Asian Culture Discussion Thread

R.I.P. OG

19068_2_large.jpg

Living in the us, this never dawned upon me as its such a common occurrence. What are you guys thoughts on Buddha statues being used as ornaments? Ive seen them being placed anywhere and everywhere from bathrooms to ponds to kitchen counters. Even worse is when its just the head, befuddles me how certain people think a severed head of a religious figure is ok to display to show their trendiness. Imagine how many people would lose their **** if the head of jesus was displayed on a floating shelf in the bathroom as a decor.

When visiting thailand, one of the first things i saw at the airport was a psa on how a severed buddhas head was highly frowned upon on, and tattoos were just as taboo.

Where you seeing these buddha heads? i honestly never really see them out and about like you do.

I’ve never seen just the head. I’ve only ever seen full bodied statues, usually by the entrance of homes. I never thought much about it. But I’d find it very odd if I saw it on a Christmas tree of all places.

Living in the us, this never dawned upon me as its such a common occurrence. What are you guys thoughts on Buddha statues being used as ornaments? Ive seen them being placed anywhere and everywhere from bathrooms to ponds to kitchen counters. Even worse is when its just the head, befuddles me how certain people think a severed head of a religious figure is ok to display to show their trendiness. Imagine how many people would lose their **** if the head of jesus was displayed on a floating shelf in the bathroom as a decor.

When visiting thailand, one of the first things i saw at the airport was a psa on how a severed buddhas head was highly frowned upon on, and tattoos were just as taboo.

Not particularly religious in any overly devout way. Baptized, confirmed, commune Lutheran in younger days and Chinese (from Taiwan) have a mix of various traditions. We all grew up Western so have seen religion commercialized and downplayed.
It’s how they run things overseas.
Nothing can do but respect and not violate their cultural norms. Although do find bit odd the tattoo thing cause people including their king (prob temp tats) have been shown with them.
Excuse to post funny clips:

i feel your question bruh. it's a delicate line between respecting and honoring someone's culture and then flat out appropriating and commercializing culture. like you alluded to, rarely do I see someone who's not christian/catholic have any jesus representations as decorations. even in college when my then gf tried to give me a small jesus piece to add to necklace, i couldn't do it. just seems wrong.

I grew up in a household where you always placed your buddha statues above the head at the highest point possible, usually on your fam's altar if you have one. and at the very least, never on the ground. but still, on my runs around different neighborhoods in Oakland, I'll see a few (emphasis on a "few") homes with their buddha statues on the ground. always irked me.

yeah , using buddha heads for decoration props is ultra cringe. I think the interior designers who do that would face backlash if this was brought to light.

BUt yeah , to be honest, I havent seen it in real life. Wasn't there an issue with some buddhist temples getting vandalized a few years back?

Actually it was like two weeks ago lol

sadly things like this dont get much news coverage. Especially since we are part of that model minority group as some people on NT have implied.

Interesting show concept. Not a fan of the usual reality tv trash on these days. But actual story, background seems fascinating and has merit.

The parents’ history is real and deserves respect: War refugees, non English speaking immigrants building generational business and wealth. Poorer than most US to Richer than most US. Inter-family relationships seem familiar and relatable. See how goes.

Interesting show concept. Not a fan of the usual reality tv trash on these days. But actual story, background seems fascinating and has merit.

The parents’ history is real and deserves respect: War refugees, non English speaking immigrants building generational business and wealth. Poorer than most US to Richer than most US. Inter-family relationships seem familiar and relatable. See how goes.

finished it up with my mom and sister couple nights ago since it was real short and as relateable it was being a first gen american with other my parents being vietnamese refugee, the “reality show” aspect of it just gives us (honestly asians as a whole) a bad representation

the internal conflicts and issues that i face with my traditional parents are there but all the other stuff they had to make it TV and draw an audience was pretty bad in my opinion but i get it being a reality show

Back
Top Bottom