Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

Besides Jordan's or Rookies, is it pretty much a waste of time grading basic cards?
It all depends on the specific card, but overall grading base cards probably not a good idea.

How much does it cost per card (I will send 200 or so)?
Sending in 200 cards would probably run you about $2k. Prices depend on level of service, turnaround time, estimated value of cards, etc.

Is it better to sell a card ungraded than have it graded at a 7 or less?
PSA 9 or BGS 9 usually sell for around the same price as raw ungraded cards except for higher end big cards

Is there a way to get an idea of what grade a card will receive before sending it in?
Grading companies are so inconstant nowadays so not really.

Is there a free price guide online besides completed Ebay auctions?
Ebay is still going to be the best, but a lot of price manipulation when it comes to sports card sales on eBay.

Centering is whats most appealing to the eye when you look at a card, so that is major when you inspect a card to send for grading. Then there is the surface and edges and corners. They are all important.

this.

centering is def the one thing that pops out to me immediately but like he said, its all important.

Corners, centering, and the surface.

What makes cards with errors crazy valuable vs. crap? Like being off-center will devalue a card, but another weird print error will up the value?

scarcity
buzz

but mostly scarcity.

off centering is a defect.

so say if there was one sheet out of thousands that had off-center cards, it would be more valuable?

or like, one sheet had a very noticeable/visible error that gives it rarity/buzz?

Curious since both involve visible errors (I assume in limited numbers) but one drives the price up and the other drives the price down

idk to me, off centering is just a negative detail.

Errors, for some, are enticing because there arent many. Im not big on error cards personally.

Also, I'm not sure how prominent they are now. Back in the day I'd guess they were a bit bigger. Before all of the limited inserts, etc, errors were something that was limited to a small number.

The infamous **** face Billy Ripkin card is sort of an error, since they did an updated blacked out version. A cool card that commands only a slightly more premium.

Since I started buying again I haven't really seen any modern card errors that are coveted but they might be out there.

idk to me, off centering is just a negative detail.

Errors, for some, are enticing because there arent many. Im not big on error cards personally.

Also, I'm not sure how prominent they are now. Back in the day I'd guess they were a bit bigger. Before all of the limited inserts, etc, they were something that wasn't part of the regular set.

Since I started buying again I haven't really seen any modern card errors that are coveted but they might be out there.

I see, so like some errors are just off-putting/ugly while others drive up the hype/buzz. Makes sense. I remember back in the day there would be cards with like wrong coloring or lines across it and it would make the card go up in value.

I think you're referring to man made errors vs printing imperfections.

Now that you mention it I'm googling the highest value error cards and they usually have some kind of wrong photo, blank names, or expletives lol. Gotcha.

Latest pickup. Got all 4 for around $75 each.

172B8114-CF24-47D7-8A01-400FB0905BE1.jpeg

Latest pickup. Got all 4 for around $75 each.

172B8114-CF24-47D7-8A01-400FB0905BE1.jpeg

Dope

I just grabbed this
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 7.36.38 PM.png

Im coppin whatever I can find in 9 and 10 grades and then scouring for the best condition raws I can, for the low. Gonna send in the best of whatever I end up with

just bought a bunch of raw low-end Luka rookies, plus a prizm rc too

Last edited:
Dope

I just grabbed this
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 7.36.38 PM.png

Im coppin whatever I can find in 9 and 10 grades and then scouring for the best condition raws I can, for the low. Gonna send in the best of whatever I end up with

just bought a bunch of raw low-end Luka rookies, plus a prizm rc too

That’s a great find..but yea I love PSA 9’s. Everyone focuses on the 10’s but most of the time they fail to realize if the 10’s go up so will the 9’s eventually.

Solid prices on those. They will only go up, once the season starts and if they make the playoffs and then wins ROY.

Yea that’s what my thought process was when I bought them. Seller offered a bulk deal if I took them all and couldn’t say no. They already seem to be floating around the $115-120 range right now.

I’m loaded on Luka rookie prizms, got like 6 raw ones ready to be graded. They are my babies lol

I feel you! I just grabbed 1, them joints are damn near $200 raw right now..
wanted to grab a silver but they're pricy

That’s a great find..but yea I love PSA 9’s. Everyone focuses on the 10’s but most of the time they fail to realize if the 10’s go up so will the 9’s eventually.

Yea that’s what my thought process was when I bought them. Seller offered a bulk deal if I took them all and couldn’t say no. They already seem to be floating around the $115-120 range right now.

most def. a PSA 10 just ended now for almost $400. you got four PSA 9's for that same price

that said, just swooped this for a hundo
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.15.46 PM.png

been going in on the cheaper stuff :lol:

time for me to chilllll

Last edited:
maldonado maldonado yo that is fire. I been eyeing some those high end auto prizms. How much you end up paying.

I was bidding on a PSA 10 that got too rich for my blood at like $800 so I copped this for $250 which I thought was good. Condition wise its solid. Should be an easy 9/borderline 10 if Im lucky lol

Most of my purchases have been scouring for cheaper cops though

Last edited:
Pulled this bad boy last night..easily my best Mosaic hit thus far. Second would probably be my silver Coby.

The past couple of months, I’ve been picking up a lot of singles of players who I think are going to benefit from the playoffs/end of regular season.

Such as Jaren jackson Jr, Shai, De’aaron Fox, Ja...but now a lot of these guys have gotten a bump in their prices by card Youtubers, subscription services etc. Just curious if any of you guys have any young players on your radars I haven’t thought of.

BC131644-ED22-44A1-B3AD-3C907B037DBF.jpeg

anybody submitted any cards to be graded lately? You guys send them yourself or use group submissions?
used to do a group submission with a few of my buddies but now I just submit it myself. I don't trust anyone with my cards lol....lower end maybe but not the higher end stuff eff no

This ****s funny to me.. Im finding some stuff that clearly has centering issues yet still they're getting PSA 10's

like this Lock rookie. Its actually more off centered then the one I copped/posted

this one is easy to see with the naked eye. its off centered to the right just a bit.
Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 10.25.47 AM.png

I know they have different people grading and youre essentially at the mercy of whoever is reviewing your stuff but I thought for being the pinnacle of the grading industry, finding stuff like this easily would be few and far between

Back
Top Bottom