Anyone use a safety razor to shave?

I've always had trouble with razor burn and ingrown hairs on my face and i read that a safety razor can help reduce or eliminate both if used correctly.  does anyone have experience with one?

for those who don't know what one is
moz-screenshot-15.png

safety-razor.jpg

Never heard it, but I'd say just try it if you don't get feed back on here, I mean, it can't hurt

My experience with using a straight razor and double edge (safety) has turned what was once a daily burden into a meditative ritual. Using traditional safety razors with practice gives you a much closer and enjoyable shave, not to mention the blades only costing around five bucks. Those Gillette multi-blade razors irritate your skin and give you a crappy shave. 
classicshaving.com

badgerandblade.com

To get yourself started:

Any Merkur safety razor will be great + blades

Pure Badger Brush

Shaving soap in a bowl (Or you can buy the refill puck of soap and use a mug)

Trust me, one of the best choices you'll ever make to improve your morning and health is to start traditional wet shaving.

Go. Now.

Get yourself used to a single, raw blade going across your face. Then you can graduate:

Never heard of such a thing. Looks interesting.

I've always wanted a straight edge, but I don't want to spend that much for it. I haven't shaved in over a year because of the bumps and burns. I just trim.

Originally Posted by lawinnn

My experience with using a straight razor and double edge (safety) has turned what was once a daily burden into a meditative ritual. Using traditional safety razors with practice gives you a much closer and enjoyable shave, not to mention the blades only costing around five bucks. Those Gillette multi-blade razors irritate your skin and give you a crappy shave. 
classicshaving.com

badgerandblade.com

To get yourself started:

Any Merkur safety razor will be great + blades

Pure Badger Brush

Shaving soap in a bowl (Or you can buy the refill puck of soap and use a mug)

Trust me, one of the best choices you'll ever make to improve your morning and health is to start traditional wet shaving.

Go. Now.

thanks for the input... i ordered a merkur 34c, some col. conk shaving soap and a variety pack of blades from westcoastshaving.com.  i'm excited for everything to get here because i'm sick of the terrible shave i get with a mach 3 or something similar.

also to TheDudeMT, while a safety razor itself is relatively pricey, the blades are much cheaper than a mach 3 or fusion type razor.  just a thought.  i used to try to just trim like you and only shave when necessary but i want a cleaner shave monday-friday

merkur blades you need to be careful with op they're crazy sharp....dont apply too much pressure or you'll cut yourself

i use a parker razor

Make sure you buy a brush and bowl as well, you're doing the razor and blades a huge disservice when you use the store bought crap on your face.

Go with the most inexpensive pure badger brush you can find, don't break the bank just yet on the high end (silver tip, etc.) because you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Merkur razors are great, I bought one with a longer handle, though.  It's just a matter of preference, I have a 60s era Gilette with the short handle and it's not bad, I just prefer the balance the longer handle gives me.  The variety pack is a great idea, not all blades are created equal and some work better for others.  I've had the best luck with Wilkinson Sword blades, Feather, and Derby.

I would eventually recommend either a pre-shave oil or lotion.  Right now I'm using Proraso's pre-shave cream, it also doubles as a nice after shave.  I think it was about 15 but you only use a small amount, so it lasts and lasts.

proraso_prepostshave_01_LRG.jpg

For shaving creams I use Taylor of Old Bond Street right now, I love their Sandalwood scent.  Again, it's about 12 bucks online, but I've only used a quarter of the tub and I've been shaving for months with it.

tobs-cream-400.jpg

Make sure you follow it up with an after shave lotion, I use a combination of the Proraso and Nivea for men Sensitive post shave balm.

You should love it, like lawinnn said, it takes a daily chore into a relaxing ritual that makes you feel great.  My face has never felt better, my shaves are closer and smoother, I get 0 razor burn, plus it makes you feel like a real bad #**.

For people who are on the fence or interested..

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

There's a quick run down of some of the basics and products, as posted before there are websites dedicated to this craft and plenty of info.  The total cost seems like too much at first, but trust me it's a value in the end.

You shell out the up front costs of the razor, brush, bowl.  It probably cost me 50-60 bucks for those items, could be more or less depending on the quality.  But I can buy a 100 pack of Derby razors for 15 dollars and only use them two times each and get 200 shaves for 15 dollars.  Compare that with buying a four pack of Gillette Fusion razors which probably costs the same amount, and I really hope you're not using each razor 50 times
laugh.gif
  Not to mention the high quality shaving creams last longer than the crap in a can, plus they're much higher quality.  I paid 75 dollars total but won't have to buy any shaving products for a year.  And that's assuming you're shaving every other day.

Edit: yeah I forgot to say.. OP make sure you watch some tutorial videos first so you don't end up killing yourself with it.  You don't even want to apply real pressure, the weight of the razor does all the work.  Remember, you're scraping a razor blade across your neck, you want to be gentle.  Once you get used to it, though, you'll be a lot more comfortable and confident.  I can take the blade without cream and just use water if I wanted to... I don't, but I could.

OP. is that the "long" Merkur?
I just got that one (1st double edge safety razor I have owned), and it is AWESOME!
After the first week, you get used to it and lose the fear of cutting yourself up. I get wayyyyyyyyy less bumps, and just a cleaner shave. It's also much cheaper when it comes to blades. I bought a box of 100 Derby blades for $14 shipped.

