Appeal of the iPhone dying?

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

But get this, it's not even a cell phone that got Apple scared, it's just merely an OS! How's that for impact?
Son...for a person who says they are as steeped into technology as you are, this was a dumbstatement.

In response to this...NO +#*@ SHERLOCK! Do you really think that it's the hardware that moves units? It'snot a question of who has the better looking device (at least for people who actually have a working knowledge of tech), but who has the superior OS. Ifhardware was the MAIN thing on these companies' (and consumers') minds, I'm sure that phones like the Mogul and Tilt would have had a betterimpact. HTC would be on everyone's lips and not Apple. But since it's not the main focus (even though it's still very important), of course Appleis going to take notice.

WinMo is a piece of +#*@ no matter what phone it's on.
If Apple had it's OS on phones with different form factors, I'm sure they'd have an even bigger grip onthe market than they do now.
Android is climbing steadily.

But Apple has always been about uniformity, so it's not going to #$%#% out it's OS to a bunch of second ratedevelopers and manufacturers, and that's why they see Android as a thread. If Android wasn't in such a hurry to get it's OS into the hands of somany people (on so many devices) then they wouldn't be nearly as relevant as they are now.

Bottom line, OS > hardware in terms of importance. So of course Apple is going to be worried, because they don't have as many devices to $*%%% it outto.

laugh.gif
at you thinkin you sonnin dude with some revolutionary info. C'mon son.
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

1C3M4M wrote:

/thread. You didnt even take the free upgrade?
smh.gif
The iPhone 3G (and an upgrade option) didn't exist in December 2007.

NationalTruckerDave wrote:

YoungTriz wrote:

you're a hypebeast

this..

OP, how you buy a phone because of it's exclusivity?

lol so you getting a Macbook next since you feel its exclusive?(even though it really isn't)

how old are you?

It was a gift. I wanted it because of multitouch, the web surfing experience, and because I was already on AT&T and needed a smartphone for
emails. I don't have a Macbook. I have an iMac from December 2008 because at the time it was a fairly priced all-in-one desktop computer (student
discount + free iPod and printer) that was capable of running both OS X and Windows.

H TOWN HUSTLER wrote:

They're still 500 plus. They're still head turners. They're the best phone ever made.

That's the word I was looking for, "head turners." I'd like to
rephrase my question as, "Are iPhones still headturners?" Yes or no. If someone's opinion is "No" does that matter to the longevity,
brand image, and profit of the iPhone?

Basically, what people fail to realize is the low pricing is because of carrier subsidizing. When it originally dropped it wasn't that much for a cell phone.

Try being a T-Mobile user like me wanting one, You're going to shell out $400 minimum for a decent size 3G one, even more for a 3GS unlocked. The iPhone still has it's appeal. It gets the job done, makes life easier, and is one of the best looking phones on the market. Hell it's an iPod, that feature alone makes it better than a LOT of phones on the market.

Don't get me wrong, the Blackberry is good for business, but in terms of something laid back, the iPhone takes the take.

T-Mobiles only other top tier phone is the Touch Pro 2, and that phone as horrible in terms of the interface in my eyes.

Sorry, but no. T-Mobile has plenty of good phones besides the BlackBerry and the Touch Pro 2. The MyTouch 3G is good. I don't care what other NTers say,the 09 LX is awesome, better than the G1. Reviews are raving about it. There's also the Behold. I don't get why people say they have no good phoneswhen this is obviously not the case.

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

1C3M4M wrote:

/thread. You didnt even take the free upgrade?
smh.gif
The iPhone 3G (and an upgrade option) didn't exist in December 2007.

NationalTruckerDave wrote:

YoungTriz wrote:

you're a hypebeast

this..

OP, how you buy a phone because of it's exclusivity?

lol so you getting a Macbook next since you feel its exclusive?(even though it really isn't)

how old are you?
It was a gift. I wanted it because of multitouch, the web surfing experience, and because I was already on AT&T and needed a smartphone for
emails. I don't have a Macbook. I have an iMac from December 2008 because at the time it was a fairly priced all-in-one desktop computer (student
discount + free iPod and printer) that was capable of running both OS X and Windows.

H TOWN HUSTLER wrote:

They're still 500 plus. They're still head turners. They're the best phone ever made.

That's the word I was looking for, "head turners." I'd like to
rephrase my question as, "Are iPhones still headturners?" Yes or no. If someone's opinion is "No" does that matter to the longevity,
brand image, and profit of the iPhone?

