Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I looked up that person's Twitter. Not even Asian; the person is writing in German and is one of those weird dudes that are obsessed with K Pop. The entire account seems to be a troll account especially with the Israel flag on top of it

This leads to the bigger discussion of “is this a global problem or is this an American problem”

that can be debated.

It is a global problem. Just because the brunt of the protests are taking place here doesn't mean that racism against black people doesn't happen worldwide. Have we not seen black people being mistreated in China just recently? Being used as scapegoats for the spread of the virus? Racist Asians bringing their racist mentality towards black people to the US and then refusing to change?

How about Italy , where black people get bananas and racial slurs thrown at them during sports games? Being brutally attacked in the streets because they're somehow the downfall of the Italian economy? England, where they've also been beaten and murdered by police? Netherlands, where black people are openly humiliated through blackface via Zwarte Pete? I mean you can literally include all of Europe in this convo after what they've done through colonialism and still do to this day.

It's 2020 and we live in a global society. Saying "It's not my problem" is just a way of washing your hands from any responsibility, and equating people caring about human rights to Americans invading overseas countries is just lazy logic

This leads to the bigger discussion of “is this a global problem or is this an American problem”

that can be debated.

anti-Blackness and variations of colorism plague the globe, it's definitely not unique to the U.S. my brother-in-law is from France and he minces no words about the inequality between French citizens/nationals who are of African descent versus those who are of European descent.

Definitely a global problem

For sure.

It's just that america has the most coverage when it comes to police brutality against blacks

Have definitely heard of cases in uk and in france, for example. It's just no one was paying attention.

Is this you dogg moe200069 moe200069 ?

1591125789118.png

Troll coming at you with the "drive-by threats" lol
We don’t play that **** @wedontplaythat1 :rofl:

My man :pimp:

i'm working from home so.... I GOT TIME TODAY

if she pulls up, imma keep it G real

Her/HIs arrogance in not caring is what offended me, and the tone in the way that "it affected THEIR LIVELYHOOD" that something was shutdown because this specific subreddit wanted to put light into something that affected a large number amount of people.

As for your 2nd question, scroll up in the last few posts of this thread to see today's discussion in how Asians relate to the Police Brutality Protests and you'll see why I have this "negative bias" towards "most Asian ethnicities" make a comment about how a national conversation such as these protests feel it inconveniences them.

she doesnt care, so she might as well say it in any way. and you can undestand tone through text on a phone or screen? yes a large number of people, but america has like what 300-400m? in the global scale its just one country. youre not gona make every person in the world care about an issue not affecting their lives directly.

asian ethnicities that are american right? and so how does that affect asians in asia? if they have relatives who live in the states they might be concerend for their safety, but i still dont get how you would get a negative bias towards asians.

but to what extent is it a global problem and does it vary nation by nation in terms of priority?

In the US it’s a very big problem because of systemic racism and the history of African Americans in this country. It may be a problem in other nations worldwide but rather a small problem to them. I don’t see police killing black people in Korea or having a history of slaves.

What may be a big problem to some, may not be a big problem to other nations.

I mean, the US made a comedy movie about North Korea and we laughing while the people in N Korea are suffering.

Every nation has their own set of problems and they prioritize them depending on what it is.

I’m just opening up conversation. Obviously as an Asian American the racism against blacks is a huge problem for me. But other people living in other nations might not feel the same way.

We can’t assume that just because it’s affects us greatly here in the US, it affects others the same across the world.

she doesnt care, so she might as well say it in any way. and you can undestand tone through text on a phone or screen? yes a large number of people, but america has like what 300-400m? in the global scale its just one country. youre not gona make every person in the world care about an issue not affecting their lives directly.

asian ethnicities that are american right? and so how does that affect asians in asia? if they have relatives who live in the states they might be concerend for their safety, but i still dont get how you would get a negative bias towards asians.

Your obsession over how you're perceived over the actual issue is extremely suspicious. This is why I stopped responding to your PMs earlier when you brought up this nonsense with me :stoneface:

what do you mean obsession? you can perceive me however you want. im just trying to understand. if you think im a bad person go ahead.

what do you mean obsession? you can perceive me however you want. im just trying to understand. if you think im a bad person go ahead.

First of all, you PMd me with "Do you think Asians are racist" and when I gave you a few examples (thinking you were having a genuine discussion), you sent me a paragraph rant about "the Filipinos" and Americans and why none of this stuff matters to you. Trying to hide it with "Just trying to understand" is not going to work with me :smile:

whether or not systemic racism impacts that person(diddi sammler) is not relevant to what the k-pop twitter's statement was. their intent is to show solidarity and support to the BLM movement, yet this person is so entitled and tone deaf that they're outraged they won't get k-pop music and updates for a day.

i definitely understand that the treatment of Black communities in the US is not going to be a salient issue for a large population of people across the globe, but i still commend that twitter handle for taking a stance.

yes thats why i pm'd you cus i didnt want to offend anyone. i believed you could have helped me understand. i wanted to ask another nter but i felt like you could have explained it to me better because you have been to places i have been. i trusted you.

its ok. if you think that its not worth it. then its fine.

whether or not systemic racism impacts that person(diddi sammler) is not relevant to what the k-pop twitter's statement was. their intent is to show solidarity and support to the BLM movement, yet this person is so entitled and tone deaf that they're outraged they won't get k-pop music and updates for a day.
Word.

