Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

Actually I'll go ahead and speak to the Kobe's durability, specifically the 6 which is what you've got posted up there. Kobe 6's (and 5's before them) are my beaters, so I do wear them almost every day. And I've been wearing them for over a year, and no there aren't any real durability issues, especially not a structural durability issue like you're talking about with the Hyperdunk Elites. The gold chipping on the Lebron's is annoying and pretty unseemly for the price but ultimately doesn't make a difference in the function of the shoe. This is not to say that it should be acceptable to consumers to have a major part of the aesthetics of their $250 shoe (holy **** I still can't believe that Nike somehow got people to pay $250 for a gym shoe:smh: ) be compromised that easily. As far as the Hyperdunks, Blake Griffin's foot got stepped on in an incredibly awkward way so it's not totally surprising that the shoe ripped, I'm more surprised that he didn't injure himself. The real question is was this an isolated incident that only happened because you're dealing with the extremes of NBA players or is this happening in gyms all around the country?

Holy crap how did AKA suck me back into this... screw it I'm out of here.

And you did know that Sheed had custom Nike ortho inserts to be able to ball in the AF1's right? It's not like it was the AF1's you and I bought.
Here you are lying, and then have no clue as to what you are talking about. The inserts worn by all teams are made by doctors that work through the teams. Nike does not make special inserts for players, as it is an insurance risk. 

Also guess you didn't see all the player exclusives I've posted...the shoes are exactly the same as what was sold in stores, outside of then being labled samples, then with his logo, size thirteen.

Actually I'll go ahead and speak to the Kobe's durability, specifically the 6 which is what you've got posted up there. Kobe 6's (and 5's before them) are my beaters, so I do wear them almost every day. And I've been wearing them for over a year, and no there aren't any real durability issues, especially not a structural durability issue like you're talking about with the Hyperdunk Elites. The gold chipping on the Lebron's is annoying and pretty unseemly for the price but ultimately doesn't make a difference in the function of the shoe. This is not to say that it should be acceptable to consumers to have a major part of the aesthetics of their $250 shoe (holy **** I still can't believe that Nike somehow got people to pay $250 for a gym shoe:smh: ) be compromised that easily. As far as the Hyperdunks, Blake Griffin's foot got stepped on in an incredibly awkward way so it's not totally surprising that the shoe ripped, I'm more surprised that he didn't injure himself. The real question is was this an isolated incident that only happened because you're dealing with the extremes of NBA players or is this happening in gyms all around the country?
Holy crap how did AKA suck me back into this... screw it I'm out of here.
Bottom line, for an ELITE shoe at two hundred fifty dollars, the aesthetics of that shoe should not have been compromised, not under any condition, not right out the box.

By the way... 

to compare a Basketball shoe being worn by the best players in the world having extreme abuse put on them to a shoe worn mostly by folks for casual wear is absurd.

Hypocrite..... I'd say so. lol

Check YOUR surveys... the Monarch is a shoe worn by folks almost DAILY hence why they come back EVERY year to purchase it over and over again. It does NOT last forever.. and you could wear a basketball shoe everyday if the same type of stress were put on it.

See all shoe collectors
This guy...
laugh.gif
 So why did the stripe on the Elites peel off again? Frayed areas on the shoe for people who only wore them with skinny jeans?

Trust, I am not trying to get anyone on my side here. If you are stupid enough to buy a three hundred dollar sneaker, one that cannot maintain its aethestic integrity, then you get what you deserve. I am in constant need of new material, so I hope I see plenty new pics of stripes falling off, and then complaints about this so called superior, then elite product.

Features Of LeBron James' New Shoe

http://www.theonion.com/articles/features-of-lebron-james-new-shoe,29390/

Last edited:
I had asked this question earlier but I think it was missed bc of AKA's trollfest.

What sells more, Monarch or AF1?

Muz..> I dont know exact numbers but both are pretty high volume sellers.

Skeeter Nike doesnt make Ortho's for their athletes that IS purely the athletes responsibility and all of them dont wear them. Those joints are quite expensive.

Lebrons actually arrive at his locker without insoles... his friends and family boxes arrive fully intact.

There is a myth that game shoes are made differently than Retail versions but thats simply not the truth.

However Nike did make Sheed several different versions of his AF1s during his later playing days in the league. Alot of folks assumed he HAD to be playing in a different version due to no one really playing in AF1s anymore.. especially on court in the NBA... but we all know Sheed is another animal altogether...  ( I saw him at the Stadium Club a few months back...lol  funny dude indeed)

it was slow at work today so I just read every page. Great stuff and thanks to everybody that contributed.

