Anyone viewing the current bloodbath in the global markets?

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

I feel bad for people in the business field, working for firms, banks, etc. Are MBA's having problems finding jobs? I'm applying for Physical Therapy School this year and I see why the medical field is the way to go.

I'm going into my second year for my undergrad finance degree and now I am nervous about jobs again.  I kind of hate this field because there is so much out of your control.  Ex) Apple's down 13% from its recent high and its quarter could not have been any better, literally.

The act doesn't hinder multiple platforms to trade gold...it's mostly Futures and some other derivative like investments. Retail investors are impacted more greatly, which will affect some individual investors but not the majority. Forex's statements were extreme versus some others.

Hank, Im not saying you're completely wrong but that surge doesn't look out of the ordinary especially when compared to the open. Further, when did Obama make his remarks? I'm guessing near that time as well.

Lastly, volume on the day was 479m, so it's not all that peculiar. Show the chart for the entire day for a full comparison is all I was saying.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Hank, Im not saying you're completely wrong but that surge doesn't look out of the ordinary especially when compared to the open. Further, when did Obama make his remarks? I'm guessing near that time as well.

Lastly, volume on the day was 479m, so it's not all that peculiar. Show the chart for the entire day for a full comparison is all I was saying.
Yea, around that time. My bad I guess. I hate algo and HFT so I do have a bias. Plus, ZH produced a semi-convincing chart. 
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by E3LAL

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

I feel bad for people in the business field, working for firms, banks, etc. Are MBA's having problems finding jobs? I'm applying for Physical Therapy School this year and I see why the medical field is the way to go.

I'm going into my second year for my undergrad finance degree and now I am nervous about jobs again.  I kind of hate this field because there is so much out of your control.  Ex) Apple's down 13% from its recent high and its quarter could not have been any better, literally.

Apple is just being taken down with the rest of the market. Just look at the top gainers, all short and ultra short ETFs. Just think of Apple as a good product that went on sale. Great sales on good products to don't come often so take advantage while you can.

Pretty sad that more people would rather discuss tipping than the economy. A 630 point drop still can't get everyone's attention.

Can't knock George Soros' hustle.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Who 'made $10bn on 10/1 bet that U.S. credit rating would be downgraded'?
[/h1]
  • Unknown investor or hedge fund 'made $850million bet'
  • Bet in futures market reportedly done at odds of 10/1
  • George Soros made similar bet on currency in 1992
  • But source says he wasn't involved in rumoured trade

A mystery investor or hedge fund reportedly made a bet of almost $1billion at odds of 10/1 last month that the U.S. would lose its AAA credit rating.

Now questions are being asked of whether the trader had inside information before placing the $850million bet in the futures market.

There were mounting rumours that investor George Soros, 80, famously known as ‘the man who broke the Bank of England’, could be involved.

He made more than $1billion on currency speculation when the British pound left the Exchange Rate Mechanism on Black Wednesday in 1992.

But a source with knowledge of the firm said Soros was not involved in the rumoured trade and questioned whether in fact there had been such a trade at all.

The latest bet was made on July 21 on trades of 5,370 ten-year Treasury futures and 3,100 Treasury bond futures, reported ETF Daily News.

Now the investor's gamble seems to have paid off after Standard and Poor’s issued a credit rating downgrade from AAA to AA+ last Friday.

Whoever it is stands to earn a 1,000 per cent return on their money, with the expectation that interest rates will be going up after the downgrade.

The link has been made to Mr Soros in part because he has been tied to President Obama’s administration since 2008, reported The Examiner.

He also recently stopped managing money for outside investors, meaning he is under less scrutiny from the Securities and Exchange Commision

But the mystery bet could easily have been made by another trader with similar resources, despite Mr Soros’s links with the Obama administration.

The bet also raises questions of whether President Obama and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner knew that a downgrade was on the cards.

Mr Geithner said in April there was ‘no risk’ of a downgrade - but the government now appears annoyed, not surprised, by last week’s decision.