I got a brush too a few years back, and use nancy boy shaving cream (based in SF
pimp.gif
).
Only thing I'm missing is the bowl.

I've been using one for almost a year now - and it's very good.

I nicked myself a few times at the beginning - like with any new type of razor - but once you get used to it it works very well. You need a lot less pressure than those modern multiblade things so there is less skin irritation.

The biggest advantage IMO is the cost - I bought the razor for about $15 last year and the soap lasts for ages and the blades are literally pennies - so I replace them regularly. With my previous Gillette razor the blades were so expensive that I used to use them as long as possible - they were great when new but most of the time they were well past their best.

i'm glad to see that everyone seems to have had good experiences with safety razors... i hope that it will save me some money in the long run, but even if it didn't i'd be happy with a better shave.

EZLN1 i don't think that the 34c is the long merkur... i could be wrong though

I'll give safety razors a try.  My facial hair grows in thick and is a pain to get a clean shave.  I usually just shave the mustache area and trim everything else with an electric shaver for some 5 o'clock shadow.  I don't want to pay the crazy prices for the gillette fusion blades anymore (they gave me the closest shave).

Originally Posted by Doe Or Die 22

What's the difference between a safety blade and a Gillette Fusion?
Safety blade is just a single razor blade, whereas with the Fusion you have 5 tiny blades. 

It's advertised that more blades means a reduction in friction, so it's naturally better than fewer blades.  Many who actually use safety razors would disagree.  I know plenty of people who still purchase Mach 3 over Fusions because they dislike the 5 blade system, it's all about preference.

The biggest difference besides preference, is cost.  As I mentioned, for the same price of a Fusion four pack, I can buy 100 single razor blades.  Even if I use each blade only twice I could still get 200 shaves from that same price.  When I would use the Fusions there was no way I would use each blade anywhere close to that much, it would be torture.

With most things, they slap on another blade, give you another color, say it has special moisture pads for a cleaner shave, and people just assume it to be true.  Meanwhile the vast majority haven't tried the simpler method of safety or straight razors, so how can they know to compare?

So a safety razor is similar to the disposable one blade razors, except that you don't have to toss the handles, you can replace the blade?

The longer one is the Merkur 38c. I use that one myself and have been very pleased with it. Make sure to order a variety pack of blades. I bought a 100 pack (20 different brands, with 5 blades each) on ebay for ~$20.00. I've found ones that are great and others that are not ...

After a week or so, you won't look back ...

Originally Posted by Doe Or Die 22

So a safety razor is similar to the disposable one blade razors, except that you don't have to toss the handles, you can replace the blade?
More or less.. the quality on safety razor blades are better, and of course the handle is superior to the plastic disposables.. but yeah you keep the handle and just toss the blades after a few uses.  I use each blade a few times each with no decline in quality.

Originally Posted by fortheloveofthegame8

The longer one is the Merkur 38c. I use that one myself and have been very pleased with it. Make sure to order a variety pack of blades. I bought a 100 pack (20 different brands, with 5 blades each) on ebay for ~$20.00. I've found ones that are great and others that are not ...

After a week or so, you won't look back ...
I did something similar, ordered a few sample packs.  It's a great idea except you have to deal with the occasional bad blade.  A few were amazing and my favorites, while a couple were awful and I immediately threw them away.

I personally use a 1940's Eversharp Schick Injector razor. I find them easier to use them some of the double edge razors. I recently purchased a 1940's Gillette SuperSpeed razor off of Ebay. I haven't tried it yet, but it is supposed to be better than a lot of the Merkurs.

As for the sample pack of blades, my advice to you would be to start with the Derby or Merkurs first. Merkurs are a love/hate but I think they are a good consistent blade for a beginner. Derbys are also very safe for beginners as well.

The Israeli blades (Super Platinum) are sharper than the Derby or Merkur, but still forgiving. I think these are great for traditional wet shaving all around. The Feathers are very sharp. They shave very well but you MUST have your angle and technique down. I would try them last. You'll likely get a great shave out of them, but get your razor angle and cutting technique down first.

I've tried just about everything with regards to shaving and I'm ready to give up...

-I have used safety razors
-disposables
-electric shaver (returned it because it destroyed my face)
-Mach 3, 4
-Schick Quatro

And no matter what, I still get bumps on my face. I tried using 'Bump Stopper 2', 'Bump Erasor', Aloe Vera aftershave, ice, etc etc and nothing has worked. I also shave after showering and exfoliating my skin and use a brush and shaving soap but it doesnt really help.

Having curly hair FTL
frown.gif

^ try using a pair of andis t-outliners

their about 65 bucks but it will be the best 65 bucks u ever spend if you are having problems with razor bumps

laugh.gif
that sucks.

An obvious thing that you probably tried, but who knows. Are you sure you're shaving with the grain the whole time? I know for me, there's a patch on my neck that grows exactly the opposite way of the rest of my neck... so for years I would shave it like everywhere else and kept getting razor burn there, until I finally altered and made sure to switch and shave with the grain there.

You seem to have tried everything, if you haven't, try looking into some pre-shave oil, I haven't needed that but I've read that's a huge factor for stopping bumps/burn.

Back
Top Bottom