Anybody seriously needs help dealing with Alcohol?

Originally Posted by INshoeKid

I'm a legitimate 3rd generation alcoholic(not proud). Every male on my dads side of the family has had a drinking problem. I know I have a drinking problem, but at this point in life I still function. My girl says I'm a functioning alcoholic, I still get up and go to work in the morning and don't skimp out on my responsibilities. I go to the gym a few times a week, and ride my bicycle about 100 miles a week. But I do drink every day, mostly beer but some tequila and vodka a few times a week. I don't get hangovers so it doesn't usually impact my next day.

If I could do it all over again I would have never started drinking, but I started at 14, and now 14 years later it's just a part of "my normal life". I graduated college, have a great job, a wonderful family, my own home, and a few rental properties. So it hasn't impacted my career or finances, but it has impacted my personal life. I don't do the bar thing anymore, I usually just sit at home and drink sometimes with a couple friends but usually by myself. Most of my friends don't drink with me because when they want to stop drinking I want to keep going, I usually don't stop until I'm pretty messed up. My close friends try and stick it out with me if I'm really drinking hard just to make sure I'm okay and get home alright. If I go out it is to the restaurants that are near my house so I can walk there and back. I got 2 DUI's in college, so drinking and driving is something I don't even put myself in a position to do. That's the main reason why I stay home and drink, so I don't risk hurting someone else or myself. I Usually drink 12-15 beers a day, and a 5th of some other liquor over the course of the week.

Guess I just dumped a bunch of my personal information, but if I can help someone else to stop before they progress to the level of alcoholism that I am at then it was worth it. If I miss a day of drinking I have noticeable mood swings and shakes. Not proud of any of this at all, but it's the truth.

You may be a functioning alcoholic now but it'll catch up with you down the track. Believe that.

My dad is an alcoholic. I don't have much to do with him, but when my parents were still together and he worked out of town, he'd call my mum and talk to her, drunk as hell. And then maybe an hour later he would call again because he actually thought he hadn't called her that night.

I know for a fact he still does it to people. The few times that my brother and I go to his place for dinner, he'll have had a few drinks before we get there and then he'll have two or three while we're there and it gets to a point where a switch is flipped and all of a sudden he's drunk.

There are countless things he's done over the years to break up our family. Things that can't be forgiven.

And because of that I have no respect for my dad.

Find a way to tone down your drinking. If not for you, do it for the people that love you. They don't deserve to be put through all the comings and goings of having an alcoholic to deal with.

I'm a legitimate 3rd generation alcoholic(not proud). Every male on my dads side of the family has had a drinking problem. I know I have a drinking problem, but at this point in life I still function. My girl says I'm a functioning alcoholic, I still get up and go to work in the morning and don't skimp out on my responsibilities. I go to the gym a few times a week, and ride my bicycle about 100 miles a week. But I do drink every day, mostly beer but some tequila and vodka a few times a week. I don't get hangovers so it doesn't usually impact my next day.

If I could do it all over again I would have never started drinking, but I started at 14, and now 14 years later it's just a part of "my normal life". I graduated college, have a great job, a wonderful family, my own home, and a few rental properties. So it hasn't impacted my career or finances, but it has impacted my personal life. I don't do the bar thing anymore, I usually just sit at home and drink sometimes with a couple friends but usually by myself. Most of my friends don't drink with me because when they want to stop drinking I want to keep going, I usually don't stop until I'm pretty messed up. My close friends try and stick it out with me if I'm really drinking hard just to make sure I'm okay and get home alright. If I go out it is to the restaurants that are near my house so I can walk there and back. I got 2 DUI's in college, so drinking and driving is something I don't even put myself in a position to do. That's the main reason why I stay home and drink, so I don't risk hurting someone else or myself. I Usually drink 12-15 beers a day, and a 5th of some other liquor over the course of the week.

Guess I just dumped a bunch of my personal information, but if I can help someone else to stop before they progress to the level of alcoholism that I am at then it was worth it. If I miss a day of drinking I have noticeable mood swings and shakes. Not proud of any of this at all, but it's the truth.
  Are you fat?

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

Originally Posted by Cant Break The Unbreakable

Those saying to "just stop", it's not that easy. 

yes it is
Maybe for you, yes. But you're not him.  Everyone's different so who are you to say something should be so easy for someone else?  I don't have a drinking problem but I'm not saying it should be so easy or hard for someone else.  

Alcohol is a poison...save me the moderation part because who really drinks in moderation.

All alcohol does for me is make me depressed. Quit drinking months ago and I'm never going back.

