Anyone watching First Take??? Rob Parker just said is "Is RG3 a brother or a cornball brother"

No he'd be labeled a thug, clown, goon, pimp, womanizer, idiot....but it seems like those titles are more readily accepted and thrown around at black athletes than "cornball".
I see and hear athletes, particularly black ones, splattered with those adjectives all the time.....but dare to offend white sensibilities by questioning a persons "black cultural acumen and allegiance"....and every one is up in arms.
Funny stuff.

You said earlier that if a young person gives up an abundance of pearl and instead opts to settle down with one girl, he's corny.

But you also have a problem with black men being labeled pimps and womanizers. How are we supposed to win?

Both actions are terribly misguided.

"black cultural acumen and allegiance"

IMO this is the ONLY criteria that should be used to judge one of our brothers within this context.

No sense of your own people's culture or history? I'll question you.

Outright deny your own race? (Insert certain NTer here), I'll question you.

The fools accusing others of being sell outs and labeling people corny for things like political views, dating outside the race, not conforming to stereotypes, etc are a big part our problem.

I refuse to put my own people in a box, too much of that going within our society, both figuratively and physically.

Last edited:
Cornball brothers are simply cats who become black, when it is convenient. 

Cornball brothers are also those who do not recognize game. Game is not exclusive to any one race of people, nor gender. 

White boy who tried to gain fame from his perception of Black people,

[img]http://www.cryosites.com/shared/img/v/vanilla_ice_swkxx.jpeg[/img]

Brother who tried to gain fame by acting in a fashion that he felt would endear him to whites,

[img]http://www.rallyforcommonsense.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Alan-Keyes.jpg[/img]

White boy who was successful by imitating black folk,

[img]http://greenobles.com/data_images/elvis-presley/elvis-presley-09.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately, perhaps fortunately, there are no Brothers who've crossed over, then being successful by behaving in that stereotypical white fashion.

Why?

It's simple, White people don't like Black people who sell out their own either. You are no longer authentic, then also, it seems that you've forgotten your place.

Micheal Jackson tried to straddle the fence, but as soon as he began to gain too much power and influence, he became a threat. 

No matter how you vote, speak, walk, wear or buy, no matter if you fix your nose, where you go to school, lighten your skin, or staying out of the sun so that you do not get any darker,

you will not be considered one of them.

Malcolm asked it best.

Do you know what they call a negro phd?

Last edited:
Went to espn to listen to the podcast and it was not available for download.... Wonder if it is not there on purpose?

To be fair, being a black republican is kind of cornballish...
I agree.
If you're a young black dude voting Republican during the Obama era.....you're most likely definitely a cornball.
Fixed.  If it's true that RG3 is a Republican or votes Republican, especially given that he became a registered voter during the Obama era then that truly does say alot about RG3, and it says alot about him in a bad way to me.  Also with that, you have to take into account who and what the Republican party has been representing themselves to be during this timeframe, it only makes it worse on RG3's behalf. 
Anytime a black man tries to make a better life for himself by being educated and speaking proper, he's automatically a "sell out"
Nobody is labeling RG3 a sell out because he's educated or speaks well.  I sure hope you dudes don't even believe that point.  There are plenty of black professionals or athletes in the public spot light that speak well, are educated and nobody labels them a sell out.  I'm not sure why some of you are even trying to drive that point across.  Nobody has said RG3 shouldn't have went to college, or that he shouldn't have graduated at the top of his class, I say more power to RG3 on that regard.  There are other reasons as to why some folks view him as a cornball, and as the saying goes if the shoe fits............wear it, and we all know his shoe of choice is Adidas.
Crabs in a bucket mentality running strong in the Media and here on NT.....sad but not surprising.
Alot of people are using the wrong terminology in trying to express themselves, and this is one of them.  For the specific example of RG3 the crabs in a bucket mentality doesn't really apply because there are plenty of successful professional athletes, particularly in the NFL.  Nobody is trying to bring RG3 down because he's successful, it's far from that. 

So calling a dude a "cornball" is not trying to bring someone down?

NT logic at its finest :smh:

Y'all really making cornball into some loaded derogatory term :smh:

The majority of people out there are cornball's I don't know why you guys are catching such feelings over this.

