Anybody here work in the film industry?

NT, I'm a senior in HS and I'm not exactly sure what I wanna do in my life. I've always excelled in my English classes, I enjoy writing and I love watching films. The film industry has always enticed me and I'm really thinking about being a director or screenwriter. Does anybody here have any stories, experiences, or words of advice for someone like me? 

well i've worked previously on movie,music video sets as a PA all thru a link tho..everything is freelance so you work when they are shooting and start as a PA and build your way up..haven't done it for a while but would love to jump back in especially since im in mia..try craigslist google for gigs..i wouldn't recommend majoring in film tho unless your certain thats what u want to do

Originally Posted by ItzJono

well i've worked previously on movie,music video sets as a PA all thru a link tho..everything is freelance so you work when they are shooting and start as a PA and build your way up..haven't done it for a while but would love to jump back in especially since im in mia..try craigslist google for gigs..i wouldn't recommend majoring in film tho unless your certain thats what u want to do
Very important statement.  I have a degree in film.  
You better be 100% sure that's what you want to do, cause if you're not, NO ONE else takes you seriously when applying for a job and they see you have a degree in film. 

I was an Honors English major at UW [go DAWGS], and I've always loved to watch movies for their cinematic and literary value. And all I gotta say is...you gotta be good. Now I'm totally judging and assuming, because I don't know you, but the fact that you don't know what you want to do in life is already indicative of the fact that you're not going to make it in the industry. You gotta really want it man, like, almost be born wanting that *$@%. Am I right?

Like I said, I love literature and cinema, but that doesn't mean I have any skill in creating it. I can analyze that *$@% in my head and maybe transcribe my elaborate thoughts into decent prose, but I am nowhere near the genius of some of the authors and screen writers I've experienced.

But please, prove me wrong. I give props where props is due.  Good luck, man.

Radio, TV, Film major here and agree with what everyone else said. Make sure thats what you really want to do and then be prepared to work hard for it.

I'm taking the time out of creating a mock film financing negotiation draft for a communication class to give some insight.

An important perspective to look at is the money. All business and intellectual creations must be financed if you don't have the money.

In order to get the money you have to have expert skills and interpersonal skills.

By expert skills I refer to the not only intellect ( ability and make connections to create) fueled by actual skill ( close to 10,000 hours of redundant practice of the essential skills to make things flow when its game time)

Communication skills include

how to negotiate to neutralize the exploitation of the snakes

Being able to dance with wolves ( know how to out snake a snake like a snake charmer )

I gotta go finish my project but the key is be GREAT at what you do and know how to navigate the business end.

Another thing is look at indie film route, if you follow the concepts I mentioned.

Originally Posted by ninob1213

I'm taking the time out of creating a mock film financing negotiation draft for a communication class to give some insight.

An important perspective to look at is the money. All business and intellectual creations must be financed if you don't have the money.

In order to get the money you have to have expert skills and interpersonal skills.

By expert skills I refer to the not only intellect ( ability and make connections to create) fueled by actual skill ( close to 10,000 hours of redundant practice of the essential skills to make things flow when its game time)

Communication skills include

how to negotiate to neutralize the exploitation of the snakes

Being able to dance with wolves ( know how to out snake a snake like a snake charmer )

I gotta go finish my project but the key is be GREAT at what you do and know how to navigate the business end.

Another thing is look at indie film route, if you follow the concepts I mentioned.
This. Too many "film makers" who aren't business minded. Disastrous imo.
Don't get a film degree EVEN IF you really want to do film. Get something that relates to it like media law, creative writing or something business even. Hell, get a mechanical engineering and electronic engineering degree. They are pretty useful in the film world. Half the equipment we use, we design ourselves.

Other than that.. marketing yourself, networking, and your portfolio are the means to success or to an end.

Back
Top Bottom