Basically, what people fail to realize is the low pricing is because of carrier subsidizing. When it originally dropped it wasn't that much for a cell phone.

Try being a T-Mobile user like me wanting one, You're going to shell out $400 minimum for a decent size 3G one, even more for a 3GS unlocked. The iPhone still has it's appeal. It gets the job done, makes life easier, and is one of the best looking phones on the market. Hell it's an iPod, that feature alone makes it better than a LOT of phones on the market.

Don't get me wrong, the Blackberry is good for business, but in terms of something laid back, the iPhone takes the take.

T-Mobiles only other top tier phone is the Touch Pro 2, and that phone as horrible in terms of the interface in my eyes.

Sorry, but no. T-Mobile has plenty of good phones besides the BlackBerry and the Touch Pro 2. The MyTouch 3G is good. I don't care what other NTers say, the 09 LX is awesome, better than the G1. Reviews are raving about it. There's also the Behold. I don't get why people say they have no good phones when this is obviously not the case.
T-Mobile selection of SMARTPHONES is pretty limited, besides the Blackberry, My Touch 3G, and Touch Pro 2, you don't get no smarter withphones.

The LX might be a great phone but for someone who's about business, it doesn't cut it. It's more for younger hipsters as they would say. Iwouldn't trust my data on someone elses servers at the end of the day no matter what.

The My Touch 3G is decent...but it's Android. Compared to ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile is slacking in the smart phone department.

The Behold...is not a smart phone, it's a mid level dumb phone, no where as much flexibility.

With that being said, I feel that Apple OS on the iPhone is one of the best.

I'm not trying to knock the sidekick in any shape, form, or fashion, but try selling a Sidekick LX to someone on wal street or someoen whos serious aboutcontact management.

The LX might be a great phone but for someone who's about business, it doesn't cut it. It's more for younger hipsters as they would say. I wouldn't trust my data on someone elses servers at the end of the day no matter what.
This right here is why I never bought a Sidekick and why I NEVER will.

If the iphone ever came out with a qwerty keyboard, then it would be a wrap for my BB.

I just can't see myself using a touch screen efficiently... I can't type for %%++ on my ipod touch.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by AirJus23

People who buy phones for purposes other than needs are stupid.
This coming from a guy whose name implies that he buys shoes for purposes other than needs. You really rockin practical shoes?

^Terrible analogy. Unlike the Zune, Android is actually
succeeding in competing with Apple's product and getting Apple scared.
You got the insider scoop on Apple? Enough with the speculation, both are great products. Love it or hate it, we already know that the iPhone will go down as a cultural icon. We have yet to see what impact, if any, Android will have. I would bet that nothing short of an actual Google phone will touch the iPhone though.

Are you really comparing shoes to cell phones? Idiot.
grin.gif
What speculation? Everything I said that you quoted are facts. Anyone who actually knows electronics know this. You wanna know what impact Android will have? Fine. Ever since the iPhone first released in 2007, it's been dominant in sales in the cell phone industry and many cell phones have tried to beat it but failed. Now, for the first time in years since the release of the iPhone, Android is actually giving Apple a run for its money and getting Apple scared. But get this, it's not even a cell phone that got Apple scared, it's just merely an OS! How's that for impact?
First of all, U MAD? Resorting to name calling?

Secondly, if I think it's ridiculous to buy multiple pairs of shoe because they're "cool", how is that different than you thinking it'sridiculous to buy a phone because it's "cool" (or any reason other than wearing a shoe/making calls). You're talking about buying asmartphone for more practical purposes, but the iphone/android/bberry was designed to be anything you want it to be, not just anything you need it to be.

Third, yes speculation. What is your definition of "competing with Apple", because to me they aren't at the level to be considered"competing" until they do very similar numbers. Also, who are you to say that Apple is "scared?" Do you work for the company and see thefolks scrambling because the almighty Android is inevitably going to take over? Maybe it's more your choice of words, but then that's just a matter ofmiscommunication.

Finally, just catching up to Apple does not equal impact, and Android hasn't even done that yet. Just saying, why argue over things that may or may nothappen? Only thing that really is fact at this moment is the iphone still hasn't really been touched and only time will tell what will happen.

As I said, both products are great and I think it's more beneficial to the consumer that they will motivate each other to make better products. However,Apple has always been known to not pay too much attention to what everyone else is doing (see the ipod not including certain features early on just becauseother devices were doing it). They will continue to steadily develop their products in a manner that they see most beneficial to their company's image aswell as the consumer. This is what I applaud in a company like Apple, Google can be applauded for the same.

