Asian Culture Discussion Thread

30a.gif

“Temper tantrum”.
SF’s DA is one of those new breeds that confuses himself as Defense Attorney not District Attorney. Same like LA and few other cities. Go research the stories of how they’re failing victims and their families, even causing backlash from Assistants and other District Attorneys. Disgrace.

“Watson was seen on video returning to a BMW, retrieving a phone, walking back to Ratanapakdee and appeared to take photos of his body. He is then seen returning to the vehicle and gets inside.”

What I don't get is where was all this media coverage over the past year? Why are news stations suddenly so invested in this trend? I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be addressing it but it's almost like too little, too late. If we're looking at just pandemic related Anti-Asian violence, we've seen the numbers: "2,800 first-hand reports of attacks and abuse against Asian-Americans in 47 states and the District of Columbia during the 2020 pandemic." It's not like those 2,800 just happened over the course of January and February 2021.

A lot of this was fueled by Trump's anti-Asian xenophobia. Calling it the China Virus just perpetuated this notion that Chinese folks, and by extension, any communities that could be confused as Chinese, were the cause of this global outbreak. He called it the China Virus as if Chinese people aren't American and if our communities were attacked, it would be of no harm and consequence to "Americans." We saw the immediate fallout: Asian people being attacked, burned, and stabbed in public. But rarely did I see Dion Lim connect the dots back to "China Virus." It's been easy for local news to show the faces of Black suspects, Daniel Dae Kim and other asian celebs put out a bounty on the perpetrator from Oakland (who rightfully needs to be held responsible), but where was this same energy when it came to holding Trump accountable for the hate and bigotry he incited against Asian communities?

To whatscomplex whatscomplex 's point, which I strongly agree with, this country is fascinated with stoking conflict with Asian countries. In the past 80 years, its gone to war with Japan, Korea, Vietnam and continues to antagonize China. The only difference is we're so used to seeing those wars waged on a different border.

Also, I just saw "Asian Lives Matter" posted earlier in this thread and I have to respectfully disagree. Please don't try to make that a thing. Absolutely, the lives of Asian people matter, but we cannot appropriate and steal a phrase by and for the Black community to protect our community. Don't dilute BLM for the purposes of saying "hey, we exist, too!" I've seen "Stop AAPI Hate," which is very clear and to the point. It's not the best, but for now, I'll rock with that.

What I don't get is where was all this media coverage over the past year? Why are news stations suddenly so invested in this trend? I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be addressing it but it's almost like too little, too late. If we're looking at just pandemic related Anti-Asian violence, we've seen the numbers: "2,800 first-hand reports of attacks and abuse against Asian-Americans in 47 states and the District of Columbia during the 2020 pandemic." It's not like those 2,800 just happened over the course of January and February 2021.

A lot of this was fueled by Trump's anti-Asian xenophobia. Calling it the China Virus just perpetuated this notion that Chinese folks, and by extension, any communities that could be confused as Chinese, were the cause of this global outbreak. He called it the China Virus as if Chinese people aren't American and if our communities were attacked, it would be of no harm and consequence to "Americans." We saw the immediate fallout: Asian people being attacked, burned, and stabbed in public. But rarely did I see Dion Lim connect the dots back to "China Virus." It's been easy for local news to show the faces of Black suspects, Daniel Dae Kim and other asian celebs put out a bounty on the perpetrator from Oakland (who rightfully needs to be held responsible), but where was this same energy when it came to holding Trump accountable for the hate and bigotry he incited against Asian communities?

To whatscomplex whatscomplex 's point, which I strongly agree with, this country is fascinated with stoking conflict with Asian countries. In the past 80 years, its gone to war with Japan, Korea, Vietnam and continues to antagonize China. The only difference is we're so used to seeing those wars waged on a different border.

