ART DISCUSSION: What is art? Who/what inspires you?

If ya'll wait until next spring I just might be in the States, but everyone is more then welcome to visit in HUngary or Vienna.
happy.gif

We should do an all NT exhibition!

A highly recommend the movie entitled Picasso and Braque go to the movies, to anyone who's interested in cubism and the connection between the introduction of movies and a different view upon the world.

Claude Monet
Francis Bacon
Michelangelo
Camille Pissarro

I don't study art or consider myself very well versed in it, but I do like the art by the above artists.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by HankMoody

mona-lisa-curse.jpg

"Is the authoritative book on art history now a checkbook?"

"The most important cultural artifact of the contemporary art scene is the marketplace."
/div>

Or is it a judge?
Is It Art? Increasingly, Nowadays, That's a Judicial Decision
http://online.wsj.com/art...4577438242141270380.html

The market has been and will always be THE final arbiter on what's noteworthy in the contemporary art scene. "Art Law" and its practitioners are merely tools to be used for the benefit of the market. Nothing more. It's a sad reality, I feel.

"And where that much money is at stake, lawsuits are sure to follow, meaning ever more—and more complex—rulings about art from the bench."

Great link-up Hank, I enjoyed reading it.

Also, I fail to see what is so paradoxical about the "Theseus' ship" example. By todays contemporary are market standards, that ship is a one-of-kind commodity (disregard the fact that a commodity must be fungible). It selling power is entirely rooted in the fact that it was the ship upon which Theseus sailed. If at some point, caretakers replace every piece of the ship, then we are no longer dealing with an original, merely a facsimile relying too much on symbolism. The symbolism could be a selling point, but I'd be very surprised if it garnered top dollar at auction.

The second part of this supposed paradox is the one I find more interesting. If someone had saved all the worn pieces and "assembled them into a complete boat...," would this be the true ship of Theseus? Well it depends; specifically on what constitutes "true ship." If we are defining "true ship" merely by the presence of the original parts in their assembled native state, then yes, the assembled ship would be the "true ship." If, however, "true ship" is defined by the presence of the original parts in conjunction with having being assembled by the original artist (the paradox is dependent on Theseus being the artist, in whatever capacity), direct involvement and evidence of the artist hand, then the assembled ship could NOT be considered the "true ship" as it was put together without the original artist's hand.

For example posthumous albums provide an excellent topic to think of regarding the ontology of a piece of art.

If anyone is interested in getting their work in a gallery or finding a gallery to represent them in general, feel free to email me.
I'm located in Southern California(L.A.) and the gallery I work at is looking for new young artist to show and/or represent for 2013+.
I thought it would be good to post here and possibly help fellow NT'ers out.

Digging this thread back up.

Took me the better part of two months and then some but I finished my first painting since moving to New York City.

tumblr_m901y3S4Kr1qhrf27o1_1280.jpg

In Space - oil on canvas

I need to spend more time in this thread. Just remembered I was gonna drop some stuff in here earlier in the year.

Also, has anyone been to the Yayoi Kusama exhibition at the Whitney? I haven't had the time to head up there yet but I'm planning to soon. I had heard of her in the past but it seems she really blew up this year. Like, she got her show at the Whitney and then has that major collaboration project with Louis Vuitton. Shame she's bat **** crazy.

anti-art is more valuable to me in this day and age...that old art is responsible for a lot of false ideals and stagnation in the world...art should be progressive...art should break down barriers...and that doesn't mean some stupid nudist..or nihilist crap...

art should carry the living organic narrative of the human story...opposed to the old classical paintings that you often think of when you think of 'art'.

Last edited:
anti-art is more valuable to me in this day and age...that old art is responsible for a lot of false ideals and stagnation in the world...art should be progressive...art should break down barriers...and that doesn't mean some stupid nudist..or nihilist crap...
art should carry the living organic narrative of the human story...opposed to the old classical paintings that you often think of when you think of 'art'.

