Anyone writing their CFA? Vol. Finance ppl check in!

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

Thinking about it. How is it going so far?

i ordered the schweser books already...my friend wrote level 1 in dec, so i'm just looking at one of his schweser books for now

and thanks deadset! i'm 22 now...so i'm gonna do it while i'm young and motivated

How will a CFA allow one to start ballin' out of control? Are CFA's considered in high demand, like CA's? What career paths are available once youget your CFA?

Originally Posted by JC08

How will a CFA allow one to start ballin' out of control? Are CFA's considered in high demand, like CA's? What career paths are available once you get your CFA?
because on wall st...a CFA means a hell of a lot more than an MBA

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

How will a CFA allow one to start ballin' out of control? Are CFA's considered in high demand, like CA's? What career paths are available once you get your CFA?
What about a combination of MBA/CFA or Masters in Economics/CFA, which is more prized?

What about a combination of MBA/CFA or Masters in Economics/CFA, which is more prized?
well between the mba and econ...it depends what you're going to be doing. i want to say mba/cfa is better...but they're both very verysolid routes to take

What about a combo of CPA/CFA. Can accounting majors take the CFA. Hopefully my school can recertfiy their program and I can get a BS Finance and MSaccounting. Two of my favorite subjects

Originally Posted by JCASH DA KID

What about a combo of CPA/CFA. Can accounting majors take the CFA. Hopefully my school can recertfiy their program and I can get a BS Finance and MS accounting. Two of my favorite subjects
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

you need accounting work experience and finance work experience for each of those. but i mean once you pass all the exams, get the experience, you're set.and if you truly enjoy those subjects, definitely do it.

and for anyone considering, starts asap after graduating, the longer you wait, the tougher it gets to get back into study mode.

So you need work exp for the CFA? I could essentially work at a BIG 4 get my audit exp for my CPA than switch to a Finance dept and get my CFA??

So you need work exp for the CFA? I could essentially work at a BIG 4 get my audit exp for my CPA than switch to a Finance dept and get my CFA??
yeah. well im not completely positive what the requirements for work experience for the CFA are, but i'm almost positive there are some. OPmight have a better idea about this.

can you just take the CFA on your own? i am not in that field right now but it's something i may get into eventually (if i ever land a job.. just graduatedin december)... but i always thought about maybe taking it one day if i got into that sort of work.

yeah. well im not completely positive what the requirements for work experience for the CFA are, but i'm almost positive there are some. OP might have a better idea about this.

Yeah I just check it's 4 years but is that to be certfied or to actually take the test which is the question now. I think it will be to be certfied causeyou could def take it right out of college

yeah. well im not completely positive what the requirements for work experience for the CFA are, but i'm almost positive there are some. OP might have a better idea about this.

Yeah I just check it's 4 years but is that to be certfied or to actually take the test which is the question now. I think it will be to be certfied cause you could def take it right out of college
gotta be 4 years work experience. it's like a two part requirement. pass the 3 part test AND have 4 years qualifying work experience. justlike the CPA exam.

craftsy:

Become a candidate:

1. Fulfill the entrance requirements. You must:
  • Have a U.S. bachelor's (or equivalent) degree
    Or be in the final year of your bachelor's degree program at the time of registration
    (Note: proof of degree is required for progression to Level II)
    Or have four years of qualified, professional work experience
    Or a combination of work and college experience that totals at least four years.
    (Note: summer, part-time, and internship positions do not qualify)
  • Meet the professional conduct admission criteria (during the application process, you will be asked to sign statements of Professional Conduct and Candidate Responsibility).
  • Be prepared to take the exams in English.

i believe the work experience required has to do with "investment decision making"...i think i saw that on the site. so like financial planners,brokers, etc

My professor said a CFA fresh out of school with no experience of anything can start off at $200k.

By the way, what do CPA's make?

Damn, youre headed for big figures in your future.

Good luck with that, fam.
pimp.gif

I'm writing Level 1 in June. I should have written it in December, but I was too lazy... whatever.

I debated between going for my CA but ultimately decided on my CFA. Going for my CA would require me to get my DAP (diploma in accounting) which is 8 classes,and then I would have to pray to God that I networked well enough and had good enough grades to land a position with one of the Big 4. Then after jugglingauditing and CA courses, I would have to write the UFE. All in all, this process would take upwards of 4 years of HARD work, and if I decided half way throughthat it wasn't for me, I would be out a lot of money and a lot of time would be wasted. With the CFA, the only time lost is the time spent studying for theexams. To me the choice was obvious. Not to mention I have a finance background.

My brother is a CA, and he's months away from making partner at one of the Big 4, and he told me if he was to do it over again, he would go for his CFA.That basically sealed the deal for me.

As for career paths, with a CFA, it's a lot harder to become CFO (CA would come in handy) or CEO (MBA) of a company, but these analyst roles that you canapply for are $$$ and no joke. But if you're doing it only for the money, don't even bother. You need to have an interest in the material or you'llnever get through it.

My only regret is not starting sooner. I have a friend who's 23 years old, has his CFA designation already, and lets just say life is good for him rightnow.

Good luck guys - the CFA is NO joke.

actually you don't need any work experience for CFA, just a bachelors degree will suffice.

Also it is much cheaper than a university education. Total material costs should be approximately $3,000-$6,000 depending on if you need any additionaltutorial courses, etc...

actually you don't need any work experience for CFA, just a bachelors degree will suffice.

You need 4 years of 'investment decision' related work to be a designated CFA.

Currently in my soph year of undergrad and is highly considering the CFA route once I'm done. What career paths are available once you get your CFA?

Back
Top Bottom