Anyone have any tips on how to raise my credit limit?

Last time I called customer service to raise it I got denied (about 1.5 years ago). 
My card is border line maxed out, should I pay it off before requesting to get it raised? I would assume yes but it's in the companies interest to give money to people who retain debt and do not spend responsibly so I dunno.

What should I tell them when they ask why I want to raise it?

any other tips? Its currently at 3k, I want to get it around 6 or 7k.

Save all the BS about how bad credit cards are because I already know. Im just a college student trying to get by, and you all know how the job market is looking right about now.

A more realistic limit would be around 4500-5k

Aiming for 7k is a big too much. Doubling ur current limit isn't reasonable.

Pay off the card , they'll look up your usage.

You can always mention that you'll just stop using their card and opt for another company. Most will give you the limit increase

because they don't want to lose a customer.

Most CC companies does "check" your credit score but for the most part, you have to have a good payment record as in no late payments and try not to pay the minimum all the time.
It really depends on the company though, some wouldn't give you the increase until the card isn't maxed out so I would suggest paying at least half of it off and then ask for an increase.
You can also ask for a smaller increase at a time, maybe just $1k increase and you'd have a better chance.

Although it is in their best interest to let people be more in debt, the economy and with banks closing left and right, they prefer people who can pay more and not max out than those who are always maxed out and pays the minimum every month.

its not a bad idea to keep a small balance on your credit card.

do you have a job/steady income? that always helps.  when i graduated i hada  5k limit.  but once i got a job i called to ask for a 25k limit saying i was about to make some large purchases.  they ended up giving me 15k limit which was more than enough.

bottom line, yes pay most of your balance off. ask for 10k, they will probably give you about 7-8k.

They'll be more inclined in giving you a credit increase, if you pay off the current amount you owe.

Back
Top Bottom