Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

You seem to think that I am trying to convince you to support another brand, correct? DON'T CARE WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO CONVINCE ANYONE TO DO. EITHER WAY I DOUBT ITS WORKING

If that is the case, then you are incorrect. I personally don't care as to what you buy. However, when you say that Nike is the best, you do realize that you open up the floor for someone to challenge your opinion, right? GREAT. YOU ARE THAT GUY. WE GET IT. THANKS

So what you are really saying in your comment above, is that you take issue with someone who has a differing opinion, than that of your own. I DON'T THINK ANYONE IS REALLY TAKING PERSONAL ISSUE WITH YOU AS MUCH AS THE FACT THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO CRAM IT DOWN PEOPLE'S THROATS- SEEMINGLY- IF I AM WRONG CORRECT ME. OF COURSE, I PROBABLY CAN'T BE "RE-PROGRAMMED" IN YOUR OPINION BECAUSE I HAVE ALREADY "DRUNK THE SWOOSH KOOL-AID"

It doesn't sound like I am the one with the problem, now does it? YOU'RE RIGHT- EVERYONE ELSE IS MISUNDERSTANDING YOU AND YOU UNDERSTAND EVERYONE ELSE PERFECTLY- AND HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUT. HOW DARE WE TRY AND INTERPRET WHAT YOU ARE SAYING OR READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

IN SUMMARY, I THINK IT JUST SEEMS TO SOME PEOPLE HERE THAT YOU ARE DOING THE FOLLOWING:

IN SUMMARY, I THINK IT JUST SEEMS TO SOME PEOPLE HERE THAT YOU ARE DOING THE FOLLOWING:

Well, that's fine, just as long as you should understand that there are others here who do not agree with you, including myself.

Democracy is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Well, that's fine, just as long as you should understand that there are others here who do not agree with you, including myself.

Democracy is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

It's cool man- you have your p.o.v-your stance- your opinion (fact based or otherwise)- that's fine. I just wonder- what is the endgame for you? You obviously have shared your opinion and given examples to prove some of your points and people have obviously read - whether they like it or not- so who are you trying to win over? what is the purpose of continuing to add example after example of what you deem to be Nike's erroneous and flawed ways? You rip on quality, craftsmanship, and pricing, however I don't see much in the way of suggestions to improve.

Who/what determines the criteria for exceptional quality? Is it not safe to say that it is different things to different people? You may prefer a 400 dollar dress shoe while I may prefer a 200 dress shoe- the quality of mine may be exceptional in my opinion whereas you may feel the quality on yours is superior. Who is right, who is wrong- is there an absolute determining factor? Maybe mine @ 200 end up lasting longer than yours @ 400 so who is then right?? My point is this argument, and or your argument could go on forever. I don't doubt that you make many valid points, and in fact I may very well agree with many of them. Many folks on here may agree with you, but I can guarantee that whether people TELL you or not (unlikely given this is a forum where very few of us actually meet face to face), the longer you go on in the manner you have, the more confrontational, adversarial, bitter, jaded, and disgruntled you look or come off. Your experience, your knowledge, your insight, and your facts may be entirely on point, but that is reality man. If you relish being THAT GUY, "to open everyone's eyes" and uncover all the "injustices", then more power to you. It would just seem your time and effort may be better spent elsewhere. Good luck. Me personally I am pretty well done with this thread.

It's cool man- you have your p.o.v-your stance- your opinion (fact based or otherwise)- that's fine. I just wonder- what is the endgame for you? You obviously have shared your opinion and given examples to prove some of your points and people have obviously read - whether they like it or not- so who are you trying to win over? what is the purpose of continuing to add example after example of what you deem to be Nike's erroneous and flawed ways? You rip on quality, craftsmanship, and pricing, however I don't see much in the way of suggestions to improve.
Who/what determines the criteria for exceptional quality? Is it not safe to say that it is different things to different people? You may prefer a 400 dollar dress shoe while I may prefer a 200 dress shoe- the quality of mine may be exceptional in my opinion whereas you may feel the quality on yours is superior. Who is right, who is wrong- is there an absolute determining factor? Maybe mine @ 200 end up lasting longer than yours @ 400 so who is then right?? My point is this argument, and or your argument could go on forever. I don't doubt that you make many valid points, and in fact I may very well agree with many of them. Many folks on here may agree with you, but I can guarantee that whether people TELL you or not (unlikely given this is a forum where very few of us actually meet face to face), the longer you go on in the manner you have, the more confrontational, adversarial, bitter, jaded, and disgruntled you look or come off. Your experience, your knowledge, your insight, and your facts may be entirely on point, but that is reality man. If you relish being THAT GUY, "to open everyone's eyes" and uncover all the "injustices", then more power to you. It would just seem your time and effort may be better spent elsewhere. Good luck. Me personally I am pretty well done with this thread.
Wait, this isn't the Suggest How Nike Can Improve thread, this is the Ask A Former Nike Employee thread!

Da' heck I wanna help Nike improve for? How would that be a benefit for moi?

I am not trying to win anyone over here, as I am simply stating my opinion, one that is becoming increasingly popular these days.

Again, I say what I say not to convince any of you of anything. My comments are in rebuttal to those who claim that what I am saying is completely incorrect, or somehow fabricated. So I post links that feature fact based evidence, in order to support and prove my claims.

Is there something wrong with that?

You and the others who sit with you, seem to not like it when people can come back at you. It passive aggressive. It's like the little kid on the playground, and you want to take his ball, but he stands up then kicks you in the ***. You then call him the bully, when all he has done is to defend his stuff.

So again, I don't care what you buy, it's none of my business. In fact, Nike needs as much help as you can give them these days. So I encourage you to go out and buy what they are now calling high quality performance footwear.

After it falls apart, get back at me. 

See how far off this has gone now? We are bringing up democracy and other **** that is not pertinent to this thread. There is a thread about nothing in the general forum if you would like to state how great democracies are.

I'm all for people supporting their point, but please do not try to change people's minds. State your opinion once or twice and keep it moving. You're not running on some platform trying to get elected here, since we are talking democracy now....

For the employees: What is the biggest danger facing Nike in the future, be it short-term or long-term? Obviously this will be an opinion based on your time there, I just want to know since it seems like they are steam-rolling the competition as of late...

Wait, this isn't the Suggest How Nike Can Improve thread, this is the Ask A Former Nike Employee thread!

Da' heck I wanna help Nike improve for? How would that be a benefit for moi?

I am not trying to win anyone over here, as I am simply stating my opinion, one that is becoming increasingly popular these days.

Again, I say what I say not to convince any of you of anything. My comments are in rebuttal to those who claim that what I am saying is completely incorrect, or somehow fabricated. So I post links that feature fact based evidence, in order to support and prove my claims.

Is there something wrong with that?

You and the others who sit with you, seem to not like it when people can come back at you. It passive aggressive. It's like the little kid on the playground, and you want to take his ball, but he stands up then kicks you in the ***. You then call him the bully, when all he has done is to defend his stuff.No idea where you are going with this?? you are likening this thread/argument you are making to kids playing ball on a playground?? passive agressive. sure. something like that.:lol: I don't think anyone cares that you have your opinion that may in some cases be backed up by facts- maybe it even is truth- bar none- hands down- even so, who cares. Again, you do you with your money and possibly influence those within your own tight-knit circle, but what is the point of your repetitive laboring of all these points if in the end you could care less. Obviously you do otherwise you wouldn't bother perpetuating the argument you claim you have already made and backed up right?? So it's personal.. you clearly have a complex about the whole process- greater picture- entity that is NIKE. That's fine- you got gripes- I understand- don't buy it- don't use it, dont support it, blah blah blah. I don't like everything they have to offer. I like some of it and regardless of how, when, or if they somehow screwed you over I will probably continue to buy it- Big news, I feel "screwed over" by them to some extent- does that mean I won't ever buy the product again- most definitely not. Kinda like the country we live in my friend- does the government screw you to some extent every year when you pay taxes?? sure, maybe they do to some extent- does that mean you won't take/accept/live in the confines of the U.S? I am guessing not. You learn to live and adjust and accept the good along with the bad. If there is nothing good about Nike for you, then great, move on, do your thing- without the brand, the product, and anything associated with it. But to continue to try and prop yourself up as better than, above, or on some higher plane of knowledge because you have/had have first hand experience and it didn't work it out - just seems way over the top- move on- sounds like you have- but why the need to share all the negativity? We got it- NIKE BAD- Nike sux, Nike lacks quality, ingenuity, integrity, humanity, etc... am I missing anything?? you happy??

Sorry for taking your "ball" my man.. You can have it back.. are you happy now or do we all need some more knowledge via articles and links to prove to us all what a hoax Nike is and how brainwashed we all have become?:smh:

So again, I don't care what you buy, it's none of my business. In fact, Nike needs as much help as you can give them these days. So I encourage you to go out and buy what they are now calling high quality performance footwear.

After it falls apart, get back at me. 

AKA... you have to admit my man... as much as I've appreciated some of your points brought to the table, the tone at times does take a jump from folks wanting to find out employment or the machinations of Nike to how bad can one person dog Nike..

Picture you and I having a conversation about Five Guys and how great it is on a street corner.  Just us two chilllin after having a shopping spree at the local Adi store.  All of a sudden out of no where someone who loves Burger King comes in butts into our conversation about how Five guys imports their meats... cooks their foods and pays their employees with a negative tone.

Initially we are like come on.. man.. I didnt ask you all that.. but soon we find some of it to be informative.... then... after hearing all that.... He keeps going and going and going when all we wanted to do was enjoy our Five Guys burger knowing damn well it could give us both a heart attack of the worst kind.

Point being... sometimes people want to enjoy what people want to enjoy.  They may enjoy the banter which provides insight.. but if driven into them like a jagged rusty nail they will kick back.

This is why I havent really par taken of alot of the latest dialogue because it would take away from CWK's initial posting and why I asked CWK if he minded if I chimed in because I thought I could offer some insight.... 

PS  when I mentioned Aggassi's situation being well documented.. I meant among those who follow Money Magazines or Wall Street and the like.  I assume you are a tad older like myself so Sole Collector isn't our only form of daily reading... 

But when it comes to Asking a Former Employee about Nike.. Im not sure where Agassi and their contributions play into the convo...   Just my 2 cents...  Personally I think you've gotten better with "tone" but you do still have an aggressive stance.

Last edited:
AKA... you have to admit my man... as much as I've appreciated some of your points brought to the table, the tone at times does take a jump from folks wanting to find out employment or the machinations of Nike to how bad can one person dog Nike..

Picture you and I having a conversation about Five Guys and how great it is on a street corner.  Just us two chilllin after having a shopping spree at the local Adi store.  All of a sudden out of no where someone who loves Burger King comes in butts into our conversation about how Five guys imports their meats... cooks their foods and pays their employees with a negative tone.

Initially we are like come on.. man.. I didnt ask you all that.. but soon we find some of it to be informative.... then... after hearing all that.... He keeps going and going and going when all we wanted to do was enjoy our Five Guys burger knowing damn well it could give us both a heart attack of the worst kind.

Point being... sometimes people want to enjoy what people want to enjoy.  They may enjoy the banter which provides insight.. but if driven into them like a jagged rusty nail they will kick back.

This is why I havent really par taken of alot of the latest dialogue because it would take away from CWK's initial posting and why I asked CWK if he minded if I chimed in because I thought I could offer some insight.... 

PS  when I mentioned Aggassi's situation being well documented.. I meant among those who follow Money Magazines or Wall Street and the like.  I assume you are a tad older like myself so Sole Collector isn't our only form of daily reading... 

But when it comes to Asking a Former Employee about Nike.. Im not sure where Agassi and their contributions play into the convo...   Just my 2 cents...  Personally I think you've gotten better with "tone" but you do still have an aggressive stance.
You do have a point. But I only crossed the street when I overheard people saying stuff like this...
Also, thanks for the info Rock.  It's very good to know Nike intentionally creates frenzies when they release shoes.  All its going to take is the next guy that gets shot, beat up, etc to sue Nike for damages. 

Though I am a corporate/transactional lawyer, I have a few freinds that are tort lawyers/ambulence chasers.  This sounds like something they may be intrerested in pursuing if they get get a group of people together that got hurt at store releases.  At the very least, someone could file a claim and make Nike's life painful and expensive through document discovery.  Base on your statements (and clearly you have an in with Nike based on all the exclusive things you get) and those of the former Nike basketball employee, there's certainly reason to beleive Nike knows exactly what it is doing.  Should be able to make it past a Motion To Dismiss without a problem.  I think I've seen news reports with people's names that have been hurt.

Hmm......

...yanno?!

Since Agassi is a former employee, I think that he is incredibly relevant in this convo! Not a lot of the ex employees, have many good things to say about the place!

I'm jus' sayin'!!!
laugh.gif

See how far off this has gone now? We are bringing up democracy and other **** that is not pertinent to this thread. There is a thread about nothing in the general forum if you would like to state how great democracies are.
I'm all for people supporting their point, but please do not try to change people's minds. State your opinion once or twice and keep it moving. You're not running on some platform trying to get elected here, since we are talking democracy now....
For the employees: What is the biggest danger facing Nike in the future, be it short-term or long-term? Obviously this will be an opinion based on your time there, I just want to know since it seems like they are steam-rolling the competition as of late...
In all fairness, there has been about 5 different people coming at AKA talking about how he's derailing the thread. One said he's disappointed to see what the thread has become in the last 5-7 pages. I've been lurking for a while before I created my account. There has been less than 10 questions asked in the last 20 pages. This discussion has been going on for even longer than that. The thread is what it is now. A lot got lost in the move and the discussion is keeping it alive. If you want to ask a question, then ask. Every question I've seen posted has been answered by RockDeep or someone else.  So it's not like the discussion is taking away from the "original intent" of the thread.

Honestly, people just don't like what he's saying about Nike and instead of challenging it they're playing the "why do you have to talk about it here?" card. If he made another thread the next one would be "if you hate Nike so much why are you on Niketalk?" I think someone already said it. If you don't have anything to contribute to the discussion whether it be "pro-Nike" or "anti-Nike", stay out of the thread. It's been like this for over 2 months. People acting like this just happened overnight.

I have noticed AKA change his tone though and yeah, it's clear he feels strongly about his point. Nothing wrong with that. But he is less condescending and hasn't called anyone a Nike-lover in a while. And I'm one of the people who called him out on it a few pages ago.

Let that boy cook.

Anyone see a company like Adidas or UnderArmor or Reebok ever de-throning Nike, so to speak?

It would take a seismic shift in the universe for that to happen. Can they lose market share and become slightly irrelevant after people move on to the next big fad? Yes, that could happen.

I was thinking about this the other day. Say after th current crop of premier athletes (Bron, Kobe, KD, etc.) are done with, waaaay down the road, and the newer talents sign with an up and comer like UA, Nike basketball could be irrelevant. People are already losing interest with higher pricing and poorer quality, and the retros will keep them afloat for a little while, but if the next LeBron (in terms of marketability) signs with someone else, I think we could see a huge shift. Drose has made Adidas relevant in the basketball world again, at least for me, cause the rose sneakers seem nice and I haven't bought Adidas for hooping since the tmacs.

What do y'all think? Obviously this is specific to basketball, but Nike has a stronghold on the basketball sector so that's why I brought this up.

NIke Basketball is already irrelevant.

Jordan Brand carries the flag, as the stand in for Nike basketball.

But I'll tell you what, let this three hundred dollar shoe cause some issues, like the fuse didn't fuse properly, and people start posting pics of the poor quality, rips and tears. It really didn't take hold with the Elite line, like it will for this model.

Just watch. 