He has since slammed S&P for showing 'terrible judgment' in their decision and a 'stunning lack of knowledge' of U.S. fiscal budget maths.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...US-credit-rating-downgrade.html#ixzz1UTtk1K5N

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

It's just a game. Just. A. Game.

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

I was just reading up on stocks, guessing now would be a bad time to get in the market huh?

Dow futures down 182 to 10,545.

This is some bullcrap. 

dang.... in 09
1 USD = 1.20 CHF

now its

1 USD = .75 CHF
sigh.. europe is now more expensive than ever

Opinion piece from Mark Cuban:

My last two posts were designed to stimulate discussion.  But lets talk the real problem that regulators, public companies, investor/shareholders and traders face.  The problem is that Wall Street doesn’t know what business it is in. Regulators don’t know what the business of Wall Street is. Investor/shareholders don’t know what business Wall Street is in.

The only people who know what business Wall Street is in are the traders. They know what business Wall Street is in better than everyone else.  To traders, whether day traders or high frequency or somewhere in between, Wall Street has nothing to do with creating capital for businesses, its original goal. Wall Street is a platform. It’s a platform to be exploited by every technological and intellectual means possible.

The best analogy for traders  ? They are hackers. Just as hackers search for and exploit operating system and application shortcomings, traders do the same thing.  A hacker wants to jump in front of your shopping cart and grab your credit card and then sell it.  A high frequency trader wants to jump in front of your trade and then sell that stock to you. A hacker will tell you that they are serving a purpose by identifying the weak links in your system. A trader will tell you they deserve the pennies they are making on the trade because they provide liquidity to the market.

I recognize that one is illegal, the other is not. That isn’t the important issue.

The important issue is recognizing that Wall Street is no longer what it was designed to be.  Wall Street was designed to be a market to which companies provide securities (stocks/bonds), from which they received capital that would help them start/grow/sell businesses. Investors made their money by recognizing value where others did not, or by simply committing to a company and growing with it as a shareholder, receiving dividends or appreciation in their holdings.  What percentage of the market is driven by investors these days ?

I started actively trading stocks in 1992. I traded a lot. Over the years I’ve written quite a bit about the market. I have always thought I had a good handle on the market. Until recently.

Over just the past 3 years, the market has changed. It is getting increasingly difficult to just invest in companies you believe in. Discussion in the market place is not about the performance of specific companies and their returns. Discussion is about macro issues that impact all stocks. And those macro issues impact automated trading decisions, which impact any and every stock that is part of any and every index or ETF.  Combine that with the leverage of derivatives tracking companies,  indexes and other packages or the leveraged ETFs, and individual stocks become pawns in a much bigger game than I feel increasingly less  comfortable playing. It is a game fraught with ever increasing risk.

The Pimco (who I think are the smartest guys on the Street) guys talk about a new normal as it applies to today’s state of  the world economy. I think just as important is the new normal as it applies to Wall Street.  Wall Street is now a huge mathematical game of chess where individual companies are just pawns.  This is money in the bank for the big players like Goldman, Morgan, etc. Why ? Because the game of chess is far too complicated for 99pct of the institutions out there investing money. So to keep up, they turn to Goldman, Morgan and the like to invent products for them. “You don’t know how to play the housing boom, let us show you

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

I was just reading up on stocks, guessing now would be a bad time to get in the market huh?

Dow futures down 182 to 10,545.

This is some bullcrap. 
Dow down 270 now. 
sick.gif

Gold at 1744

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Relax Americans, Japan and Europe were mostly responsible for the crash today
Still doesn't make me feel better

Originally Posted by E3LAL

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Relax Americans, Japan and Europe were mostly responsible for the crash today
Still doesn't make me feel better
Yea, relax, when these financial corporations ask for more bailouts when there is a run on the banks soon.

This is 2008 all over again. 

Originally Posted by GeorgeCantstandya

My Grandfather just told me how much he lost....................

DEAR LORD
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Why the !!%# is your Grandfather in anything but money market funds?

Up right now in all phases but I wouldn't believe this crap for a second. U.S. business productivity reports are trash.

Back
Top Bottom