Scarily enough, I kind of agree with you.

What you're referring to as classical style paintings will hold a place in my heart for it's aesthetics but I do think that contemporary art has a need/responsibility to be progressive.

I think you'd like the works of Mark Bradford. I don't agree with you about almost anything but maybe you'd dig his works. He was a gay black man that made monumental collages amongst other things and he challenged the idea of what it meant to be a black man in America.

tumblr_m9k572zTeM1qhrf27o1_500.jpg

Bouquet IX

by Maurice Scheltens & Liesbeth Abbenes

I'm thinking of trying out a new series of works based on still life... I figure that I should try to tackle something I admire but am weak at.

Damn, where the hell did everyone go? :\

Anyway, let's get this thread going again.

There's a new online resource that seems pretty cool. Art.sy is trying to be the Pandora of art. They have a really beautiful web design and what might be most impressive is their attempt at breaking down and compiling all the different art out there through their art genome project. If you guys would like an invite to the site (it's still in beta), post in this thread and I'll PM one your way.

I also have a couple new paintings completed that I'll share.

tumblr_mau5x64yqC1qhrf27o1_r1_500.jpg

Shrug - oil on canvas

18 x 24 "

tumblr_mb0zvmzu3X1qhrf27o1_r1_500.jpg

Sierpinski no. 1 - acrylic on canvas

30 x 30 "

This last one is a complete departure from my previous works. I have always been interested in geometric/grid art and color field... Piet Mondrian, Robert Diebenkorn, Mark Rothko... Some of you know that I just moved to Brooklyn about three months ago. To do a painting in a completely unfamiliar style in a place I had never been seemed fitting.

Last edited:
Damn, where the hell did everyone go? :\

Anyway, let's get this thread going again.

There's a new online resource that seems pretty cool. Art.sy is trying to be the Pandora of art. They have a really beautiful web design and what might be most impressive is their attempt at breaking down and compiling all the different art out there through their art genome project. If you guys would like an invite to the site (it's still in beta), post in this thread and I'll PM one your way.

I also have a couple new paintings completed that I'll share.

tumblr_mau5x64yqC1qhrf27o1_r1_500.jpg

Shrug - oil on canvas

18 x 24 "

tumblr_mb0zvmzu3X1qhrf27o1_r1_500.jpg

Sierpinski no. 1 - acrylic on canvas

30 x 30 "

This last one is a complete departure from my previous works. I have always been interested in geometric/grid art and color field... Piet Mondrian, Robert Diebenkorn, Mark Rothko... Some of you know that I just moved to Brooklyn about three months ago. To do a painting in a completely unfamiliar style in a place I had never been seemed fitting.

I'm not really into art nor do I claim to understand a lot of the aspects of what goes into design and creation of it (beyond throwing/making bowls and vases on the wheel in ceramics from HS :lol:) My knowledge is limited to the most well-known artists (Dali is probably my favorite) but that second piece there is really interesting to me...I'm not sure if its the geometry or the color scheme and relative sizes/directions or using one shape to form everything but I really dig that painting man, awesome job. :smokin :smokin

I'm not really into art nor do I claim to understand a lot of the aspects of what goes into design and creation of it (beyond throwing/making bowls and vases on the wheel in ceramics from HS :lol:) My knowledge is limited to the most well-known artists (Dali is probably my favorite) but that second piece there is really interesting to me...I'm not sure if its the geometry or the color scheme and relative sizes/directions or using one shape to form everything but I really dig that painting man, awesome job. :smokin :smokin

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed the creation of that. I envision it as part of a series so I'll be creating more soon.

A little more background on that piece... It's titled Sierpinski no. 1 because it's influenced by, and is, the Sierpinski triangle. The Sierpinski triangle is a fractal. What that means is... every equilateral triangle can be broken down into four smaller equilateral triangles which in turn can also each be broken down further into four equilateral triangles until infinity. It's also the tri-force in the Legend of Zelda :lol:

Back
Top Bottom