Are whites racially oppressed? A CNN Article.

I didn't believe in affirmative action until I came to college and saw the economic disparity between whites and minorities. It's amazing seeing a large majority of minorities working in dining halls, fast food restaurants, and other odd jobs just to pay for books and basic living expenses while in college. Yes, many of them do receive scholarships or assistance from the school but it doesn't cover everything they need. In stark contrast, the large majority of privileged whites don't have to worry about that in college. Also, when preparing to be admitted in law school, the differences became even more apparent. Many whites have the resources to pay 1000's of dollars for lsat preparation classes and tutors, have family members who went to several law schools (which can sway admittance to schools their family members attended), and know many prominent people that can write letters of recommendation or vouch for them. In contrast, I had lsat prep books, which I struggled to pay for, hounded my professors for letters of recommendation, and volunteered my +@+ off in order to stand out. So do I believe in white privilege? At this point in time, it's hard not to. And for inquiring minds, I'm mixed btw (black and white). 

I didn't believe in affirmative action until I came to college and saw the economic disparity between whites and minorities. It's amazing seeing a large majority of minorities working in dining halls, fast food restaurants, and other odd jobs just to pay for books and basic living expenses while in college. Yes, many of them do receive scholarships or assistance from the school but it doesn't cover everything they need. In stark contrast, the large majority of privileged whites don't have to worry about that in college. Also, when preparing to be admitted in law school, the differences became even more apparent. Many whites have the resources to pay 1000's of dollars for lsat preparation classes and tutors, have family members who went to several law schools (which can sway admittance to schools their family members attended), and know many prominent people that can write letters of recommendation or vouch for them. In contrast, I had lsat prep books, which I struggled to pay for, hounded my professors for letters of recommendation, and volunteered my +@+ off in order to stand out. So do I believe in white privilege? At this point in time, it's hard not to. And for inquiring minds, I'm mixed btw (black and white). 

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

I was flabbergasted when they mentioned 'whiteness studies' coming to be in some colleges. As if whiteness isn't studied enough from K-12. SMFH.

There is a difference between learning about a country that has a predominantly white history and "whiteness studies." Yes, there might be a lack of education on African-Americans, but its not like they made the U.S. History up and made everyone white. The reality is, most of the people were white....U.S. History and "Whiteness Studies" are not even close to being the same thing.

As far as what the main point of the article, I am not going to waste my time.
Did you forget that there was an indigenous population before all those white people got here and started their history? To say that the reality is that the majority of people were white is just false.

I was flabbergasted when they mentioned 'whiteness studies' coming to be in some colleges. As if whiteness isn't studied enough from K-12. SMFH.

There is a difference between learning about a country that has a predominantly white history and "whiteness studies." Yes, there might be a lack of education on African-Americans, but its not like they made the U.S. History up and made everyone white. The reality is, most of the people were white....U.S. History and "Whiteness Studies" are not even close to being the same thing.

Did you forget that there was an indigenous population before all those white people got here and started their history? To say that the reality is that the majority of people were white is just false.

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

2w7esur.jpg

nerd.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
iswydt

Originally Posted by airbornho

roll.gif
I'm sorry, but I can't give a damn. They're mad because they're not on top anymore by default. I don't see Europeans getting this worked up about it.

Originally Posted by airbornho

roll.gif
I'm sorry, but I can't give a damn. They're mad because they're not on top anymore by default. I don't see Europeans getting this worked up about it.

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

I learned alot about Native Americans and the others who possibly beat Christopher Columbus here, sorry you didn't. In the grand scheme of U.S. history, yes, most of the people were white...

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

I learned alot about Native Americans and the others who possibly beat Christopher Columbus here, sorry you didn't. In the grand scheme of U.S. history, yes, most of the people were white...

Originally Posted by xX LeGod Xx

Originally Posted by TonyReali

White people are just sitting at home in their study like, "it was all good just a week ago."
Why did I laugh at this?
laugh.gif
For some reason I can picture "The Captain" (from the show, How I Met Your Mother.) 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by xX LeGod Xx

Originally Posted by TonyReali

White people are just sitting at home in their study like, "it was all good just a week ago."
Why did I laugh at this?
laugh.gif
For some reason I can picture "The Captain" (from the show, How I Met Your Mother.) 
laugh.gif

It's not even that. History itself is not objective, and being that it's taught exclusively from the lens of our own society (that should tell you enough), it can't be anything BUT whiteness studies. Not to mention the lack of inclusion of not just black, but Asian and Chicano perspectives as well. There weren't but a single chapter in my AP US History class, and we went through about 1 or 2 a week, and its a year long class.

Back
Top Bottom