Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Some Khmer news popped up.
Unfortunately not good.
moe200069 moe200069

appreciate the tag bro. definitely sucks. hopefully a few things happen: insurance comes through and provides money to help them rebuild and reopen the space and two, they're able to maintain their work with community through LBKK. Gonna reach out to one of my boys who lives in LB and see if he has any information on this.

What I don't get is where was all this media coverage over the past year? Why are news stations suddenly so invested in this trend? I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be addressing it but it's almost like too little, too late. If we're looking at just pandemic related Anti-Asian violence, we've seen the numbers: "2,800 first-hand reports of attacks and abuse against Asian-Americans in 47 states and the District of Columbia during the 2020 pandemic." It's not like those 2,800 just happened over the course of January and February 2021.

A lot of this was fueled by Trump's anti-Asian xenophobia. Calling it the China Virus just perpetuated this notion that Chinese folks, and by extension, any communities that could be confused as Chinese, were the cause of this global outbreak. He called it the China Virus as if Chinese people aren't American and if our communities were attacked, it would be of no harm and consequence to "Americans." We saw the immediate fallout: Asian people being attacked, burned, and stabbed in public. But rarely did I see Dion Lim connect the dots back to "China Virus." It's been easy for local news to show the faces of Black suspects, Daniel Dae Kim and other asian celebs put out a bounty on the perpetrator from Oakland (who rightfully needs to be held responsible), but where was this same energy when it came to holding Trump accountable for the hate and bigotry he incited against Asian communities?

To whatscomplex whatscomplex 's point, which I strongly agree with, this country is fascinated with stoking conflict with Asian countries. In the past 80 years, its gone to war with Japan, Korea, Vietnam and continues to antagonize China. The only difference is we're so used to seeing those wars waged on a different border.

Also, I just saw "Asian Lives Matter" posted earlier in this thread and I have to respectfully disagree. Please don't try to make that a thing. Absolutely, the lives of Asian people matter, but we cannot appropriate and steal a phrase by and for the Black community to protect our community. Don't dilute BLM for the purposes of saying "hey, we exist, too!" I've seen "Stop AAPI Hate," which is very clear and to the point. It's not the best, but for now, I'll rock with that.

To me, it's more about how Asian-American identity is always in limbo. I don't support the CCP, WWII imperialist Japan, nor the imperialism of America. Those governments have done horrific things to Asian people. The interesting thing about Asian-American identity though is your people can be oppressed by the CCP or Japan and then you can be in America and receive discrimination for sharing the same race as them even though your people have been victimized more than anyone by those governments. Which is like a strange double layer of ****ery.

It's easy to anticipate then that some type of conflict will occur and through that significant blowback will occur to Asian-Americans. That's really the only scope I'm looking at. American views on Asian-American identity. Things like interment camps felt unrealistic to happen again when I learned about them in school. But as an adult, I can see how they're only an arms-length away if the fire is stoked in a certain way or if something as significant as a war were to happen, I would expect the worse given some people's thoughts I've read. I've seen a number of people, even right now before any type of strong conflict, justify or handwave away hatecrimes to Asian-Americans under these type of arguments. And they wholeheartedly feel they are not only right, but strangely morally right when they say "Asian people deserve it" which is what is most concerning to me. That type of justification of harming Asian-American people indiscriminately happened way more and way quicker than I thought.

Last edited:
Yup a lot of ppl are moving to apple music.

Spotify knew what they were doing when they announced it's coming to Korea.

Melon, which is the #1 music streaming service in Korea and has a monopoly there, is owned my Kakako... Who owns the license to most kpop songs. Not sure why Spotify would challenge them by trying to take the Korean market.

Solidarity!

Fyi: Spike Lee’s Malcolm X biographical movie is up on Hulu this March. Still a powerful watch. Good adaptation but strongly encourage everyone to also read actual Autobiography as told to Alex Haley. Remember doing so way way back in the day during high school. Youtube just makes the search easier now to see and hear actual video footage direct.

To me, it's more about how Asian-American identity is always in limbo. I don't support the CCP, WWII imperialist Japan, nor the imperialism of America. Those governments have done horrific things to Asian people. The interesting thing about Asian-American identity though is your people can be oppressed by the CCP or Japan and then you can be in America and receive discrimination for sharing the same race as them even though your people have been victimized more than anyone by those governments. Which is like a strange double layer of ****ery.

It's easy to anticipate then that some type of conflict will occur and through that significant blowback will occur to Asian-Americans. That's really the only scope I'm looking at. American views on Asian-American identity. Things like interment camps felt unrealistic to happen again when I learned about them in school. But as an adult, I can see how they're only an arms-length away if the fire is stoked in a certain way or if something as significant as a war were to happen, I would expect the worse given some people's thoughts I've read. I've seen a number of people, even right now before any type of strong conflict, justify or handwave away hatecrimes to Asian-Americans under these type of arguments. And they wholeheartedly feel they are not only right, but strangely morally right when they say "Asian people deserve it" which is what is most concerning to me. That type of justification of harming Asian-American people indiscriminately happened way more and way quicker than I thought.
Just wait till this cold war with China hits the fan. Those internment camps will hit reaaaaaal close to home for every Asian American.

🤦‍♂️

Thank goodness these victims are alive.

NYC subway violence unreal.
Jackhole mayor is useless.
Affects everyone there.

As if the Pacific Northwest isn’t already dealing with lawlessness, this attack is exceptionally vicious. The hell her dude didn’t fight back more.

How many videos before we need a legitimate protest? Not the small ones in a local neighborhood where a few hundred show up (nearly only Asians). We need some protest that's on the national level where people from all walks of life join in.

This is the sad truth about race in America, it's very much a binary issue. We still aren't making enough noise and it's like people think reposting a hashtag is enough for the Asian community.

I’m really worried for my girlfriend as she’s of East Asian descent. been training her in Muay Thai to defend herself but there’s only so much you can do with these cowards sucker punching and using weapons.

Right now I’m with her almost 24/7 but I don’t know how to keep her safe in the long run when she has to return to normal daily life. She went out to a convenience store for a few minutes and texted me feeling scared due to a bunch of drunk white dudes walking around nearby. It’s gotten to the point that she doesn’t answer her parents’ phone calls outside of our apartment anymore because she’s afraid of some racist hearing an Asian language and getting mad.

thankfully there haven’t been as many violent attacks here in Chicago due to Asians being almost nonexistent, but you never know...

Make sure to fry the noodles; it makes a big difference when you prepare it.My girlfriend is from Indonesia and she damn near smacked me for making it the lazy Westerner way. said it was disrespectful to Indonesian cuisine :lol:

I had sworn off instant noodles for damn near a decade (too much of it in college) until I first had a packet of Mi Goreng.

you should check out Indomie Chitato Mi Goreng chips too :pimp: really hard to find though; only one H Mart 30 mins away from me has it

Last edited:
how does one conclude to this based of off weapon of choice? srs interested

Serious answer- that video didn’t look personal to you?

Premeditated, weapon choice, discussion before the attack... like come on.

Serious answer- that video didn’t look personal to you?

Premeditated, weapon choice, discussion before the attack... like come on.
Sorry. I’m not alluding to the video content but just more so the idea of weapon choice. I’ve seen it discussed in many cases. I wanted to get your perspective on it bc of the quote I replied to.

Back
Top Bottom