Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

Well...in my opinion I think this sports cards resurgence still has a good ways to go popularity wise. I don’t think the market will crash this time, but I do think it will settle some. There is no reason for Zion prices to be what they are with the amount of games he’s played.

The positives it has going for it now though are the grading companies, and the fact that the NBA and NFL are the more popular cards.

Nothing wrong with baseball I just think pop culture and the NBA are more intertwined than any other sport. At the end of the day it still comes down to the card print runs. If the companies try to up quantity it will definitely cut into some of the secondary market prices.

Giannis posted his personal collection of his own cards. Athletes are starting to invest and buy up their own cards. The sneaker resell business is slowly trickling over to the card business. Stock x selling graded cards on their site.

the modern day collecting with the new modern athletes will captivate this new era of collectors. I see kids going from Flipping shoes to retail boxes at target now. The kids our age who use to collect in the 90s are all older and have careers and have income are able to afford The expensive cards now without thinking twice.

look at some of us, were bored and just go online and buy 100-300 dollar cards like it’s nothing open eBay lol.

Cards are easily accessible to buy now than back in the day. Kids like to make a quick buck, there wasn’t reselling sneakers back when we collected cards. Now that both of these hobbies are present, I can see the younger kids transitions over from the sneaker culture. Especially NBA collectors

I remember the influx of shoe reviews and shoe YouTubers, now I see slowly more and more card collecting videos and card you tubers and people doing live breaks.
Although the hobby may be different than what it use to be, I see this with more kids trying to do quick flips and make money as oppose to the passion for the cards and the hobby. Similar to how the shoe hobby ha changed for worse.

Again this is all just my opinion

Giannis posted his personal collection of his own cards. Athletes are starting to invest and buy up their own cards. The sneaker resell business is slowly trickling over to the card business. Stock x selling graded cards on their site.

the modern day collecting with the new modern athletes will captivate this new era of collectors. I see kids going from Flipping shoes to retail boxes at target now. The kids our age who use to collect in the 90s are all older and have careers and have income are able to afford The expensive cards now without thinking twice.

look at some of us, were bored and just go online and buy 100-300 dollar cards like it’s nothing open eBay lol.

Cards are easily accessible to buy now than back in the day. Kids like to make a quick buck, there wasn’t reselling sneakers back when we collected cards. Now that both of these hobbies are present, I can see the younger kids transitions over from the sneaker culture. Especially NBA collectors

I remember the influx of shoe reviews and shoe YouTubers, now I see slowly more and more card collecting videos and card you tubers and people doing live breaks.
Although the hobby may be different than what it use to be, I see this with more kids trying to do quick flips and make money as oppose to the passion for the cards and the hobby. Similar to how the shoe hobby ha changed for worse.

Exactly..I remember when people used to say sneakers was a fad that would pass. But look at us now in 2020.

Well...in my opinion I think this sports cards resurgence still has a good ways to go popularity wise.

100%. Its a convergence of old timers that never left the hobby, older cats who collected as kids that are dads/have careers now, and young hustlers/resellers who spot the opportunity. The old timers are the old timers but those that pick it back up and the flippers will only continue to grow. Add the unprecedented sports stoppage and subsequent restart and you have the perfect recipe for this to explode wayyyy more

Cards take up a hell of a lot less space than sneakers too :lol:
No doubt
The kids our age who use to collect in the 90s are all older and have careers and have income are able to afford The expensive cards now without thinking twice.

Lol yup!
Just won both these on the bay
Screenshot_20200620-160750_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200620-160644_Chrome.jpg

I don't believe Giannis is actually buying these. Panini sends athletes these cards to be signed and the most likely scenario here is he decided to keep a copy of each for his collection.

I'm not sure what happened recently but I can assure it's not the kids hunting retail boxes to flip that made this market explode. We have serious investors dropping major coins on collectibles, it was even inferred that these are being used as a method to launder money; I don't believe it, but I do know non collectors are investing simply for profit.

Prices are out of control. Giannis RC's going for 5 figures, Rookie Patch Auto's of Lebron going for a million. Zion is commanding more money than any Michael Jordan Rookie Cards. It's insane.

Like you said, I'm part of the demographic who are now coming back to collecting since I have more income but, my goodness, I think I chose a pretty bad entry point since most items are out of reach.

Like you said, I'm part of the demographic who are now coming back to collecting since I have more income but, my goodness, I think I chose a pretty bad entry point since most items are out of reach.

I just got back in too but I feel the opposite. its the perfect time/opportunity.

Plenty of stuff out there for any budget IMO

I just got back in too but I feel the opposite. its the perfect time/opportunity.

