are saying but what if you can flat out get open? I mean I look at Jerry Rice, He most def wasn't the fastest but He was just good and a master at his craft.
Jerry Rice most certainly was fast. How may times have you seen him get walked down? Jerry Rice just didn't test well in the 40 yd dash. Whichis not the best measurement for Football speed because how often are you going to run in a straight line, full speed, unimpeded? Not very often. And Jerry wasalso quick as hell.
Housh for example. Dude has normal speed compared to the faster players in the league. I think there may be linebackers faster but dude just gets open.
Housh is also strong as !#$# and has good enough routes/quickness to get open.
What I'm saying is, I know you NEED some type of speed to play WR and be effective but lets say I had Housh's speed and I could get open and catch the ball on key plays? That's gotta give me a shot right?

What makes you think you're going to get open? Going against D1 or hell, even DII CB's is no easy task. Would you be able to get off thejam? Can't get open if you don't get off the line. How strong are you? How quick are you?
Hines Ward is another guy I can think of. Dude has NEVER been a speed guy to me, He just flat out gets separation and make plays. I mean I know its not easy at all and these guys are pro's but I think it gives hope that those two have made it to where they are, right?
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

Unless your just some kind of great athlete, you're not just going to hop in and start getting open vs CB's. Hines and Housh, while notvery fast, are GREAT athletes and have the necessary strength, quickness, toughness to overcome their lack of top end speed.

Originally Posted by djphame1

i would never walk on.. colleg sports take up too much of your time and life to not have it pay for school.. u cant work.. u wont play much if at all.. and youll be the coaches whipping boy.. im jus sayin from what i seen on how our walk ons got treated. play intermurals ...
Yea but Im not talking bout the big BCS schools.Im talking bout D-II D-III so I can easily get burn

Originally Posted by dreClark
Jerry Rice most certainly was fast. How may times have you seen him get walked down? Jerry Rice just didn't test well in the 40 yd dash. Which is not the best measurement for Football speed because how often are you going to run in a straight line, full speed, unimpeded? Not very often. And Jerry was also quick as hell.
Right. That's what I was saying. In regards to being clocked and measured, He wasn't considered very fast but dude was the best. He dideverything at a high level all the time.
Housh is also strong as !#$# and has good enough routes/quickness to get open.
Unless your just some kind of great athlete, you're not just going to hop in and start getting open vs CB's. Hines and Housh, while not very fast, are GREAT athletes and have the necessary strength, quickness, toughness to overcome their lack of top end speed.
Great points Dre. I don't really know what I am athletically speaking. I'm just a guy that wants to give it a shot. I got 2-3 years towork on speed and strength. I never said I was on their level or anywhere near them. I was using them as example to explain speed isn't everything. Thereare other things that you can be good at that make you a great football player. Like you said, those two are average speed wise but they have thequickness/strength/route running to get the job done.

What makes you think you're going to get open? Going against D1 or hell, even DII CB's is no easy task. Would you be able to get off the jam? Can't get open if you don't get off the line. How strong are you? How quick are you?
I don't know to be honest and I wont really know until I can get my body into a desired shape. So yeah, I'm not some great athlete if youask me. I don't know if I can or can't be effective. But I believe I can try at least. Whats the worst that can happen? Hurt feelings over not makingit? I mean yeah I know these dudes are tough and good to play at the D1,2,3 levels but I just have to try.

Do you play ball?

^^ the thing is.. you may be able to get open and all that.

BUT... if your WALKING ON.. the tryout, well for DI has nothing to do with football.

So you have to show them your strong, fast, and can jump.

My man tried out for UMD football during fall tryouts.. he couldnt bench 225 but he ran a 4.3 and brought his HS highlight tape, the coach wanted to put him infor kick returns the next game.
laugh.gif

DO TRYOUT though.. like i said earlier, everyone who desires to play collegiate sports and wasnt recruited, IMO its your competitive nature to go out there.

^^ the thing is.. you may be able to get open and all that.

BUT... if your WALKING ON.. the tryout, well for DI has nothing to do with football.

So you have to show them your strong, fast, and can jump.

My man tried out for UMD football during fall tryouts.. he couldnt bench 225 but he ran a 4.3 and brought his HS highlight tape, the coach wanted to put him in for kick returns the next game.
laugh.gif

DO TRYOUT though.. like i said earlier, everyone who desires to play collegiate sports and wasnt recruited, IMO its your competitive nature to go out there.

Wow
laugh.gif
Does He still play?

And yes, it is in my nature I guess. I know the odds are stacked against me but hey, look what this seed grows into...

BEFORE:
MustardSeed.jpg

AFTER:

2635187196_0964ab5d83.jpg

Its possible.

I was thinking bout walking on D2 but I'm so small. I'm only 5,9 and 170 I can bench 225 like 2 times but I run a 4.53 should I just stick to pick upgames on Sundays?

I have high school film. I played varsity for 3 years here in Florida division 4A and played in the state championship got some tackles but D1 and D2 coachessaid I was too small.

Originally Posted by PleaseSayTheBaby23

I was thinking bout walking on D2 but I'm so small. I'm only 5,9 and 170 I can bench 225 like 2 times but I run a 4.53 should I just stick to pick up games on Sundays?

I have high school film. I played varsity for 3 years here in Florida division 4A and played in the state championship got some tackles but D1 and D2 coaches said I was too small.
I say work on your speed/quickness/elusiveness. You could be good if you want to be.

Originally Posted by PleaseSayTheBaby23

I was thinking bout walking on D2 but I'm so small. I'm only 5,9 and 170 I can bench 225 like 2 times but I run a 4.53 should I just stick to pick up games on Sundays?

I have high school film. I played varsity for 3 years here in Florida division 4A and played in the state championship got some tackles but D1 and D2 coaches said I was too small.
you could go to milford academy

It's possible. You just have to dedicate yourself. Hopefully you already have some sort of skill. I walked on at FAMU. It was a lot of politics involvedbut i was able to over come a lot. Just get ready for MAT drills at 4 am sir.

Back
Top Bottom