• Case

Votes: 279 61.6%
  • Nekkid with occasional case

Votes: 55 12.1%

• Total voters
Pennies on the dollar is a complete exaggeration for selling a phone

You see the money saved with a lower bill each month
????
My bill increases monthly only the price of the phone.
So me having a 60 dollar plan plus 27 for a iPhone 6s
Is the same thing as me having a 60 dollar plan and buying my phone outright .

:lol:

Thank you for the logic, people swear they getting over. :lol: It's literally all the same, they're just giving everybody the opportunity to buy the phone in different ways.

The issue is carriers are removing the 2-yr contract subsidized phone plans. That was the incentive, you get an $800 phone for $300 as long as you stay with the carrier for two years on a new contract.

Now you either pay $800 upfront or pay $800 over 2 years if you can't do all at once.
In that case I'll just buy the phone outright unless they provided some incentive to do the payment. I'd rather have the option to sell my phone at any point for 50-80% return and apply it to a new phone. Others rather wait a complete year, give the phone back and start all over paying $800 for the next phone.

Example. I didn't buy the 6 on release day. Got it in June.

• If I paid for it outright at $800, I can get $500 for it now and apply it to the new 6s at $800 when it drops. I'm only spending $300 on a new phone, that I own ($1100 total over the span of those 2 phones).
  • Someone who is on those plans has to wait until next June to even do that, meaning they pay $400 for the year, then start paying for the new phone. If they want to own the new phone, that's an additional two years and $800. They've then spent $1200 to own the new phone and had to wait even longer.
Your example makes no sense. If you spent 800, sell it for 500, and apply the 300 to a new iPhone that cost $800 you paying $500 to get the new phone :lol:

That was a typo. The argument still stands since you're paying $1100 total ($800 for first phone - $500 for selling it + $800 for new phone) in a shorter time, compared to the other option of 3 years and more money.

What's the argument?

You paid $1100 to get two iPhones

I paid $600

Clearly neither one of us have intentions on keeping the phones since you have to keep selling them. I just give my back :lol:

What's the argument?

You paid $1100 to get two iPhones

I paid $600

Clearly neither one of us have intentions on keeping the phones since you have to keep selling them. I just give my back :lol:
Thats the argument. If you intend to keep a phone after the first upgrade, you come up short doing the leasing plan.

I dont think there is a difference monetarily between renting the phone, or paying outright. What you lose is flexibility if the mood strikes to swap phones if youre feeling in the mood for something else.. or if you happen to lose yours/break yours and need to use another in the interim.  I'd never finance a phone.. its not pricy enough to warrant such an investment

Same thing with vehicles if you plan on getting the new model every time is better to lease. If you plan on keeping the car to resell at a future date is better to finance. Same thing with the phone. You want to buy a new iphone every year do the program, you want to resell it then finance it. Leasing when it comes to iPhones is like leasing BMWs. The resell value when the new model comes out drops like crazy. Which is why I will never finance an BMW.

Last edited:
So the 6 plus is coming out this month on the 25th? I'm waiting patiently man but I need to upgrade. My current iPhone is acting up.

Should I just buy it for $199 or get this new lease deal? Dude at phone place said I can lease it for like $15 a month add insurance n bill would be around $90 a month n I get a new upgrade no charge each time a new phone comes out.

Low key considering this option.

So the 6 plus is coming out this month on the 25th? I'm waiting patiently man but I need to upgrade. My current iPhone is acting up.

Should I just buy it for $199 or get this new lease deal? Dude at phone place said I can lease it for like $15 a month add insurance n bill would be around $90 a month n I get a new upgrade no charge each time a new phone comes out.

Low key considering this option.
Who's your service provider?

Anyone switch to T-Mobile from Verizon for unlimited data? Curious what the drawbacks are and if they're worth it
nerd.gif
i was at in n out once and my boy on t mo using a 6 plus had no service. im out here on that single line 2gb life 
laugh.gif
 but i always have service

View media item 1706459
i hate the fact that if i want to upgrade, I've got to pay $42.45 for 20 months ($849) or pay $849 upfront. Instead of what i normally do of paying $450 to upgrade and the phone is mine after 24 months and i'm still paying $85 a month for the OG att unlimited plan. I don't need to upgrade every year. I personally feel like its a rip off, and I'm still trying to figure out how the new way is better!

i hate the fact that if i want to upgrade, I've got to pay $42.45 for 20 months ($849) or pay $849 upfront. Instead of what i normally do of paying $450 to upgrade and the phone is mine after 24 months and i'm still paying $85 a month for the OG att unlimited plan. I don't need to upgrade every year. I personally feel like its a rip off, and I'm still trying to figure out how the new way is better!
It's not any better, and that's why I am sticking to my 2 year contract. The phone carriers were taking a big hit selling subsidized phones, so the offer these new leasing options to entice you on a $0 annual upgrade. After you pay a percentage of the phone, you turn it in back to the provider and they turn around and sell resell it and don't suffer as big of a loss on the bottom line as a contract. I spoke to Sprint about my upgrade and the sales rep was trying to get me to going that BS "Iphone Forever plans" with the $15 surcharge a month. Her reasoning was that I pay for my iphone through my plan anyways, and once it's paid off my rate plan will go down. I've had an upgrade since August and my plan has not gone down one cent, and will be the same once I upgrade. At the end of the day, as nice as a leasing package seems to some of y'all, the carriers are the ones who benefit from it the most.

The reason why I'd be interested in doing the upgrade program is because I personally don't go into each new iPhone with re-sale intentions. I'm using the phone, by the time I need a new one chances are that current one is going to have issues with it where I can't even sell it for said-desired price.

View media item 1706459

How did you get the monthly rates to appear? Mine shows up as this -

View media item 1706519

Which carrier did you select? I was told by the apple rep via chat that not all providers are forcing the monthly or full price phone thing, AT&T however is.

Verizon for me. The Apple rep I spoke with last night made it seem like all the major carriers are eligible for their program.

Verizon for me. The Apple rep I spoke with last night made it seem like all the major carriers are eligible for their program.

That's cool you still got the option to do a 2 year upgrade come December. Since I've got att, I've got 2 awesome choices, pay $849 or add $42 to my bill for 20 months! LOL. No upgrade for me, this is dumb!

i was at in n out once and my boy on t mo using a 6 plus had no service. im out here on that single line 2gb life 
laugh.gif
 but i always have service
I was hoping I wouldn't hear issues with service
laugh.gif
.  I'm in the same boat as you, think I'll just stick with Verizon then.

View media item 1706459

View media item 1706519
View media item 1706459

View media item 1706519

his is through ATT

i dont think thats the Apple program which is strictly through apple, correct?

those sites offer $250 for a 6+ :rofl:

Seriously. Seen them recommended hella times in here like do you not like money? Post that bad boy on CL & someone will grab it for 500-600 easily within 24 hours. And if you scary throw it on ebay & let them their cut.

Back
Top Bottom