Anybody seriously needs help dealing with Alcohol?

I only drink on the weekends, I don't know how people can drink by themselves tho.. just drink slower or less OP

Originally Posted by tecca nena

I drink 2 to 3 beers a day. Its actually healthy for men. But every time i quit drinking i go about a month and then binge drink hard for about a week.

nah B, sorry to inform you but I learned (in med school) that at that rate of drinking, you're really setting yourself up for liver failure, alcohol related hepatitis, or cirrhosis

Originally Posted by Orfiyus

Originally Posted by INshoeKid

I'm a legitimate 3rd generation alcoholic(not proud). Every male on my dads side of the family has had a drinking problem. I know I have a drinking problem, but at this point in life I still function. My girl says I'm a functioning alcoholic, I still get up and go to work in the morning and don't skimp out on my responsibilities. I go to the gym a few times a week, and ride my bicycle about 100 miles a week. But I do drink every day, mostly beer but some tequila and vodka a few times a week. I don't get hangovers so it doesn't usually impact my next day.

If I could do it all over again I would have never started drinking, but I started at 14, and now 14 years later it's just a part of "my normal life". I graduated college, have a great job, a wonderful family, my own home, and a few rental properties. So it hasn't impacted my career or finances, but it has impacted my personal life. I don't do the bar thing anymore, I usually just sit at home and drink sometimes with a couple friends but usually by myself. Most of my friends don't drink with me because when they want to stop drinking I want to keep going, I usually don't stop until I'm pretty messed up. My close friends try and stick it out with me if I'm really drinking hard just to make sure I'm okay and get home alright. If I go out it is to the restaurants that are near my house so I can walk there and back. I got 2 DUI's in college, so drinking and driving is something I don't even put myself in a position to do. That's the main reason why I stay home and drink, so I don't risk hurting someone else or myself. I Usually drink 12-15 beers a day, and a 5th of some other liquor over the course of the week.

Guess I just dumped a bunch of my personal information, but if I can help someone else to stop before they progress to the level of alcoholism that I am at then it was worth it. If I miss a day of drinking I have noticeable mood swings and shakes. Not proud of any of this at all, but it's the truth.
  Are you fat?

To answer your question no, I'm actually in very good shape. I'm 5'7 146lbs according to the scale at the gym this afternoon.  I ran the Chicago marathon last year and have ran 2 mini marathons this year.  I may be an exception, but my drinking doesn't impact my activity...at least right now.  At some point i'm sure it will catch up to me, but I'm actually training to start doing triathlons right now. Swimming an hour a day, 100 miles on my bike a week, and run around 3-4 miles a day.  I started drinking in middle school and ran competitively all through high school and in college.  I was never a top tier runner, but I always finished high enough to help my team.  There were runs in college where I was running 10 miles in right at an hour.  And drinking probably 15 beers every day at the time. 

I'm not try to boast about my drinking, just speaking from the perspective of someone that is an alcoholic, just today I've had 15 and i'm still going right now.  And I have a slight buzz, nothing much at all.  Its like brushing my teeth, just seems normal.

Like i said if what I posted can help someone else not get the point i'm at then the post is worth it.  I just honestly can't quit. I'd love too, but I go through hard core withdraws after just 2 days of not drinking.  There are mornings I wake up and the first thing i think of is cracking open a beer.  But i get dressed go to work, finish work, come home and start drinking. And then I do it all over again the next day.

'

OP and INShoeKid, seek help.

Look for free programs in your area that can help you deal with it. Google it. Do something because there might come a day when you end up doing something that can't be undone.

Not to go into rant mode but alcohol consumption in our culture is glorified and celebrated and maybe 90% of the time it's just that. However there are that 10% who are suffering and that is nothing to make fun of. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Ghenges

Look for free programs in your area that can help you deal with it. Google it. Do something because there might come a day when you end up doing something that can't be undone.

Not to go into rant mode but alcohol consumption in our culture is glorified and celebrated and maybe 90% of the time it's just that. However there are that 10% who are suffering and that is nothing to make fun of. Good luck.

Seeking help does no good if you're not ready to quit.  Trust me I've been to AA meetings...quite a few to be honest.  Some court ordered and many on my own, but at the end of the night it doesn't help the addiction.  You have to actually want to stop, and I guess I'm not to that point yet. 

I'm just hoping someone has a liver for me, when mine finally shuts down.  And as far as family with the problem go, I've been around it my entire life.  I remember being 16 and my dad having me driving him around to job sites to check on the workers while he was trashed and when he got out to check on them i'd slam some of the beer in the cooler.  It's just what i know.
I have a MBA, graduated at the top of my class in college and got a great job.  And the entire time I was getting drunk every single night at the bars.  Now I own 3 rental properties, my house, a vacation condo in Florida, and make well into the 6 figures.  So to those with the problem, you can still be successful, but it takes a little more effort. 