No need to get mad and name call because I feel like there's a flaw in your logic about "buying phones for needs" nor is there a need to get madbecause I recognize that at this moment, the iphone is still the phone to beat.

Not mad, but comparing shoes to a cell phone is idiotic. Point blank. It's one thing to buy a cell phone because it's cool, but buying it just becauseit's cool and nothing else, not even for what it can do? No.

You're an idiot if you don't think Android is going straight at Apple. They're being what Apple isn't, an OPEN PLATFORM. If the early Droidcommercial doesn't convince you that Android isn't competing with Apple, I don't know what will.

Also, you're an idiot if you don't think Apple is scared of Android. Before the release of Android, there have been other multitouch phones, but whenthe Android was being released, Apple requested that Android doesn't support multitouch... Hmm, I wonder why... Also, not to mention they dropped the NDA.Also, shortly after multiple phones are picking up Android, Apple announced the 8 gig 3GS will be $99. There's probably more too, but I can't think ofany at the moment.

They haven't caught up with Apple yet, but they are slowly going up there.

Again, I'm not mad. I apologize if me calling you an idiot offended you, but some of the things you said truly was idiotic, no offense. Just being honest.

I was never really impressed, even with the discount I could have gotten from my college. I actually took the touch instead and kept my regular phone. You gobroke trying to keep up with all this phone tech and what's considered "hot".

People who buy phones for purposes other than needs are stupid.

word, iphone isnt what I needed, i was going to go the AT&T route and get it but its all hype in my opinion. I will say the Iphone has the best browser ofany phones, but thats it. Blackberrys are just amazing at multitasking. emails,every IM service (at the same time),text, every social site, music, etc. allcoming into ONE place to view
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
with the iphone its horrible trying to use all of that stuff, gotta open the apps and use them separately
alien.gif

Not mad, but comparing shoes to a cell phone is idiotic. Point blank. It's one thing to buy a cell phone because it's cool, but buying it just because it's cool and nothing else, not even for what it can do? No.

You're an idiot if you don't think Android is going straight at Apple. They're being what Apple isn't, an OPEN PLATFORM. If the early Droid commercial doesn't convince you that Android isn't competing with Apple, I don't know what will.

Also, you're an idiot if you don't think Apple is scared of Android. Before the release of Android, there have been other multitouch phones, but when the Android was being released, Apple requested that Android doesn't support multitouch... Hmm, I wonder why... Also, not to mention they dropped the NDA. Also, shortly after multiple phones are picking up Android, Apple announced the 8 gig 3GS will be $99. There's probably more too, but I can't think of any at the moment.

They haven't caught up with Apple yet, but they are slowly going up there.

Again, I'm not mad. I apologize if me calling you an idiot offended you, but some of the things you said truly was idiotic, no offense. Just being honest.
Again with the name calling.
glasses.gif

I agree that buying a phone for no other reason other than it being cool is idiotic, but that's not what you said. You specifically said for "purposesother than needs." I can think of 1,000's of things that people buy for reasons other than needs and I don't think they're stupid. Why callsomeone stupid because they buy something that they want rather than need? I'm beginning to think that you just enjoy name calling.

I know Apple didn't want multitouch on Android, but they also didn't want it on the Palm Pre. Sure, they're trying to monopolize on thistechnology, but who wouldn't do the same? It's business, that doesn't necessarily mean they're "scared." That could just mean thatthey're doing everything they can to minimize any chance of Android/Pre/*insert smartphone name here* succeeding. Truth is, they could be scared (never said they weren't, I'm just not going to make those types of claims), but Apple is gonna check forany phone out there that has any type of potential.

Where did I say Android isn't going at Apple? I don't own either, I own a Blackberry Tour, but I have nothing but good things to say about bothproducts. However, my point is (which I've mentioned before) Android still has to prove itself if it truly wants to dethrone anything. It's more thanlikely that Android will be a huge success and maybe overtake the iphone, but the iphone has already proven itself. Just read this:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/21/how-the-iphone-is-blowing-everyone-else-away-in-charts/

AT&T saw massive pops in data usage following those two launches as consumers discovered the unadulterated mobile Web for the first time.
The iPhone/iTouch combo is also the fastest-growing consumer electronics product of all time.
The iphone is the reason a lot of these people are even on the mobile web. Tell me that's not impact. BTW, I don't care about eitherproduct moreso than the other. I do like the iphone, but i like some features on android that an out of the box iphone won't do, namely downloading filesoff of the web.

Back
Top Bottom