Anyone writing their CFA? Vol. Finance ppl check in!

Originally Posted by illmatickal

Currently in my soph year of undergrad and is highly considering the CFA route once I'm done. What career paths are available once you get your CFA?

think of it like a worldwide passport, in the sense that you gain automatic respect when you have this on your resume

people view you very highly and assume you're very knowledgable in the finance industry ...you can bascially get any job you want in the field

and deadset - i think you have to submit a job description to the CFA people to see if you qualify for the work experience...i believe at least 50% of yourday has to involve active decision making ..and other bit is comprised of making decisions that contribute to the end product

I registered to take it last December, but couldn't set aside enough time to study with work and everything. I'm gonna try to take it again this June.Word of advice to anyone thinking about taking it though - understand that it's a major commitment that will require at least 4-6 months of studying.There's so much material to be covered that sometimes it seems overwhelming, so discipline is key.

JDs are the way to go. and this is coming from someone who has made $1 million in equity, derivative, and currency markets

You're gonna need to graduate with at least 150 credits coming out of undergrad to sit. But the key for acct/fina is internships, this is where they get ALOT of their talent, plus it makes it easier for you.

This sounds interesting and like something I might want to pursue. I just don't have the money for it right now at all. Can you get good books for cheap,or is it best to just shell out all the money at the websites?

Originally Posted by Dey Know Yayo

the days of CFAs, MBAs, and SEC Series-licensed individuals running *$#* are over... wall street is toast.
no sir...you are wrong. it's cyclical. there is a lot of money to be made as we recover

Originally Posted by Dey Know Yayo

the days of CFAs, MBAs, and SEC Series-licensed individuals running *$#* are over... wall street is toast.

Pure ignorance. A blanket statement like this tells me that you have no clue what you're talking about and are merely regurgitating something you heard onCNN. The days of rich prep-school kids with Harvard, Yale, and Princeton MBA's working as CEO's of major public companies is over. When you come from awealthy family, it's not hard to buy your way into any of these schools. Good luck buying your CFA, however. CFA = Respect, end of story.

currently working on my CPA 1 more semester until i get my BS after i get some auditing exp under my belt im intrested in getting into becoming a CFA but fornow one at a time

vancity- of course CFAs will always be respected, but finance professionals literally ran +@!! since the mid 80s because of the massive expansion of credit,greenspan put, etc etc. all the wealth they created was artificial and now all the financial institutions are being purged of all of that malinvestment. thathurts the finance industry the hardest and the people working in it lose a lot of the leverage they once had. wall street was THE place to work and absolutelyran +@!! since hte mid 80s. now not one single bank in america qualifies as an investment bank.

deadsetace- recover? man, we haven't had crises in commercial real estate, credit cards, student loans, i could go on and on. most of these banks aresimply insolvent, and all of them are dependent on the federal reserve now. dependent on printed money. trillions upon trillions of write-offs. there is a verybleak future for finance professionals.

Originally Posted by Vancity74

I'm writing Level 1 in June. I should have written it in December, but I was too lazy... whatever.

I debated between going for my CA but ultimately decided on my CFA. Going for my CA would require me to get my DAP (diploma in accounting) which is 8 classes, and then I would have to pray to God that I networked well enough and had good enough grades to land a position with one of the Big 4. Then after juggling auditing and CA courses, I would have to write the UFE. All in all, this process would take upwards of 4 years of HARD work, and if I decided half way through that it wasn't for me, I would be out a lot of money and a lot of time would be wasted. With the CFA, the only time lost is the time spent studying for the exams. To me the choice was obvious. Not to mention I have a finance background.

My brother is a CA, and he's months away from making partner at one of the Big 4, and he told me if he was to do it over again, he would go for his CFA. That basically sealed the deal for me.

As for career paths, with a CFA, it's a lot harder to become CFO (CA would come in handy) or CEO (MBA) of a company, but these analyst roles that you can apply for are $$$ and no joke. But if you're doing it only for the money, don't even bother. You need to have an interest in the material or you'll never get through it.

My only regret is not starting sooner. I have a friend who's 23 years old, has his CFA designation already, and lets just say life is good for him right now.

Good luck guys - the CFA is NO joke.

I thought I had a clear thought about the CFA, as I was planning on taking it within a year. But this thread just got me confused. I live in Toronto and Ifinished a 3 year college diploma undergrad for Business Admin majoring in Finance. I heard that you can pretty much write the exam straight out of school orafter 1-2 years of work experience (It needs to total 4 years which you can include your college/uni time). But now I'm hearing you need 4 years of workexperience to be "designated"? And the work experience has to be investment purposes? I dont think that's true, because CFA are alot more in theCorporate Finance field where as the CFP can be used more for investment purposes.

Damn, now I got to find away to contact a direct source.

so you just write an essay or something for the CFA? Im still in high school but I have a bright future ahead of me (not braggin). My class rank is 8 out of832 in my grade and my core GPA is 3.9722, Im a junior so I got a year and a half til I graduate.
I was planning on gettin a graduate degree in business management or international business or something along those lines in 5 years. This is what interestsme and I grew up all over the world so thats where the whole international interest comes in.

Anybody have any advice as to what I should be doing or considering. Im not really sure what this CFA is but it seems like it might be relevant.

Are you just writing an essay or something for the CFA 1? Im kinda lost.

Back
Top Bottom