Drinking is definitely a problem, I've had way to many family members die over this, The most recent an uncle on December 10, 2010.
30t6p3b.gif
tired.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Keep your head up OP.

Originally Posted by Hess Side 978

switch to weed, I have found that it makes me want to stay out of trouble when I'm high. It makes me want to just post up on the couch, watch a game or a movie, grub out and then go to bed.

yessir
pimp.gif

Seeking help does no good if you're not ready to quit.  Trust me I've been to AA meetings...quite a few to be honest.  Some court ordered and many on my own, but at the end of the night it doesn't help the addiction.  You have to actually want to stop, and I guess I'm not to that point yet. 

I'm just hoping someone has a liver for me, when mine finally shuts down.  And as far as family with the problem go, I've been around it my entire life.  I remember being 16 and my dad having me driving him around to job sites to check on the workers while he was trashed and when he got out to check on them i'd slam some of the beer in the cooler.  It's just what i know.
I have a MBA, graduated at the top of my class in college and got a great job.  And the entire time I was getting drunk every single night at the bars.  Now I own 3 rental properties, my house, a vacation condo in Florida, and make well into the 6 figures.  So to those with the problem, you can still be successful, but it takes a little more effort. 
Your an inspiration dude.. i need to get like you... i would like to think of myself as a functioning alcoholic... i don't get hammered anymore like i used to, but i drink regularly... i tone it down for a few days then drink again...

Originally Posted by Crook

Originally Posted by tecca nena

I drink 2 to 3 beers a day. Its actually healthy for men. But every time i quit drinking i go about a month and then binge drink hard for about a week.

nah B, sorry to inform you but I learned (in med school) that at that rate of drinking, you're really setting yourself up for liver failure, alcohol related hepatitis, or cirrhosis
Pull down ya skirt b

Originally Posted by prymone

switch to weed, I have found that it makes me want to stay out of trouble when I'm high. It makes me want to just post up on the couch, watch a game or a movie, grub out and then go to bed.

yessir
pimp.gif

weed like everything else has its down falls. I need to switch to papers cause man my chest is tight after I burn one.
My potency is a1 though so it all depends on that too.

Originally Posted by nightruans

Your an inspiration dude.. i need to get like you... i would like to think of myself as a functioning alcoholic... i don't get hammered anymore like i used to, but i drink regularly... i tone it down for a few days then drink again...
First, I'm still drinking so this may not be the most fluid post.

I don't want to glorify alcoholism at all.  And I'm not an inspiration, I sometimes wonder what I would have done if I didn't have this problem.  But I'm just saying it possible to still lead a "normal and successful" life even if you have an addiction like this.  I personally know many very wealthy people and they all have their own shortfalls.  Some alcohol, others weed, some coke, and a few others that love strippers and hookers.  We all have our own "soft spots" that's why I choose not to judge. In the end we all get judged by whatever we think is the higher power.  And we all have to life for ourselves.  My family knows about my problem, and even if they don't agree with it they support me.

I don't know how many of you grew up in a more privileged up bringing.  But of all the people I grew up with, my drinking is better than their drug abuse and living off their trust funds. I chose to create my own success, and even being an alcoholic I have done pretty well.  Could I have done more....probably.  But thats neither here or there. Just like people that come up from poverty and end up CEO's, it's all what you make of it.  It's just those of us who are alcoholics may have more medical issues in our elder years.  Just know for every alcoholic that admits they have a problem, there are probably 5 that don't think they have a problem.  And those are some of the people that think having a buzz and driving is okay.  I may make some bad decisions with my drinking, but for the last 5 years I refuse to drive if I've been drinking.  If I'm going to hurt someone it's going to be me. 

real life...

my mom has 7 brothers, two of them arent alcoholics, their dad (my grandpa)a straight drunk...