At the end of the day, he is a black republican and is passing up living the life in D.C. right now. If that was one of my boys, I sure as hell would be calling him a cornball :lol:

I understand your guys concern over the pigeonholing of blackness to one archetype. I think in a way its good that RGIII is a cornball in that way because it shows your free to reject whatever labels are thrown onto you by general society but that still don't detract from the fact that between his 1993 Poetic Justice microbraids and him voting republican, he seems to be corny. That's not a bad thing either, the world could use more corniness, too many people are focused on what is cool all the time in out Twitter/Tumblr universe. So props to him if he is indeed corny.

id say looking down on another man because of who he votes for and what sneaker company endorses him would make u more of a cornball in my eyes.  especially if your willing to write essays about it on the internet.  

id say looking down on another man because of who he votes for and what sneaker company endorses him would make u more of a cornball in my eyes.  especially if your willing to write essays about it on the internet.  
Who made an issue of the shoe company that endorses RG3??

I would not be surprised if Rob Parker is somehow a Nike guy, while suggesting something like this.

I mean, the precedent has already been set, with Nike's lead basketball designer Jason Petrie calling out Derrick Rose after his injury. 

i love how carefully u worded this cause u know damn well where u said it and u know damn well what u were implying by it.  i dont even necessarily disagree with what u are saying i just dont understand why u feel the need to keep saying it.  most athletes are cornballs.  

You said earlier that if a young person gives up an abundance of pearl and instead opts to settle down with one girl, he's corny.
But you also have a problem with black men being labeled pimps and womanizers. How are we supposed to win?
Both actions are terribly misguided.
IMO this is the ONLY criteria that should be used to judge one of our brothers within this context.
No sense of your own people's culture or history? I'll question you.
Outright deny your own race? (Insert certain NTer here), I'll question you.
The fools accusing others of being sell outs and labeling people corny for things like political views , dating outside the race, not conforming to stereotypes, etc are a big part our problem.
I refuse to put my own people in a box, too much of that going within our society, both figuratively and physically.

it's not like race and politics haven't been very much intertwined in this country since the beginning

i love how carefully u worded this cause u know damn well where u said it and u know damn well what u were implying by it.
Oh really??  So now your going to tell me what I was "implying" without me even given you a definite answer or without you even asking me what I might have meant with that statement.  For future reference champ, you would have been better served ASKING me a direct question instead of assuming.  Just like I asked you prior to this statement a direct question and you provided me with an answer.........granted it wasn't the correct answer but it was an answer nonetheless on your end. 

That's alright though, take this as a learning experience and correct yourself to not make the same mistake again.  Not to worry though, your not the first person I have corrected here on the boards and unfortunately, or rather much to my delight you won't be the last
wink.gif
most athletes are cornballs.
Now this much we can agree upon.  Alot of athletes need an abundance of help in this area. 

Barack ain't a republican....and he doesn't say "I'm not a black president, I'm just a president"

Some of y'all are ridiculous :smh:
I guess Barack and Michelle are cornball's too smh.

Barack and Michelle do have cornball tendencies, they speak well, Ivy-league educated, and Barack doesn't have any baby mamas.

#Sarcasm #Don't get your jimmies up in a rustle.

it's not like race and politics haven't been very much intertwined in this country since the beginning
The idea of calling someone like RG3 a cornball is offensive and ridiculous IMO but yeah, there are legitimate reasons why people who are minorities of any kind (black, asian, hispanic, gay, even women though that's obviously not a minority) would never vote for a Republican.  LBJ signed the civil rights act knowing the South would never vote for a Dem again, and the Republicans have played on race to win elections ever since.

Barack ain't a republican....and he doesn't say "I'm not a black president, I'm just a president"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../12/03/rgiii-talks-about-being-a-man/?print=1
when asked about the significance of being a black quarterback in a city like D.C.

“Whenever you can relate to the population of the team that you play for, I think it makes it that much more special,” he said. “I don’t play too much into the color game, because I don’t want to be the best African American quarterback, I want to be the best quarterback.

“But to the fans, and to the fans who think that way and look at me as an African American, it’s important that I succeed, not only for this team, but for them. Because it gives them that motivation, that hey, you know, an African American went out and played quarterback for my Washington ********. So I appreciate that, I don’t ever downplay anything like that. Whoever I can go out every week and motivate to do better and to try to go after their dreams, I’m up for that.”
Now shut up.

Last edited:
So sticking with the girl who's been down with you from the beggining, instead of ditching her and just *&^/$ ing around is a bad thing now? Wow!

Back
Top Bottom