For a day.

We're talking about one day.

The entitlement of some people lmao.

I don't see how this self-centeredness is any different than ppl who won't wear masks to protect other people because the masks make them uncomfortable.

i definitely understand that the treatment of Black communities in the US is not going to be a salient issue for a large population of people across the globe, but i still commend that twitter handle for taking a stance.

yes i agree, i think reddit, while being accessed in the whole world is still a largely american userbase website. that person could have offended other people. and she probably did.

you guys all live in america, and you live in that reality. i have my own reality, and thats why im asking these questions.

Gang war between BTS?! Who got beef?

Also, isn't S. Korea super conservative? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't lack empathy towards social injustices or hell anything related to black people.

I'm just trying to imagine if someone came up to me with the treatment of Uyghurs in China, Rohingya in Burma, citizens of Hong Kong, etc., and I responded to them "That's your problem, why should I care" :sick: A lot of times things just get brushed under the rug until there's international pressure and condemnation. Black people and other minorities were mistreated for centuries until people all over the world started taking notice and expressing outrage over atrocities committed against them.

"When King was assassinated in Memphis, on April 4, 1968, many citizens across the world experienced that loss just as powerfully as did African Americans. On every continent, throngs of people gathered in public squares and places of worship to honor Martin Luther King. At St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in Nairobi, Tom Mboya, Kenya’s minister of planning, read King’s final speech to an overflow crowd that included members of parliament. A visiting church worker from Indianapolis taught the audience the words to “We Shall Overcome.” The Pope hailed King during Palm Sunday Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica. In Paris, hundreds gathered at the Cirque d’Hiver, including labor leaders, intellectuals and heroes of the French resistance during World War II. They mixed homages to King with denunciations of the United States, so enraged were they by America’s racial injustice at home as well as its waging of the Vietnam War.

In London, the House of Commons passed a motion expressing outrage at King’s assassination. Soon the Labour government introduced a piece of anti-discrimination legislation known as the Race Relations Act. Thousands of Britons gathered on the steps of St. Paul’s Cathedral, where King had spoken in 1964, and spilled out onto the street to hear tributes to King. Speakers reflected on King’s life and performers led the crowds in song. The Times of London called King’s death a great loss “to a world that had come to love and respect him.”

There are people all over the world right now who can't believe what's going on here now. It's important that everyone see what's going on here.

Also, isn't S. Korea super conservative? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't lack empathy towards social injustices or hell anything related to black people.

South Korean "idols" have actually been giving a lot of support right now to the protests, interestingly enough.

I follow a handful of people living in S Korea. Was surprised by the awareness of what's going on in America.

I'm just trying to imagine if someone came up to me with the treatment of Uyghurs in China, Rohingya in Burma, citizens of Hong Kong, etc., and I responded to them "That's your problem, why should I care" :sick: A lot of times things just get brushed under the rug until there's international pressure and condemnation. Black people and other minorities were mistreated for centuries until people all over the world started taking notice and expressing outrage over atrocities committed against them.

"When King was assassinated in Memphis, on April 4, 1968, many citizens across the world experienced that loss just as powerfully as did African Americans. On every continent, throngs of people gathered in public squares and places of worship to honor Martin Luther King. At St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in Nairobi, Tom Mboya, Kenya’s minister of planning, read King’s final speech to an overflow crowd that included members of parliament. A visiting church worker from Indianapolis taught the audience the words to “We Shall Overcome.” The Pope hailed King during Palm Sunday Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica. In Paris, hundreds gathered at the Cirque d’Hiver, including labor leaders, intellectuals and heroes of the French resistance during World War II. They mixed homages to King with denunciations of the United States, so enraged were they by America’s racial injustice at home as well as its waging of the Vietnam War.

In London, the House of Commons passed a motion expressing outrage at King’s assassination. Soon the Labour government introduced a piece of anti-discrimination legislation known as the Race Relations Act. Thousands of Britons gathered on the steps of St. Paul’s Cathedral, where King had spoken in 1964, and spilled out onto the street to hear tributes to King. Speakers reflected on King’s life and performers led the crowds in song. The Times of London called King’s death a great loss “to a world that had come to love and respect him.”

There are people all over the world right now who can't believe what's going on here now. It's important that everyone see what's going on here.
The 'that's your problem, why should I care' attitude makes me so mad..

I get that not everyone's going to care about the same issue, but at least have the decency to shut up about it.

in 2020, people all over the world LOVE hip-hop music and fashion that is appropriated from Black communities in the US. but when there's injustice happening to those Black folks, the popular response is "it's across the world, not in my country! how does that impact me?" and it's not just isolated to asian countries.

I follow a handful of people living in S Korea. Was surprised by the awareness of what's going on in America.

As much as I hate a good portion of Twitter, it's become an invaluable tool to show people throughout the world what the media doesn't show. 20 years ago people from overseas would've hit me up and asked me "Why are black people causing destruction?" instead of "what the hell are the police doing there?!?!" like they are now. I've noticed that every article that my friends and relatives are referring to has videos posted on Twitter rather than videos from reporters (who are constantly being attacked and silenced now too :smh: )

Back
Top Bottom