Asian Culture Discussion Thread

First_transport_to_Auschwitz_(Tarnów_-_14th_June_1940).png

EARTHQUAKE OF 6.5 MAG. RECORDED IN 99 KM ENE OF HIHIFO TONGA :USGS

TONGA RECORDES 5.6 MAG. EARTHQUAKE :EMSC

1595109170945.png

Couldn't read the article because I kept getting distracted...

Always thought the complaint about Apu was kinda dumb. They gonna act like we don't see a lot of Indians owning and working at convenience stores. Def true about subway stores too.

Imagine Filipinos being mad about characters being nurses. Well my male friends would sometimes not want to tell people they're male nurses.

Always thought the complaint about Apu was kinda dumb. They gonna act like we don't see a lot of Indians owning and working at convenience stores. Def true about subway stores too.

Imagine Filipinos being mad about characters being nurses. Well my male friends would sometimes not want to tell people they're male nurses.

i remember watching that guys video and his complaint boiled down to he was tired of getting made fun of as a child based on Apu’s thick accent. He was a stereotype in a show full of stereotypes, that was the point. Plus he completely ignores that Apu was one of the more interesting and fleshed out background characters with an origin, a family, and several dedicated episodes. He wasn’t just cheap laughs or stereotypical noise for the main cast to react to.

If you can’t tell by my sn I’m pretty invested into this show lol and that doc got me frustrated.

Honestly I'm surprised when I meet a filipino and they tell me they're not in healthcare lol

:rofl:
Not that serious.

it was long overdue. i don't think it was intentional by TJs but it is obtuse and lazy of them to brand their chinese-products as "trader mings." labeling their orange chicken as "trader mings" is a byproduct of white supremacy and a part of a long history of orientalism that has been used to make asian people appear as the perpetual foreigner. makes it easier to exclude Asian people from the idea of what makes America if we seem like we're always immigrants. like wtf? Chinese-American people in the US have names like Robert and Anthony, yet they decide to call their **** "Ming?" it's seemingly innocuous but it's a palatable version of trump calling covid19 the kung-flu or china virus.

i think folks are entitled to speak out or be frustrated by generalizations and stereotypes about their community, particularly if it's impacted them negatively. that's their lived experience or perspective so i wouldn't dismiss it as being dumb.

i remember the simpsons had an episode on Apu's life, where they went back and focused on him coming from Calcutta institute of technology. i think there's brilliance and importance to having Apu's character but he was a sideshow to everything else, not surprising. I could see how his portrayal as the greedy, shrewd, and heartless indian man would bother some.

it was long overdue. i don't think it was intentional by TJs but it is obtuse and lazy of them to brand their chinese-products as "trader mings." labeling their orange chicken as "trader mings" is a byproduct of white supremacy and a part of a long history of orientalism that has been used to make asian people appear as the perpetual foreigner. makes it easier to exclude Asian people from the idea of what makes America if we seem like we're always immigrants. like wtf? Chinese-American people in the US have names like Robert and Anthony, yet they decide to call their **** "Ming?" it's seemingly innocuous but it's a palatable version of trump calling covid19 the kung-flu or china virus.

I’ve already stated my disgust with any race baiting in the Virus Thread. I have zero tolerance in dealing with stupidity and idiots trying to be funny cute. Personally just don’t see Trader Joe’s product names rising to a concerned level.

Way to deflect the focus. So he really did say and mean that sentence. Well then Pass the Courvoisier and let me give SpittaRhymes and all nonAsians a few thoughts to ponder:
-I have no problems hearing the term “Wuhan virus/flu” because that’s where the Covid/Corona originated from. In fact when you see/hear Chinese media, one of the terms they use. Comparable to “West Nile” virus.
-I do have a big problem with the term “Chinese virus/flu”. But why people ask since we hear “Spanish flu” and “German measles”. Sure back over 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 , an effing 100 YEARS Ago.
What else were senior citizen white people calling things? Think.
So based on your logic, what are you calling HIV, Aids or Middle East respiratory syndrome?

Get the picture?

And Bill Maher is a moron for not seeing the difference.

Company’s brand is a play on Name. So to highlight their various products from different cultures, they use a specific but relatable actual names. There’s no harm nor foul with that. The products are in demand by various segments of the American population including the very same where products originated.
Would prefer not to trivialize actual Racism with this specific nonissue.

“Trader Tanner’s Orange Chicken” just doesn’t have that marketing appeal.