Plenty of stuff out there for any budget IMO
Are you collecting basketball? Wax prices are ridiculous right now, single inserts? multiplied by 3-5 times.

I was eyeing a few Giannis autographs (Panini Noir for example) and they were less than $400 a few months ago. They're worth $1200 now. Tatum, Luka Prizm RC's? $50-$100 are now reaching $400. Kobe stuff have doubled. They're actually selling more now than the time of his death.

Can cite more samples but it's endless.

I’m not saying cards aren’t back, they are. My point is that I still don’t think they are an “investment” any more than buying scratch offs are an investment. You can make some quick cash but there are too many variables long term. To me, the money right now seems to be in opening up a shop. Everything shut down over the last twenty years and the empty target shelves tell us that the demand is greater than the supply.

Buying raw cards on eBay is such a crapshoot.

Pretty much market price but a gamble if it’s gradeable or not, and usually it isnt otherwise the seller would have sent it in. So hard to tell by pictures alone, but then again great deals to be had as well.

Resurgence in cards have been built on zion/luka but I have no idea if it’s sustainable. Yeah once sports resumes it may increase, but could stay stagnant or decrease as well. No gambling, no money to be spend on sporting events etc so it went to sports cards and breaks - pretty much glorified gambling. Smart money is on individual cards or selling sealed wax. Once things resume, money goes back into spending on other things (sporting events, gambling, etc). I’m in it for the long haul as a fan, but wouldn’t advise throwing all this money into it without knowing anything about it.

Im not in on Zion either (as an investment). A generational player like AD barely sells well and he has a shot at a title this year. Do we think zion > AD? Do we think zion has a better shot at a title in his career over AD right now?

Like anything else, I wouldn't put money that you couldn't afford to lose.

Opening packs is def like playing slots or the lotto. I rarely do it but will occasionally, purely to take my L.
:nthat:

Buying singles, IMO, is more like stocks. ****s volatile and is dependant on many things but is most directly tied to player performance. Unlike scratch tickets because there's still value (whatever that ends up being). A non winning scratch ticket is worthless

Could the **** all tank? Sure. That goes for anything though, including the economy as a whole. Nothings guaranteed.

It's fun, kinda like gambling on sports.

Are you collecting basketball? Wax prices are ridiculous right now, single inserts? multiplied by 3-5 times.

I was eyeing a few Giannis autographs (Panini Noir for example) and they were less than $400 a few months ago. They're worth $1200 now. Tatum, Luka Prizm RC's? $50-$100 are now reaching $400. Kobe stuff have doubled. They're actually selling more now than the time of his death.

Can cite more samples but it's endless.

I am. Mostly basketball. I rarely cop wax. Haven't touched Giannis.

Its just two different perspectives. I think there's still a lot of room for the Luka, Ja rookies, etc to continue to climb. Thats how this works though. The guy who thinks stuffs hit a ceiling or will all fall down sooner than later, sells it to me. We'll see where things end up in the future.

Exactly especially with the lack of sports on now and the sports betting taking off the last few years with sports betting legalizing in a lot of states.The last few months this have filled that void with cards.

I see that transitioning huge from sports betting and into sports cards. Some correlation.

maldonado maldonado btw I bought two raw Luka silver prizms last night. SMH.

Exactly especially with the lack of sports on now and the sports betting taking off the last few years with sports betting legalizing in a lot of states.The last few months this have filled that void with cards.

I see that transitioning huge from sports betting and into sports cards. Some correlation.

maldonado maldonado btw I bought two raw Luka silver prizms last night. SMH.

DAMN!!! IMO thats the best play out of the options (Zion, Giannis, etc), super dope pick ups my g. Prob the single card I'm most bullish on. It'll never be cheaper than it is now (and that thing still hitting for a pretty penny lol)

maldonado maldonado the psa 10s are going for close to 3 racks and up, stupid crazy man. Yea wanted to pick up as many as I can before the nba picks back up and into the playoffs. Now it’s time for me to lay low after this past month. I know both of us been going in as of late haha.

br0keballer br0keballer

yup, I'm on the exact same. Figure if Im gonna cop now is the time. Its only gonna get more expensive once games get going again next month.

Yeah my last cops were a Ja Mosaic prizm silver, Ja Mosaic variation disco prizm and a base Luka prizm. I'm DEF chillin lol

Got a few things I gotta send in to get graded and thats it

Got a couple hundred thousand cards from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's in the stash.

I have a box of about a hundred or so gems in hard plastic that might have some value. Couldn't reach it today as it was behind some stuff. Soon come though.

Found some other cool stuff in the meantime...

20200621_164623.jpg
20200621_164641.jpg
20200621_164654.jpg
20200621_164705.jpg
20200621_164717.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom