Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Seems like you're the one telling me on what type of discussion I should have with my black friends? Maybe that's your mistake

I would not state that it is a mistake to tell someone who isn't of my ancestry, that they need to learn something of my ancestry, before attempting to lecture me on what it means to be Black, and then needing to be able to prove such.

Out of respect for this thread and the culture it represents, I've never commented here until the topic of Black people were brought about.

So, if you want to appear as intelligent as you think that you are? Learn something about the culture that you claim to be in support of.

Quite obviously, you know nothing.

Good explanation of the model minority myth I saw on IG

Thanks for posting this.

SOmething I have mentioned to computersputin computersputin is this myth that Black People are the ones that created this concept.

To me, it seems like he uses this idea as almost a jab at Black Folks. ( Maybe because he has seen a Black Person use the phrase before? Who knows )

But I have always found it amazing that he pretended/presented this as something we made up and established.

But thanks for posting that.

Thanks for posting this.

SOmething I have mentioned to computersputin computersputin is this myth that Black People are the ones that created this concept.

To me, it seems like he uses this idea as almost a jab at Black Folks. ( Maybe because he has seen a Black Person use the phrase before? Who knows )

But I have always found it amazing that he pretended/presented this as something we made up and established.

But thanks for posting that.

for sure. I’m not sure of the specific origins but I’m sure it’s some old white man

in the current context of violence to Asians (from all groups) the creator wanted to single out the “divide and conquer” strategy of turning minority groups against each other like the golden child vs their siblings. We’re in the same war folks, our specific battles might be different but the fight is the same.

I also posted it to highlight how the myth is used to downplay Asian American accomplishments and successes, that it’s all due to assimilation into white American culture and white American society. Doing things the “right way”. IMO this is always overlooked and is heavily bought into by conservative upper class Asians.

I’ve dropped “uncle Tam” a few times in different threads, hopefully it catches on :lol:

I wrote an article on the explosive rise of anti-Asian racism sweeping the country. Here's a read in case anyone is interested.

https://www.unbiasedopinions.net/post/the-explosive-rise-of-anti-asian-racism

1613590086583.png

for sure. I’m not sure of the specific origins but I’m sure it’s some old white man

in the current context of violence to Asians (from all groups) but the creator wanted to single out the “divide and conquer” strategy of turning minority groups against each other like the golden child vs their siblings. We’re in the same war folks, our specific battles might be different but the fight is the same.

I also posted it to highlight how the myth is used to downplay Asian American accomplishments and successes, that it’s all due to assimilation into white American culture and white American society. Doing things the “right way”. IMO this is always overlooked and is heavily bought into by conservative upper class Asians.

I’ve dropped “uncle Tam” a few times in different threads, hopefully it catches on :lol:

Well said.

I won't pretend that we are, "All in this together" because Our battles started from a different place but we ALL are fighting against White Supremacy.

The divide and conquer is real as you said it.

I was trying to remember why your user name was familiar beyond being an ironic Cam’ron reference.

The last two words of your reply reminded me lol.

And now I recall a rather nasty post of yours where if I recall correctly, you tied the use of that term to it being largely used by African Americans to describe Asians. Do better, man. You tend to over simplify and run with it.

Exactly.

It wasn't those from the African Continent that came into Asian lands, then beginning the trope that Asian women were hyper sexual, with the men being docile and weak, feminine.

It wasn't the descendants of African Slaves in this country, that threatened you with deportation if you did not seem grateful to be in this country, regardless of the travails you've faced. Don't complain, be hard working, be an example.

Yeah, do not forget as to whom is the real culprit in all of this.

I wrote an article on the explosive rise of anti-Asian racism sweeping the country. Here's a read in case anyone is interested.

https://www.unbiasedopinions.net/post/the-explosive-rise-of-anti-asian-racism

1613590086583.png

I read it a few days ago but good call bringing it back given the current discussion lol

great point about SE Asians. They get lumped in and marginalized within an already marginalized group. These are the poor recent refugees living in ethnic enclaves trying to catch a break.

It wasn't those from the African Continent that came into Asian lands, then beginning the trope that Asian women were hyper sexual, with the men being docile and weak, feminine.

It wasn't the descendants of African Slaves in this country, that threatened you with deportation if you did not seem grateful to be in this country, regardless of the travails you've faced. Don't complain, be hard working, be an example.

Yeah, do not forget as to whom is the real culprit in all of this.
100%. colonizers wanna divide and conquer. it's a given who runs the system.

Recently I was on the phone with my dad as he and my mom were going to Oakland Chinatown and before I hung up, I said "be careful." Then I paused and really had to ask myself, what does it mean for him to be careful? If he's staying aware and vigilant, what are things he's supposed to look out for? I really had to check myself because I was being hella vague and obtuse. The subtext to that was "look out for people who stick out in Chinatown" and given that the perpetrators of the recent violence against Asian elders have been Black, it's not hard to assume how my dad interpreted my comment of "be careful."

There's a need to keep our communities safe and protected from violence; that's a baseline for all of us. There's real fear of Anti-Asian violence that's been ticking up (my homegirl's mom was mugged while grocery shopping for lunar new year last week in San Jose, my uncle was robbed at gunpoint working at an Oakland donut shop a few months back). The anxiety and fear is absolutely warranted. I also recognize that the safety of our Asian communities isn't tied to more policing or Asian celebrities putting bounties on peoples' heads. The mayor of Oakland has used the events in Oakland Chinatown to reinforce this notion that we aren't safe until we fully fund the police. If her solution is put more police in Chinatown without addressing the social and economic conditions in the neighborhoods surrounding it, then Asian elders aren't safe once they step outside Chinatown.

When computers posted the photo of the Black man without context, I was perplexed so I asked for some clarification. With the conversation in this thread about the rise in violence against the Asian community, when someone clarified I understood why computers felt it was relevant. I also understand the complexities and dangers of projecting an image of a Black man's mugshot given this country's history with Black men.

Last week, some API teachers I work with held space for students to process these events while also considering what it means to take action, protect communities and heal. It was predominantly Asian and Black students in attendance. One of our Black youth said, "I'm here to support the Asian community. It's not right what's happening. I'm also tired of seeing the suspects look like me." The weight of what he said is hella heavy. When computers posted that photo and someone provided context, I immediately had to wrestle with the question of how do we protect Asian folks while making sure we don't antagonize and endanger Black communities?

My bad for the long *** post. I'll say this though: youth are capable of having conversations about race in much more healthier ways than how we've demonstrated on NT.

There is no need to come in here and make an argument for your own personal opinion against another person, if you have an opinion that clearly doesnt pertain to the thread at hand DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican KHUFU KHUFU boywonder boywonder then take that ish to the DM's.

Add something of value, create awareness, and show some love to fellow minorities. These microaggressions come off as how the majority of media cover Asians in general, create a disconnect between other cultures and forget about Asian struggles currently on hand.

From my own perspective, and being educated in public schools in TX, I have never read a single good thing about any Asian(s) in specific. It really is a major issue that stems beyond what is in control of Asians as a whole. I speak with people and when they hear Kamala Harris is Asian they don't even realize India is in Asia.

If you're not white or black in this country you will have to learn about your own culture/race/ethnicity through your own time/research.

The most successful human being on this planet, IMO, is Jonny Kim and how many people are aware of his contributions to this country as an American....

Jonny Kim

Last week, some API teachers I work with held space for students to process these events while also considering what it means to take action, protect communities and heal. It was predominantly Asian and Black students in attendance. One of our Black youth said, "I'm here to support the Asian community. It's not right what's happening. I'm also tired of seeing the suspects look like me." The weight of what he said is hella heavy. W

Which school district do you teach in?

But in general, SOME kids are able to have those conversations in controlled spaces. I don't know if I would agree that they do it better than adults though.

Some of them can, some can't.
SOme of us can, some of us can't.

Recently I was on the phone with my dad as he and my mom were going to Oakland Chinatown and before I hung up, I said "be careful." Then I paused and really had to ask myself, what does it mean for him to be careful? If he's staying aware and vigilant, what are things he's supposed to look out for? I really had to check myself because I was being hella vague and obtuse. The subtext to that was "look out for people who stick out in Chinatown" and given that the perpetrators of the recent violence against Asian elders have been Black, it's not hard to assume how my dad interpreted my comment of "be careful."

There's a need to keep our communities safe and protected from violence; that's a baseline for all of us. There's real fear of Anti-Asian violence that's been ticking up (my homegirl's mom was mugged while grocery shopping for lunar new year last week in San Jose, my uncle was robbed at gunpoint working at an Oakland donut shop a few months back). The anxiety and fear is absolutely warranted. I also recognize that the safety of our Asian communities isn't tied to more policing or Asian celebrities putting bounties on peoples' heads. The mayor of Oakland has used the events in Oakland Chinatown to reinforce this notion that we aren't safe until we fully fund the police. If her solution is put more police in Chinatown without addressing the social and economic conditions in the neighborhoods surrounding it, then Asian elders aren't safe once they step outside Chinatown.

When computers posted the photo of the Black man without context, I was perplexed so I asked for some clarification. With the conversation in this thread about the rise in violence against the Asian community, when someone clarified I understood why computers felt it was relevant. I also understand the complexities and dangers of projecting an image of a Black man's mugshot given this country's history with Black men.

Last week, some API teachers I work with held space for students to process these events while also considering what it means to take action, protect communities and heal. It was predominantly Asian and Black students in attendance. One of our Black youth said, "I'm here to support the Asian community. It's not right what's happening. I'm also tired of seeing the suspects look like me." The weight of what he said is hella heavy. When computers posted that photo and someone provided context, I immediately had to wrestle with the question of how do we protect Asian folks while making sure we don't antagonize and endanger Black communities?

My bad for the long *** post. I'll say this though: youth are capable of having conversations about race in much more healthier ways than how we've demonstrated on NT.
Well, I would have a serious conversation with that young Black man about his perception of what he sees, may be skewed against those who look like him. He needs to understand the game, and why Black people are always portrayed as the villain. White supremacy needs an enemy, in order to appear as the right direction to hold. Those who aspire to the throne of white supremacy, need an example of what not to be. Don’t be like THOSE people. They were slaves for a reason. Be like US, then hating them for being what they are. That is the conversation that I’d begin with, to save that young Black man from the guilt that he does not deserve.

There is no need to come in here and make an argument for your own personal opinion against another person, if you have an opinion that clearly doesnt pertain to the thread at hand DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican KHUFU KHUFU boywonder boywonder then take that ish to the DM's.

Add something of value, create awareness, and show some love to fellow minorities. These microaggressions come off as how the majority of media cover Asians in general, create a disconnect between other cultures and forget about Asian struggles currently on hand.

From my own perspective, and being educated in public schools in TX, I have never read a single good thing about any Asian(s) in specific. It really is a major issue that stems beyond what is in control of Asians as a whole. I speak with people and when they hear Kamala Harris is Asian they don't even realize India is in Asia.

If you're not white or black in this country you will have to learn about your own culture/race/ethnicity through your own time/research.

The most successful human being on this planet, IMO, is Jonny Kim and how many people are aware of his contributions to this country as an American....

Jonny Kim
Ohhhh man. :smh:

All of this and not a single PEEP from computersputin computersputin

Noted. I mean it's obvious to those who aren't being intentionally obtuse that your behavior is indefensible but, still. Nothing from you lol.

Also:

@Methodical Management

Please take my comments as constructive feedback for this site.

Please note that I am in no way shape or form trying to create any type of race wars between anyone on this sneakerboard. HOWEVER….

Over the last year, the general section has been bombarded with racial treads related “African Americans” and black awareness, especially from a selected group of individuals on here. Now, do I think there is an issue with rights with black lives and there needs to be more awareness to this topic? 100%. No if, ands, and buts. But there doesn’t need to be 1000 different threads dedicated to this. We can have open discussions about black culture in the “Black Culture” thread as most of us have been discussing about Asians in this thread. Sure, an incident like George Floyd definitely deserves its own thread because of how traumatic it was, not just for black people, but minorities versus police. But to allow a thread such as, “not going into Sushi spots in certain neighborhoods” when we have a black culture thread already in general where we can openly discuss those type of things, is totally unnecessary.

Let me know @Methodical Management if my observation is incorrect on opening up multiple threads on racial topics. If so, then I think we should start a few on elderly Asians being attacked, or how Asians were targeted during the start of the pandemic, or how Trump used “China Virus” consistently in his press conferences. Otherwise, I think all those random racial topics need to be locked and consolidated so the thread on "Everything about race" can be openly discussed so we can overcome racism as a collective group.

I just want to make sure we’re all aligned and clear.

Wow.

And yes your observations are myopic and incorrect since you're wondering.

I don't think that anyone has a problem with threads about elderly Asians being attacked on the streets.

Its insane to me that you and some of your buddies on here take such issue with separate threads about crimes perpetrated against African Americans being created. There's literally no problem with it other than you're tired of seeing it, which is offensive and problematic in and of itself.

What is this? Feel free to DM me and express your thoughts and we can have a normalized convo?
I cannot reach out from my end due to your account being limited.
I’ll say what I need to say, right here on this thread. The administrator has already commented here, and I am certain that he will again. I will have him take a look into your threat, as if you are in control of the civil discourse occurring in this thread. So, sit right there and wait for my dm why don’t you?

Which school district do you teach in?

But in general, SOME kids are able to have those conversations in controlled spaces. I don't know if I would agree that they do it better than adults though.

Some of them can, some can't.
SOme of us can, some of us can't.

I work in a small school district in the Bay Area (East Bay).

I agree, I should have said SOME youth are capable of having these conversation, just like some adults on NT are. My fault if that comment was a sweeping generalization. In classes I've been in, any time I have conversations with youth, regardless of topic, there are protocols to maintain safety and we ensure that we challenge each others' ideas without attacking the person. On a message board, I don't know if folks abide by any established ground rules.

Well, I would have a serious conversation with that young Black man about his perception of what he sees, may be skewed against those who look like him. He needs to understand the game, and why Black people are always portrayed as the villain. White supremacy needs an enemy, in order to appear as the right direction to hold. Those who aspire to the throne of white supremacy, need an example of what not to be. Don’t be like THOSE people. They were slaves for a reason. Be like US, then hating them for being what they are. That is the conversation that I’d begin with, to save that young Black man from the guilt that he does not deserve.

Absolutely. As an educator who works with predominantly Black, Latinx, and Asian youth, I feel like it's the teacher's "hippocratic oath" to orient youth towards a more accurate version of story and history. I'm still learning, however.

Back
Top Bottom