Also, I just saw "Asian Lives Matter" posted earlier in this thread and I have to respectfully disagree. Please don't try to make that a thing. Absolutely, the lives of Asian people matter, but we cannot appropriate and steal a phrase by and for the Black community to protect our community. Don't dilute BLM for the purposes of saying "hey, we exist, too!" I've seen "Stop AAPI Hate," which is very clear and to the point. It's not the best, but for now, I'll rock with that.

Traditional media finally picking up coverage cause social media sources bringing needed attention. They’re slow, outdated and been useless. People are concerned and angry. Props to the younger generation having the cojones to speak out. Nobody is going to give a rats until we care.

Taking issue with that “war with Japan, Korea, Vietnam” and “antagonize China” line. Never forget the viciousness of their Totalitarian regimes. Unforgivable their Imperialist and Communist crimes.

Don’t care what catchphrase people are using.
Focus on the Asian victims. Not a Right/Left, Rep/Dem, Red/Blue issue. Shouldn’t be difficult.

Pack of Clowns.
Wrong move for her to confront.

Followup:
Three Stooges identified.
:emoji_rotating_light:

This is good energy. More of this please!

People’s creativity never ceases to amaze me. I know for a fact that someone can come up with a name for a prominent Asian empowerment/rights organization that doesn’t directly sound like distain for the name of an organization that already exists.

Blue Lives Matter kind of exists beyond the bumper stickers we see on the cars of people without a single clue on earth, but anyone with a brain knows that that’s less about police rights and more to antagonize BLM. Don’t follow that idiotic and simplistic path.

Asian lives are important, they matter. Violence against Asians needs to stop.

Seemingly random violence towards Asians can be directly traced back to Donald Trump’s presidency and his insistence on calling the Coronavirus the “China Virus”, “Kung-flu” etc. That is to say, he made it socially acceptable to attack on the basis of race. He encouraged it. It was his rallying cry over the course of the last year.

I feel like that’s a good place to direct a lot of the fear and anger- towards the idea that Trump just gave a hour and a half long speach for CPAC teasing that he would run again in 2024. Getting upset with Black people or BLM solves what?

I’m gonna keep saying it- Asians can empower eachother without tearing African Americans down and Vice versa.

Last edited:
Just saw that other NT thread about black people being blamed for Asian American racism that got locked. I'll just say this. Pitting minorities against each other has been the playbook by racist folk in power for centuries. "Whiteness" was created to unite Irish, Italians, Germans etc against people of color as those in power needed people to remain oppressed. Minority groups turning on each other is exactly what them racist folk want. Don't play into this.

The only way out of this is solidarity. Just like you wouldn't want a bad actor in your community to represent the community as a whole, don't look at what the media shows you and paint black people as the culprits. When it comes down to it, minorities in America are more similar than different.

Nawzlew Nawzlew Kinfolk Kinfolk KHUFU KHUFU DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican

Just saw that other NT thread about black people being blamed for Asian American racism that got locked. I'll just say this. Pitting minorities against each other has been the playbook by racist folk in power for centuries. "Whiteness" was created to unite Irish, Italians, Germans etc against people of color as those in power needed people to remain oppressed. Minority groups turning on each other is exactly what them racist folk want. Don't play into this.

The only way out of this is solidarity. Just like you wouldn't want a bad actor in your community to represent the community as a whole, don't look at what the media shows you and paint black people as the culprits. When it comes down to it, minorities in America are more similar than different.

Follow the money, and you'll find the real answers.

With all these attacks on Asians and lack of widespread outrage/consequences, it reminds me of why my mom always told me that “we’ll never be seen as one of them” when it came to being American. it’s pretty insulting that Asians have been in the US for hundreds of years now, yet they seem to be painted as outsiders who don’t fit in or belong here. Let’s just ignore how early Chinese, Filipino, Indian, etc immigrants were both socially and physically exiled from mixing with American (white) society and then wonder why they keep quiet in their own enclaves...