grandpa= never met him died before i was born... he would beat my uncles and mom and step grandma (started to drink after my moms mom died, then married my step grandma)
                he died because whe he was drunk passed out on the street some dudes tried to rob him, and he stabbed one guy and the other shot him...
1st uncle- died earlier this year. drank him self to death, literally. He already had a bad liver living is some little shack.... he drank so much one day till he died.
He got divored at like 40, give some of my older cousins and my aunt a bad time, beating them yelling always getting hammered, went to jail a few times, even got deported...
If it werent for my mom and dad and my other uncle he would have been super homeless, at one point he lived in a little truck in front of my house...
2nd uncle- didnt really know him, but he died from a liver failure because of drinking to much two years ago...
3rd uncle- died last year, cirosis of the liver... he got divorced, became a bum alcoholic, deported a couple of times, jail a few times, literally lived under a bridge after he got his rv
one time when he got aressted. eventually one time he got deported back to mexico and he went to were my moms fam grew up and lived in my moms familys old broken
down house and died there...
4th uncle- still alive, over the last year he became a straight alchy or so ive heard... hes always drank but now its pretty bad i guess, dont know to much about it...

all these dudes were good drank alot but eventually around 30-40 years old, they wanted to get ripped everyday and theyd lose their jobs and family and stuff...
all had houses and familys and jobs...

my mom or dad dont drink at all... they dont want me to/really know i drink every once ina while...(im 21)
my mom was pissed because i told her i drank on my 21st bday
laugh.gif

she even yells at my brother for having a few beers, hes 35

i feel like alcoholism, is hereditary so i dont drink to much becasue im scared of ending up like them...
could that be true?

True life.

I'm a full blooded native american. I know there is a stereotype that we are alcoholics. The sad thing is that most of the people I know are alcoholics. My mom is one. So was my grandma (she is sober now), my uncle is and almost everyone in my family. I hate to live up to the stereotype but I enjoy drinking a beer every other day. The problem with me is that once I have one it's like a switch gets flipped and I need more. I am not sure why but I feel the need to get drunk. Having a girlfriend has definitely slowed my drinking down substantially but I need tips on how to drink more "socially"., where I can have one or two drinks but not feel the need to go all out.

Anyone?

Yea if I have more than 4 beers then I get an urge to get drunk, so I prefer to drink 1 or 2 or none at all.

Anyone else notice that when they stopped smoking tree that their drinking increased?

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

How is your dad an alcoholic and a lightweight though?

After I started drinking heavily, I could down a twelve-pack over a few hours and I'd be drunk, six is enough to get me tipsy. Im not tryna sound like the big man on campus, I just dont get how you can drink like an alcoholic and get drunk like a regular person?
Trust that I've seen him put that and more away in less than two hours. You're forgetting that you're young and my dad is fifty, he has decades worth of drinking and damaging his body.

He's in no way a lightweight, he lives by himself so I can't know for sure how much or what he has drunk beforehand. I saw him tonight, coincidentally, and he put away a bottle of wine by himself no sweat. I wouldn't be surprised if his liver is weak as #%%@.

When my parents split up and he moved out, they found bottles and bottles of wine, beer and spirits hidden all over the house, backyard and garage. Tell me that's not a move pulled by alcoholics.

Originally Posted by kangaroobombs

True life.

I'm a full blooded native american. I know there is a stereotype that we are alcoholics. The sad thing is that most of the people I know are alcoholics. My mom is one. So was my grandma (she is sober now), my uncle is and almost everyone in my family. I hate to live up to the stereotype but I enjoy drinking a beer every other day. The problem with me is that once I have one it's like a switch gets flipped and I need more. I am not sure why but I feel the need to get drunk. Having a girlfriend has definitely slowed my drinking down substantially but I need tips on how to drink more "socially"., where I can have one or two drinks but not feel the need to go all out.

Anyone?
every dude in my mom's and dad's side has drinking problems.  dad, 1 grandpa and 1 great grandpa have all been to rehab.  my great grandpa was actually a founder of a local AA chapter here.  i drink a decent amount.  but i know it's in my blood and i could fall off easy, especially since i work in a bar and it's normal to drink daily.  what i do i take 3-5 days off a week where i don't even touch alcohol.  it just lets me know i'm drinking socially and not because i need too.

i've really matured too as far as driving drunk.  i've been pulled over and breathalyzed alot. always well below the legal limit but real talk.  that !%##'s scary.  that just let me know the times i have maybe not been ok to drive i could have easily got popped or something worse.  i just treat alcohol as a way to relax now a days or party occasionally but i know what it can do from seeing it first hand and i gotta be careful myself because i know what's in my blood.

i do need to lay off the adderall though.  my homie has a prescription and i have been taking it just to wake up like it's some coffee smh.

Originally Posted by TupacsBack

Originally Posted by prymone

yessir
pimp.gif

weed like everything else has its down falls. I need to switch to papers cause man my chest is tight after I burn one.
My potency is a1 though so it all depends on that too.
What youre saying is that tobacco has its down falls
grin.gif

ive had way too many blackouts, trying to eliminate those out my life...hard struggle

Back
Top Bottom