I was thinking about this the other day. Say after th current crop of premier athletes (Bron, Kobe, KD, etc.) are done with, waaaay down the road, and the newer talents sign with an up and comer like UA, Nike basketball could be irrelevant. People are already losing interest with higher pricing and poorer quality, and the retros will keep them afloat for a little while, but if the next LeBron (in terms of marketability) signs with someone else, I think we could see a huge shift. Drose has made Adidas relevant in the basketball world again, at least for me, cause the rose sneakers seem nice and I haven't bought Adidas for hooping since the tmacs.
What do y'all think? Obviously this is specific to basketball, but Nike has a stronghold on the basketball sector so that's why I brought this up.
hard to say for now, just take a look at young kobe signed with adidas and of course he has some great run with shaq and lakers winning 3peat NBA championship but his shoes never really took off at that time, compare after the colorado tragedy and Nike signed kobe after that and somehow kobe regain his strength and popularity and has MVP season with him also winning back to back championship title and the rest we already knew his sneakers are one of the most popular even until today.

all other brands need to do are they have to make great impact and move and introduce something new in sneaker game esp basketball shoes. crazy light concept are quite good i think but need to redesign the model so people didn't claim it's just another Nike's

Anyone see a company like Adidas or UnderArmor or Reebok ever de-throning Nike, so to speak?
Well Adidas was far and away the leader before Nike/Jordan took over so I don't see why not.  All it takes is the greatest player/promoter of all time pairing up with revolutionizing product, oh yah, Nike should be fine.

They won't sign with UA though because Nike can (and will) give them life changing money that UA can't.

UA got Jennings, Deandre, Derrick Williams, and Kemba walker though..

Adidas has not only Derrick Rose, but Dwight (I sell more shoes than I have baby mamas), as well as The Spanish sensation Ricky Rubio, Josh Smith, and Devin Harris!

Li-Ning has Evan Turner and Jose Calderon.

Anta has KG

Spalding has Jimmer Fredette and Mario Chalmers

Reebok has John Wall, Jameer Nelson,and Jason Terry

Nike has some clown named Lebron James, another guy whos won a couple rings or so named Kobe Bryant, and some newcomer by the name of Kevin Durant. I think they also have a few other dudes named Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook, Dirk Nowitzki, and this other little offshoot of Nike called Jordan Brand has Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade ( for the moment at least ), and Carmelo Anthony. I am pretty sure Amare Stoudamire, Andre Iguodala, and Anthony Davis ( #1 pick in this year's draft ) are also with Nike.

With the exception of Derrick Rose, I would say the other dudes mentioned above are probably a mere "blip" on the radar in comparison to team Nike and JB. Of course their quality blows, so I would think within the next year or two you should see a mass exodus by many of Nike's signature guys to Adidas, Reebok, Spalding, UA and all of the other groundbreaking companies that have a lock on quality and craftsmanship.

Expect to see Jabari Parker in something other than Nike, and expect it to retail for 79.99 or so. All the kids are gonna flock to that and from a quality standpoint it is gonna blow just about everything NIKE has ever done out of the water.

I would also expect to see most everything Nike has done in the last 10-15 years or so being "fire sold" out in various garage sales, and flea markets for pennies on the dollar. Their quality and craftsmanship is so subpar, that its likely TOMS and or CROCS will outsell them by 1000 to 1 by year 2020.

I would expect a crocs brand basketball shoe by 2030 that will be sold for 3.99 and at that point NIKE should be extinct. Point being, Nike is on the way down, so I'd probably jump ship while you have the opportunity. Glad I could be of help. Searching for articles, forecasts, pie charts, and spreadsheets right now to support my comments. brb

As for anyone taking a Market share of what Nike has and dethroning them,  you guys are thinking on more of a segmented thought process.

Reebok and Adi together couldn't do it.  Why?  Focus.  Just as you all mentioned  theres ALL these things other brands could do to take over, that is their problem.

While trying to keep up with Nike which is vast like Xerxes Army... other brands are trying to keep up toe for toe with Nike and dont have the Resources... R&D money and frankly the Advertising company Nike has to keep up.

UA spread themselves thin as I mentioned.  They are great with grass roots campaings CLICK CLACK as mentioned was great.  They USED to cater to a segment of people who really identified with the underdog and new comer.  Now they are into Lifestyle, Baseball, Basketball and Football. 