There more Black, Hispanic, and multi racial people than Asian with the first name Tanner according to Social Security Administration data.

https://www.mynamestats.com/First-Names/T/TA/TANNER/index.html

Names are a very Private and Personal matter. Why and How anyone would care or judge other people’s Name is beyond me. And no, I do not have an English first name.

So what is your Name, ethnic/racial background and family history?
Sure we can give you some feedback.

i think folks are entitled to speak out or be frustrated by generalizations and stereotypes about their community, particularly if it's impacted them negatively. that's their lived experience or perspective so i wouldn't dismiss it as being dumb.

i remember the simpsons had an episode on Apu's life, where they went back and focused on him coming from Calcutta institute of technology. i think there's brilliance and importance to having Apu's character but he was a sideshow to everything else, not surprising. I could see how his portrayal as the greedy, shrewd, and heartless indian man would bother some.

Russell Peters actually does a fair minded thoughtful critique of the Apu documentary in the interview vid. But your last couple points are an interesting take on the character itself:
-Everyone is a sideshow to the main Simpsons family. Fact that they would dedicate an episode that gives a familiar background story shows consideration recognizing fan love of character. Who doesn’t recognize that first generation immigrant story of struggle? Maybe ABAsians should show better understanding of FOBs.
-“Greedy, shrewd and heartless” is not what first comes to mind in describing Apu.

I’ve already stated my disgust with any race baiting in the Virus Thread. I have zero tolerance in dealing with stupidity and idiots trying to be funny cute. Personally just don’t see Trader Joe’s product names rising to a concerned level.

Company’s brand is a play on Name. So to highlight their various products from different cultures, they use a specific but relatable actual names. There’s no harm nor foul with that. The products are in demand by various segments of the American population including the very same where products originated.
Would prefer not to trivialize actual Racism with this specific nonissue.

“Trader Tanner’s Orange Chicken” just doesn’t have that marketing appeal.

that's your prerogative and I respect it. I also don't see how asking trader joes to get rid of the brand "trader ming" trivializes other forms of racism or discrimination. I'm still perplexed by the purpose of trying to make the product relatable via name and labeling when people of all ethnicities and races are shopping at TJs. Moreover, it's offensive to assume that the name "Ming" automatically makes Chinese food more relatable or authentic. What's the difference between Joe and Ming? Can Joe not be Chinese? Again, it's seemingly innocuous but this is the kind of lazy stuff white-owned companies do without thinking about where their actions are derived from.

no one's asking them to call it trader tanners... why not just call that it "trader joes orange chicken" considering everything else in the store is branded the same way?

If the simpsons was a live action show, apu would be a supporting character. Like the coffee shop dude on friends. He gets screen time and has a backstory and shows his personality/unique traits. A true sideshow is someone like bumblebee man.

I do agree with you yes for sure his/their feelings are valid and they are entitled to being offended. but as a huge simpsons fanboiii he didn’t give much of an argument about what makes apu really problematic aside from being an Indian man, having an Indian background and having a thick accent.

In the end he’s a dude running a convenience store in everytown USA living his life with his wife and 8 kids lol. The only thing separating apu from like comic book guy is he’s Indian

As for Trader Joe’s...those names are lame as hell. Trader Ming? Trader Jose? Whoever greenlit that should be fired for allowing that much corniness on their products.

Russell Peters actually does a fair minded thoughtful critique of the Apu documentary in the interview vid. But your last couple points are an interesting take on the character itself:
-Everyone is a sideshow to the main Simpsons family. Fact that they would dedicate an episode that gives a familiar background story shows consideration recognizing fan love of character. Who doesn’t recognize that first generation immigrant story of struggle? Maybe ABAsians should show better understanding of FOBs.
-“Greedy, shrewd and heartless” is not what first comes to mind in describing Apu.

i think there's nuance to any character who's casted in a token role, live action or animated. you could tell that matt groening did his homework when creating Apu and making him the kwik-e-mart convenience store owner. that being said, i think the backlash about Apu's seemingly stereotypical behavior is more a reflection and indictment on how hollywood lacks diversity. Peters talks about how Apu was THE representation of South Asian communities in media, similar to how Kahn from King of the Hill represented Lao folks. If there were more South Asian characters in other shows and movies in the 90s and 2000s that played a variety of roles to balance out Apu, i doubt there's an outcry about his character in the simpsons.

i loved the show. used to spend hours in AOL chatrooms about simpsons trivia back in the late 90s :lol: my dad banned me from watching it as a kid because he felt that Bart's character taught kids how to be disrespectful to parents, yet i still snuck around to watch it and got my *** beat doing so. and while i love the show, as an adult i can see the criticisms its received as warranted.

Back
Top Bottom