Oh gotcha, I read somewhere a while back that Nike's team of engineers made ortho's for some of their athletes, my mistake. But I did hear that Sheed had various specializations done to the AF1 that were made only for him, is that what you were saying Rock?

You heard a lie, one that has existed ever since I came to Nike Talk. 'sheed didn't like anything but the OG set up of the AF1's. I know this for a fact. He also used to sit in front of his locker, then shave the dead skin, the callouses off his feet with a razor.

'sheed didn't give a fuh'....and that's why I dug him.

Skeet.... Sheed in his late Nike years got different variations of the AF1 other than the traditional AF1 look.  They gave him vis air then of course the big ole Sheed Logo and of course his PEs were unlike much that Nike had not released... 

But for the most part Sheed wore what we wore even in colorways

[h1]Nike, LeBron X and sneakerheads: Dying to be fresh[/h1]
Last week, 19-year-old Montre T. Bradley, was killed after stick-up kids robbed him while he stood in line to get a pair of Nike Foamposites. Relatives told a local newspaper that he worked as a kitchen porter in an upstate New York hospital and saved the $220 for the sneakers. The paper also reported that Bradley was in line the night before the 9:30 a.m. release so that he would be the first to get the new metallic silver and crimson colorway.

He would die hours later in same hospital where he worked.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...938804c-f84d-11e1-8253-3f495ae70650_blog.html

Nike dealer aka Rock aka the homie yo whats your opinion on HTM and how NIke treats Japanese designers and collaborations with much more respect and free reign over design.MMA legend Caol Uno is a known sneakerhead in japan and has his own sportswear line geared toward fighters and mma fans along with Collabos with NIke.Do you think them working with Jon Jones they can replicate that type of success all the while paying homage to MMA culture and history.
Also why hasnt nike done something similar with American designers like what they did with Hiroshi Fujiwara in Japan.IT seems that nike japan has alot more freedom to expirement and produce unique products than Nike America does.

Hey Thor... 

Nike's version of that freedom is the Kitchen.... 

When Mark Smith, Cooper, Hatfield, Avar and the crew sit in there, there is VERY little that keeps them from having the absolute freedom to do whatever they want when they want.

I personally know of several projects they take on without worrying about red tape that Nike Basketball or NSW worries about.  As a matter of fact NSW has more freedom than Nike Basketball does.

Those guys in the kitchen will work with folks to get a personal feel for the particular project they are working.  As far as the Japanese Design guys... I think MMA is taking on a new life of its own.. the way Nike SB did.  At first they struggled to latch on and gain acceptance.. but with everything else Nike does... they figure it out and make great headway.

I like the marriage.  I work with a guy named Luke Thomas locally who knows more about MMA and has taught me alot just by listening to his show.  He used to run www.bloodyelbow.com and www.mmanation.com

He now is on Sirius XM and does a great job... I will talk to him because he knows all things MMA inside and out.. and Im sure he'd have insight on Nike even though its my wheelhouse. 

Last edited:
CWK, LONGSTROKE or RockDeep,

Hello! My name is Michael, and I'm a college student in the Philadelphia area interested in working for a footwear brand at the corporate level, namely Nike. If you didn't mind, could you give me your e-mail so I could e-mail you a few questions about pursuing internships or what I else I would have to do in this process. I really appreciate your time and consideration.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what software designers use at nike or Jordan to do sketches and 3d models?

Anyone see a company like Adidas or UnderArmor or Reebok ever de-throning Nike, so to speak?
in footwear? no, believe it or not, Nikes running sector is really whats keeping the footwear line hugely profitable tho, ua/adidas/reebok is not ****** with nikes running shoes like other running specific companies are, and honestly nike's other sectors arent really that far ahead of the pack, unless you want to count JB as part of nike's basketball/sportswear line then things change

in apparel? most definitely, adidas and UA are already top competitors and i would go so far as to say nike doesnt even have the apparel crown

LONG STROKE!!! the apparel revenue numbers for the respective companies please

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats your thoughts on Andre Agassi coming back with the swoosh?

From what I recall, Agassi and Phil Knight werent in good terms when he left.

Do you think Agassi will get a wing in Nike HQ?

Last edited:
Whats your thoughts on Andre Agassi coming back with the swoosh?

From what I recall, Agassi and Phil Knight werent in good terms when he left.

Do you think Agassi will get a wing in Nike HQ?
yea, when i read that tweet last night, i was like "What does this mean though?"

are they just going to remix and retro his shoes like CB? or is he going to work on their tennis line?

Back
Top Bottom