I think they got into Basketball too soon.   Sure they have some ok product but its not comparable to many products on the Nike line (My opinion from seeing it up close)  Going LIFESTYLE was def a stretch... 

They could have just called their line Off field or Off Field Trainer Line.  Nike actually felt threatened from their Football line.. but no longer.  because Cam's cleat while a throw back.. wont and cant sustain.  They have another cleat with a higher price point.

Adi has soccer... and Basketball is doing ok.. but to me and only to me.. their bulky siloettes will be the death of them and investing in big men. Its proven.. Big men dont sell well.   Their Originals line is GREAT and I have a friend who works on it, and the stuff coming out "Armour" is UNREAL and rivals Foamposite but in a different direction people would like. 

Reebok.....?  As mentioned before.. they are going retro now HEAVY... but the problem is.. their demo is now 35+ and they never kept up the identity of their retro products between all that dead time.  So your TARGET demo of younger kids who eat up Jordan and Lebron wont identify. 

I mean if you think Im speaking from bias.. go do a Market Research Focus Group with Reebok or Adi and see what the feedback is.  Not just from Shoe heads but from every day casual shoe wears and performance athletes.

I dont see Lining, Peak or the brothers from the other shoe company BP works for making a dent. the designs are too basic and resemble too much of whats already been done. 

Many critique designs.. but dont realize unless you are assigned to do ONLY Lebrons line you are doing MAYBE 10 to 25 shoes a year. amoung three or four dudes. 

That aint easy.

Nike can cruise at a High Altitude and afford to mess up several times a season because it has one product that will make up for the ones that fail. AKA said Nike Basketball is irrelevant but that in my opinion cant be further from the truth. 

You have the best basketball player in the world, and a product line of kicks that sell VERY well even with Jordan Retro swelling up the market and Jordans Team line doing better than Shoe heads would expect.

Its more than just a Sneaker head what you see around you thought process.. its whats going on all over you have to consider.

Brand Jordan is what keeps the Nike juggernaut ahead in sales. If ever left with Kobe, LeBron and Durant, Nike would slide right back in line with every other company. Nike has 95 percent of footwear market due to visibility, then being in business with the best Basketball player ever. Don't believe me?

Here's Mike himself on the subject,
My heart was still with Adidas, but they never made an offer. The decision was a lot easier for Nike. The company's stock had dropped by more than half and was down around $6 a share in 1984. Strasser had to take a gamble. And he did. He wanted to change the entire market by betting on one person. Nike didn't have a second choice. He was a genius. It worked.
-M.J.    
Nike Basketball is still putting the swooshes on Bryant's, LeBron's, and Durants shoe, know why? They need the visibility in order to get noticed. They know it, I know it, and all of you know it.

Nike will never allow one man, outside of Phil Knight, to dictate the direction of their brand, ever again.

Thats called a lesson learned my man. We all do it after major projects in corporate business or small mom and pop start ups.  

BUT... that doesn't mean Nike Basketball isn't relevant. I wouldn't remove the swoosh from any other Signature either...its my brand. Its what I created. They created something great with Jordan and that jumpman. 

You look at top sales and other than Jordans...Nikes are leading in a basketball kicks moreso than MANY other brands.  You cant deny sales.

That's just...not...true.

When the quarterly sales reports are released, it shows that Jordan Brand occupies the top spots, not that of Nike Basketball. Perhaps one colorway of LeBron's shoe cracks the top ten, depending on the quarter, but the rest are JB with the Retro's leading the way.

If Nike Basketball were doing what you claim they are, then this would be inaccurate ....

Nike (NYSE: NKE) fell sharply Friday after the company reported fourth-quarter EPS of $1.17 per share, well short of analysts' estimates for $1.37. Earnings were pinched by tighter margins caused by rising raw materials costs, and lowing demand in international markets.

http://www.marketintelligencecenter.com/newsbites/1361033

The lowing demand in international markets is an interesting note. Apparently, Kobe was supposed to be the big boy over in Asia, right?

Something's not going right.

If it were, Nike would not have condensed their portfolio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom