Anyone remember MIKE23 brand? Sent Cease & Desist by Nike/JB *interesting read*

A really insightful read into how the corporate cogs move to crush the little man. Some great comments after the article too...

There's also a surprise mention of this very forum and the fact it hasn't received a C&D itself! Perhaps that's one for the higher ups to address if they get a chance!

Also it would be interesting to hear if any one knows what became of Scott Nelson and whether or not he still works in the industry...

http://www.murketing.com/journal/?p=1102

[h1]Nike to “homage[/h1]

Good read. Nike and JB knows not to come after NT tho. They need us. It's evident in the way the final version of a shoe seems to go along with what the thread for that shoe wants. Many in the know NT'ers (rockdeep) have said that all you see on the laptop screens at the Beaverton campus are black and red pages. And the backlash from coming after us wouldn't be worth it.

I read this before and not surprised.

But let's be honest, MJ is an !%+!%$%, if he saw someone wearing something like Mike23 clothing that isn't making him money he would straight up tell you to take that +#%+ off.

I remember this brand well. I had their shirt they made to match the Playoff VIIIs. it had a interior print that was on the lining. I always wanted their elephant print hoody too. It was 
pimp.gif

Funny enough, Nike SB ripped off the idea of his hoody after they saw Nas wearing it in a issue of XXL and made a elephant print hoody of their own the following year.

Originally Posted by morningstar7777

I know Scott, he's been playing basketball and doing fine.

That's good to hear. Would be great if he was still doing something within the industry.

good read... ain't really that familiar with the brand, but from what ya'll posted.. seems that Scott's brand was the real deal... JB/Nike should've just hired him instead... might've been a big asset to them...

Here's an example of some of his apparel:
mike23_newera-59fifty-1.jpg

Pretty clean I think!

Just Google Image "Mike23" and you can see some other examples including the Elephant Print sofa.

Does it suck for him that he got told to pound sand sure it does ,but the bottom line is there is a copy right on the brands and he is infringing on it.

Originally Posted by jenks82278

Does it suck for him that he got told to pound sand sure it does ,but the bottom line is there is a copy right on the brands and he is infringing on it.

ever hear of fair use though? Yet I doubt Nelson wants to go there with Nike because it'll be an uphill battle....I remember this guy and Migente clothing as well. On a side note, Nike cannot come after NT because it does not own it, NT  is doing nothing wrong. Nike doesn't mind that NT exists because it is to their benefit......

I remember the cement MIKE23 "converse" lows. I still have them somewhere, I have that cement hoody too.. Copped from Clientele in NYC, still love that tee ghostface did for Clientele too. I miss the old NY

basically a bootleg brand..
i mean come on: wings logo, variant jumpman logo, don't know about elephant print being patented but i've yet to see it on another sneaker that's not nike or jordan.
so i guess Mike23 had it coming.
http://www.highsnobiety.c...r-07-collection-preview/ : 2007 collection, more things i noticed such as the "MIKE" being exactly the same font NIKE uses, which could be misleading for some people. The whole collection looks like the apparel NIKE used to put out in the 90's....

so i don't think it's a case of Nike putting the lil man down... it's their right to do so with such blatant infringements of intellectual property laws.

on a personal level: you'll never catch me walking around with a sweater with Mike written on it... I'll throw on a Rudy Gay jersey before I ever do that.

Couch is quite ill though!

Peace

No matter what the reasoning is given to "shut him down". I will always support his brand and people like me would be the ones to keep his line alive. I still rock his different variety of lacelocks in some of my Jordans. I'm really hoping for his return. Just another damn story of an industry trying to crush a mans hustle . . .
tired.gif
Let some of the lower end have some of the money!!

Eh, I knew he would get shut down sooner or later. Yeah there are loopholes in copyright laws and all that, but his stuff was literally biting off too close to all the Nike/Jordan brand related logos. Only thing different was the name which still looked similar to the "Nike" logo. I'm not gonna front, I own a few pieces too, but I'm surely not surprised that it's no longer around. I mean, just like my avatar, it wasn't too hard to reproduce the old school Jordan wings logo. I won't be surprised if Nike went after me if I were to profit off a design like that.

Now that I look back at it, Mike23 stuff is kinda corny. Maybe my tastes in clothes these days have changed, but it looks like all the other crap that Jordan Brand produces these days, which is also cheesy/corny.

It's only a matter of time Mike23's designs will get old and bland. I mean, who doesn't agree that dude overused elephant print? How much longer can you bank off of that seriously? Nike did him a favor.
laugh.gif

Damn, I was literally just Googling this because I still want some of those gold "MIKE" lace locks.

Nike should have just let him live.

at first i was like "wow thats messed up" then i googled his brand and saw his blatant disregard for copyrights and said "wow thats messed up" ... so he def had it coming, nike didnt want to stop what he was, they wanted to stop what he may have become. Competition.

Back
Top Bottom