It is also frustrating to be expected to answer for the white washed sellouts that the vast majority of the community does not accept. Politicians like Elaine Chao, Nikki Haley, etc are the worst of the worst of us, and absolutely zero Asians I know look up to them in any way. However I’ve seen some posts on NT using people like them as examples to paint all Asians who hate their own heritage and want to be white. Ok. As someone who’s lived in Asia and Asian American communities my entire life, that couldn’t be farther from the truth (as a whole; not saying people like that don’t exist). For every one sellout there’s nine Asians who don’t want anything to do with white people.

One thing that is not cool to me thoug is the singling out of black people that I’ve noticed creeping into this thread and social media. People of all races have been attacking Asians lately, and from what I’ve seen recently and throughout my life, 99% of the racist attacks are from white people. Posting only articles and mugshots of black people to blame this solely on them is not just racist but also cowardly.

I’m not East Asian but I’ve seen and been through this before. When the anti-Muslim/Middle Eastern mentality began after 9/11, I had to deal with people of all colors throwing rocks at me and my friends, vandalizing our property, constantly being called terrorist, etc for YEARS despite not only having nothing to do with any of this but also not even being Middle Eastern. Both Middle Eastern people and South Asians were/have been being beaten and murdered for their appearance, and the vast majority of these offenses were commited by racist white people. Please stop singling out black people when it’s an American society problem that’s being promoted by white racists with agendas.

Taking issue with that “war with Japan, Korea, Vietnam” and “antagonize China” line. Never forget the viciousness of their Totalitarian regimes. Unforgivable their Imperialist and Communist crimes.

I don't claim to know the depth and extent to which those countries' governments have been repressive to its people, but responding to Totalitarian regimes with war has done exactly what? The US dropped atomic bombs over Japan and killed close to a quarter million people and made the land of Hiroshima virtually uninhabitable for generations. 30 years later, this country was dropping napalm and agent orange over Vietnamese civilians.

I don't think those alternatives are better than living under a totalitarian regime

moe200069 moe200069

Khmer Rouge patrons were the Chinese Communists. Believe me though, when saying understand a little about seeing, reading, hearing about your family homeland getting fragged by war. Said before, my Family is Chinese to Taiwan after Mainland Civil War.
And just to follow Splint’s point, overthrowing Colonialism (French) but then forced cooperation with Imperialism (Japanese) are both lose/lose.

If any that made decent sense.
Visit back every once in a while, people can’t pm you.
🤝

💯💯💯

Well said!!!

We need SOLIDARITY!!!!

Just like in the 1960's when The Black Panther Party's Chairman Fred Hampton called for the Rainbow Coalition.

Damned if I'm gonna stand by and allow the Rich and Powerful to keep us divided in order to further their own agenda.

Also,

I don't agree with everything this man said but ABC Nightline clearly aint ****...

The way that thread was locked to shut up the discourse Meth did not like was weird.
Straight agreed with the thread then closed it.

The way that thread was locked to shut up the discourse Meth did not like was weird.
Straight agreed with the thread then closed it.

he thought it was going to get out of hand, which it definitely had the potential to.

I think locking the thread was a little premature but I also think most were able to get their points across.

I was a little disappointed that the people that I tagged in that thread didn’t get a chance to respond to anything though...

Followup:
Seriously, this is the official response?!?!
“Serve and Protect” mean anything anymore?!?!
Outrageous. Victims be harmed and dead waiting for response.

Rank and File objected to the Stupidity.
Top Brass forget and become Politicians.

:angry:

Followup:
Common sense prevails.
Top Brass Politicians.

moe200069 moe200069 you must not have stories of relatives that went through hell under the Japanese empire. No sympathy from me. That’s how evil they were.

You're right, I truly don't. I'm not a part of the Japanese/Japanese American and my geopoltical awareness is trash. Gonna need to do some of my own research on the japanese empire you're referring to. Any time periods in particular I should look up?

Back
Top Bottom