Asian Culture Discussion Thread

My dad beat my a** over an A minus. He asked me what that smudge behind the A grade was and I told him it's a minus sign. He lost it. I was grounded for two weeks and told I lost my privileges to go out with friends until I brought my grades back up. Zero tolerance in my house growing up. |l
should have taken a red pen and put a | through the minus sign.

BRUH THIS **** HAPPENED TO ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! GOD DAMN AS A KID I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH CRAZY LOCO AZN PARENTS

:rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1301806680001.png

Damn. My parents weren't that extreme, but they did get upset when I got a B in anything related to math/science. They'd yell at me about how low American education standards are, and if I didn't study harder some kid from China or India would take my job in the future :lol: I mean they were right though, so I definitely don't have any resentment

Last edited:

During an argument where I went too far, my mom threw a shoe at me so hard that when I ducked, it cracked the @#$@ out of our window :lol: I've also been attacked with every kitchen utensil in the drawers and every broom/mop within hand's reach

Man, the most I got growing up as a young Filipino-American kid was the good ol' fashioned "walis".............never thought the brushes of an asian-style broom would hurt so bad :emoji_weary:

I've literally never seen it being used for cleaning. It's always been a weapon to use on me :smh:

Pastel colored plastic hangers also gave me PTSD. I still can't look at one without remembering that stinging sensation. There was no way to defend against it, cause even if you tried to grab it or block it with your arms, it would still sting like a @$@$@. At least with a broom I could disarm my mom (which always led to "Oh you're fighting back now???? Wait till your dad gets home") , but with the hanger all I could do was run :lol:

I got into an argument with my mother around the 8th grade. She went and got old chopsticks and proceeded to beat lightly on my head (she had never hit me before) and i started shedding mad tears

It didnt even hurt its just the fact that my mom hit me made me cry

My mom never really hit me, i'm not counting the small little back scratcher/ladle/ruler type hits. My dad gave a few good beat downs during my rebellious years which I definitely deserved.

I went to middle school/high school in Korea, at a time corporal punishment was in practice. Many psycho/abusive teachers gave straight up beat downs, e.g. getting punched, kicked and stomped. The easy teachers were the ones that just had a stick/bat/cane/ and would give you a set amount of hits.

The worst were the ones that would give 1 hit per 1 wrong question on exams...like..I remember the first exam I took..when I could barely read Korean...was a Chinese character test....100 questions...........i got like 10 right :stoneface: :sick::frown: but thankfully after the 25th hit or so the teacher got tired and gave up :lol:

I got a 5 year old son, and other than spanking him for running out into the street once, I won't be hitting him.

The worst were the ones that would give 1 hit per 1 wrong question on exams...like..I remember the first exam I took..when I could barely read Korean...was a Chinese character test....100 questions...........i got like 10 right :stoneface: :sick::frown: but thankfully after the 25th hit or so the teacher got tired and gave up :lol:

yo thats some bull****

Funny coincidence: I teach Sunday class to 8-10yo kids.
Today we talked about what weapons their parents beat them with.

My kids told me: belts, sandals, brooms, chopsticks, wooden back-scratchers, eskrima sticks, etc.
:rofl:

How would you guys explain what “the hood” is to your parents? :nerd: My parents don’t believe there’s such a thing :lol:

To me, the hood is where I go for all the ethic food I crave. I always lived on the nice side of the tracks but all my friends lived in the hood. When I made it into a university (state school), my BFF mom and all my friends cooked me up the best dinner a girl ever had!

I remember for cny we used to get $2 bills cause that was the smallest bill in Canada back in the day
il_570xN.434409258_6q60.jpg

It was phased out.

Back
Top Bottom