Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

As someone who has been collecting since the 80's and seen highest of highs and lowest of the lows I would be awfully skeptical of the value of all this retail that people are buying in bulk.

I love ripping wax as much as the next guy, but I will never spend that kind of money (unless it's being flipped sealed) on retail anything.

I'm not sure a lot of the people who are searching for retail was around 2-3 years ago when retail was always a bad buy.

You come across some?

I do think its funny that Panini squeezed one last product out of last years rookie class with Hoops Premium when you got regular Premium for 2020-21 dropping in the next month LOL

Just some funny biz w/ the MJ Holdings rep lol he def pushing product backdoor
Trying to cash one last time from the Zion/Morant/Herro draft class lol.

Curious how the hobby reacts to Lamelo Ball and Wiseman, probably won’t make a difference. Everyone is just thirsty to rip some boxes lol.

People gotta be smart and do their homework obviously but I think wax is less risky than singles, even though 98% of my breads went to singles cuz I can't find wax lol

Last edited:
maldonado maldonado i didn’t come across any. I think my luck is out now.

I’m so tempted to buy on eBay but I’m scared of those resell prices lol I just wanna rip all packs!!!! So fun!

Do they still list common core odds and odds of other inserts? Boxes may be rare where you live but there's probably a warehouse of 50,000 of these boxes just waiting.

Seeing some good looking numbered cards on eBay for $40-$60. What happens when this is the best card you get and you are spending $500?

I think I mentioned it here before. This has lotto scratch off vibes written all over it. I got out about 2001 and never looked back.

With social media connecting so many people, is there a database that lists all the known cards that have been spotted or found? Like if a 1 out of 1 is spotted of LeBron in a certain brand/set, do folks start to look elsewhere? I guess what I'm asking is, is it better to be first to a release, or see what people are getting and gauge your odds?

The lottery posts what is available on their websites. If 2 out of 2 million dollar winners are claimed, it's not really worth playing. But if 3 out of 4 $100,000 winners are remaining in another game, you may take your shot?

Are people analyzing cards like this?

People gotta be smart and do their homework obviously but I think wax is less risky than singles, even though 98% of my breads went to singles cuz I can't find wax lol

You seem like a nice enough person who has a genuine interest in collecting, but saying wax is less risky than singles is crazy. Ripping packs and boxes is nothing more than gambling. One could remove all risk by just buying the actual single they want. Buying singles is by far the safest way to collect.

Do they still list common core odds and odds of other inserts? Boxes may be rare where you live but there's probably a warehouse of 50,000 of these boxes just waiting.

Seeing some good looking numbered cards on eBay for $40-$60. What happens when this is the best card you get and you are spending $500?

I think I mentioned it here before. This has lotto scratch off vibes written all over it. I got out about 2001 and never looked back.

With social media connecting so many people, is there a database that lists all the known cards that have been spotted or found? Like if a 1 out of 1 is spotted of LeBron in a certain brand/set, do folks start to look elsewhere? I guess what I'm asking is, is it better to be first to a release, or see what people are getting and gauge your odds?

The lottery posts what is available on their websites. If 2 out of 2 million dollar winners are claimed, it's not really worth playing. But if 3 out of 4 $100,000 winners are remaining in another game, you may take your shot?

Yes they do list odds and what a lot of people seem to not understand is that regardless of odds retail products do not contain the cards that people see selling for huge money with only a handful of exceptions. A lot of people are chasing things that are virtually impossible to find. Nothing in retail sold for anything until the past few years and I would bet that a lot of those won’t hold the value people think once the hype dies and the people leave the hobby just like all the old sneaker heads have done.

As far as tracking cards goes people have been doing that for a while now. On blowout forums people track all types of stuff and most seasoned collectors already know what the odds are and who has what. Someone pulling a massive 1/1 may drive some folks away from buying, but the people who collect those huge chase cards don’t usually buy wax they just buy the cards they want.

I would think most people are ripping retail for fun and as lotto tickets - nothing more.

I brought this up a while back asking if the retail odds had improved vs what they used to be.

Retail or opening sealed wax is pretty much a gamble especially at the prices hobby is going for.

Odds are stacked against you to hit value if you’ve paid $1500 for a retail 19-20 prizm box. A perfect Zion won’t even get you value back.

Walked into Walmart this morning and vendor was finishing up stocking. 4 dudes waiting and I just took whatever they gave me. At this point I’m surprised they willingly gave me anything at all lol.

You seem like a nice enough person who has a genuine interest in collecting, but saying wax is less risky than singles is crazy. Ripping packs and boxes is nothing more than gambling. One could remove all risk by just buying the actual single they want. Buying singles is by far the safest way to collect.

Hold on, we're talking about two different things.

I agree, buying singles in the safest way to collect. Which is why 99% of what Ive bought has been singles.

When I say wax is less risky, I am not talking about ripping wax.

I'm referring to unopened wax vs singles. With singles, lets say you put all your money in Ja Morant. If he gets hurt or busts, all your eggs are in one basket. Unopened 2019-20 wax has less risk because you're spreading it out amongst the entire rookie class/etc. Thats all Im saying

Opening wax is literally scratch tickets.

Reason why I feel Panini holds the goods and releases certain Batch of cases Later on to the suppliers that may hold a 1/1 zion etc.. so more consumers keep buying and ripping trying to chase for that certain card.

you put a 1/1 Rookie on a high end first off the line product and News goes out that it is pulled the value of the product goes down knowing that certain card is already pulled And the chase is gone

you put a 1/1 Rookie on a high end first off the line product and News goes out that it is pulled the value of the product goes down knowing that certain card is already pulled And the chase is gone

It does not really work like this as I said earlier the people who purchase those big time chase cards don't really rip a ton of wax. Take NT for instance. Once the logoman Zion has been pulled that wont effect the value of the RPA /99.

As far as unopened wax yeah it can be a somewhat safe hold over time, but we are talking hobby boxes. I would not really advise one to hold a ton of retail and expect to get rich.

As far as unopened wax yeah it can be a somewhat safe hold over time, but we are talking hobby boxes. I would not really advise one to hold a ton of retail and expect to get rich.

I feel you. I don't ever even find wax Lol so I'm not the one hoping to get rich off unopened retail.

Flipping anything for 3 or 4x times what you paid is always good business though.

Rip, hold - do whatever floats your boat. This is fun to me, it's just a side hobby I loved as a kid and got back into recently to do w/ my sons

That's one of the reasons I gave up boxes a long time ago. I was sick of sitting on boxes and boxes of worthless base and it hurts to bad to throw away so they just sit.

Back
Top Bottom