Anyone Here Work For Themselves/Own Their Own Business?

I'm also looking to start a small business/work for myself, my dad has been working for himself for a couple of years now and he seems to enjoy it. I want to start a small dump truck business locally and I've been reading up on some stuff but what would be the best way to go about this? I'm working on getting my CDL soon and hopefully build some experience and get something going for myself. 

In my opinion. After you get your CDL. Buy one dump truck. Work your butt off getting as much business as you can to buy another one and keep expanding. I always feel like with businesses like this you start out small. One or two customers. Keep building a network of potential clients and constantly investing in your company's growth.

What will your business entail of exactly?

Online retail is tiring as hell unless you're selling something really hyped that sells itself. For everything else where there are other retailers out there on the internet and brick-and-mortar selling the same stuff, it's a lot of work to distinguish yourself and your product offering from them. Newcomers will come into the market and try to price at a near-zero profit margin to take customers and that only ruins the game for everybody involved. The good thing is that this sort of business doesn't require you to have any sense or certifications, but that's a double edged sword when you have bird brains coming into it. I've had to write a lot of C&D letters from people (new businesses) stealing pics and copy/pasting text and I haven't even been in the industry two full years yet.

Online retail is tiring as hell unless you're selling something really hyped that sells itself. For everything else where there are other retailers out there on the internet and brick-and-mortar selling the same stuff, it's a lot of work to distinguish yourself and your product offering from them. Newcomers will come into the market and try to price at a near-zero profit margin to take customers and that only ruins the game for everybody involved. The good thing is that this sort of business doesn't require you to have any sense or certifications, but that's a double edged sword when you have bird brains coming into it. I've had to write a lot of C&D letters from people (new businesses) stealing pics and copy/pasting text and I haven't even been in the industry two full years yet.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you moving? My girl and I are in a similar business situation where people constantly take photos/names/ideas/etc and use them to make themselves money.

Any reason why you're not plugging your business in this post? I don't know if you have already told NT about it already, but if you haven't, why not? Do you have locations as well, or strictly online?

I know most people here work normal jobs and that's cool but does anyone here get it on their own?  I'm looking to save some money and gain experience from working this part-time job and parlay that into investing into my own business.  

I know it's difficult though so any advice from someone who's doing it on their own is appreciated.
check this thread. I built a nice empire in like 9 months.... Quit my job , earnings over 1/4 million dollars... Hard work pays off. i traveled state to state city to city for the past 6 months, went to networking conventions,made contacts, it was all worth it!

Work your butt off! No partying clubs and No sleep! lol Well i did go to clubs sometimes

http://niketalk.com/t/579017/purcha...ics-from-china-based-websites-yay-or-nay/0_60

Last edited:
It's mostly my girl's project, and it's selling jewelry (mainly costume, but a little gold and silver) and various monogram accessories. It's entirely online, but some of the monogram work is done locally.

There had been some new litigation between among a big influencer in the niche of costume jewelry we're in and a well-known online costume jewelry store that was selling similar-looking stuff. That kinda put the whole thing down a gear or two while we waited to see how that ended--which was in a settlement so who knows.

Normally, for our issues at least, a quick C&D letter lets people know we saw what they did and that it's time to stop.

We've made a few changes here and there to move forward, but also trying to resort back to some of the stuff that got us to the point we're at.

I haven't plugged it on NT because--at least historically--NT is full of haters, and it takes enough work to keep things moving as it is.

I haven't plugged it on NT because--at least historically--NT is full of haters, and it takes enough work to keep things moving as it is.

Word. I figured that's why. Sounds like good business though. We're selling shapewear for women, and it's doing really good. Three locations and an online shop. There's a good site that I could point you toward if you're interested in plugging your site. DM me and I can give it to you.

Back
Top Bottom