Half the men in my family are alcoholics, and after seeing the destruction its caused I vowed to myself to never drink to the point where I can't function without it.

Alcohol is disgusting anyway
smile.gif

Those saying to "just stop", it's not that easy. 

yes it is
Maybe for you, yes. But you're not him.  Everyone's different so who are you to say something should be so easy for someone else?  I don't have a drinking problem but I'm not saying it should be so easy or hard for someone else.  

It really is, IMO there is no such thing as addiction, just weak minded/willed people that can not control themselves. If you know something is detremental to you and your family you stop, plain and simple. You make a decision to drink, you can make one to stop.

Yea just like me. i got 3 dui's man within 4 years. I got in a bad accident because I was drinking but never got charged for dui.

Drinking isnt good . Its good every now and then but when you have to ask if you got a problem then you do.

Soberrecovery forum is a good place to start. I kind of weaned off alcohol. I drink light now every now and then and I dont drive!

Just a few months ago i got drunk and i  was going to leave my friends house late at night. I knew I was drunk and if i would had gotten caught I would had did a year in jail. I crashed on the coach and my friend took my keys. Glad! I thought about that the next day and was slapped myself and said never again..

Alcohol aint no joke. and most people here who talking about drinking getting hammered partying will be making post like the OP did 5 years from now.

OP if you want to talk about this PM me , im going through the same thing

Originally Posted by OU Imran

yes it is

It really is, IMO there is no such thing as addiction, just weak minded/willed people that can not control themselves. If you know something is detremental to you and your family you stop, plain and simple. You make a decision to drink, you can make one to stop.

That actually helps proves my point.  Not everybody is gonna be as strong minded and disciplined as you.  So yes, there are weak minded people in the world who can't control themselves unfortunately.  

If it's starting to mess up your social life, not to mention get you in trouble with the law. Maybe you should seek some professional help to help you get over this.

That actually helps proves my point.  Not everybody is gonna be as strong minded and disciplined as you.  So yes, there are weak minded people in the world who can't control themselves unfortunately.  

hmm

I wouldnt say I am an alcoholic but I do like a couple drinks with my dinner. i dont have time to actually get full blown wasted so most of the time i just start to feel it and quit drinkng

yes it is

Considering you can die from multiple drug withdrawls, I think you saying there is no such thing as addiction is just plain ignorant
eyes.gif

To the OP you really do sound like to have a problem.  I know its gotta be hard but the only way to keep yourself from getting worse, is to at least try and cut back, if not completely stopping.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Im not an alcoholic

Spoiler [+]
alcoholics need a drink... i got one
laugh.gif
this
but ya I like to drink, just not everyday........too expensive.

if yu dont get the will to change you can end up drunk driving and killing someone or yourself
spend the rest of your life in jail

don't mean to thread derail, but how come I can down clear liquor like water for days but dark like Henny is few shots than I'm gone. Beer is a no no for these reasons.

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

You may be a functioning alcoholic now but it'll catch up with you down the track. Believe that.

My dad is an alcoholic. I don't have much to do with him, but when my parents were still together and he worked out of town, he'd call my mum and talk to her, drunk as hell. And then maybe an hour later he would call again because he actually thought he hadn't called her that night.

I know for a fact he still does it to people. The few times that my brother and I go to his place for dinner, he'll have had a few drinks before we get there and then he'll have two or three while we're there and it gets to a point where a switch is flipped and all of a sudden he's drunk.

There are countless things he's done over the years to break up our family. Things that can't be forgiven.

And because of that I have no respect for my dad.

Find a way to tone down your drinking. If not for you, do it for the people that love you. They don't deserve to be put through all the comings and goings of having an alcoholic to deal with.
How is your dad an alcoholic and a lightweight though?

After I started drinking heavily, I could down a twelve-pack over a few hours and I'd be drunk, six is enough to get me tipsy. Im not tryna sound like the big man on campus, I just dont get how you can drink like an alcoholic and get drunk like a regular person?

It's good that you're aware of it, hopefully you're willing to work to make a change and it doesn't take something absolutely awful or life-altering for it to happen.

I drink 2 to 3 beers a day. Its actually healthy for men. But every time i quit drinking i go about a month and then binge drink hard for about a week.

There is always the violent/annoying/do stupid stuff drunks and nobody likes em. Don't be that guy OP.

my cousins has a bad addiction too..

i knew he had one when one day, he was passed out by 3 pm.. drinking and shotgunning beers.......... by himself, smh!

Back
Top Bottom