Ask the Barber

Originally Posted by ErickM713

How do I fix my widows peak problem?
Every time I go get a haircut he always has a hard time because he says my widows peak is weird and that my hairline is a trip, I mean he does it right every time but it's weird that my widows peak creates such a obstacle for him.
##!# a straight hairline/edge up whatever.
Be proud of your widows peak!

it adds character.

Originally Posted by dbailey86

If you had the chance to cut Lebron's hair would you do him the favor and cut it all off or just shape it up and let ppl continue to make fun of him

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Why is it when I say "leave an inch on top" they cut it less then an inch? I mean an inch not whatever the barber thinks an inch is

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

I should b taking my masterbarber test in March. In the middle of trying to find a shop to work at now.

Im looking to open my own shop by the end of the year (if i pass my master test )

Queens/NY NTers will be hooked up

pimp.gif
i like to get a tapeup with a trim on top, thanks
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

21dcb5d7-105a-4478-8004-9e58331fd5e6.jpg

What's Nate Robinson's haircut called in this pic? It's like an afro but faded at the sides...

Afro_Taper_Small.jpg

Same as this?

What would you recommend to trim my beard and line my hair up? Never really shaved or anything and honestly don't grow much facial hair but right now am rocking something like Miguel Cotto plus a mustache. Always waited til I go to the barber shop, but now that I'm leaving it all I'd like to keep it looking good. 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

So all I need are the shape-up clippers + The Designers?

What about the tool that barbers use to even out the hair. They usually use 3 tools

Even all the hair? 
Like cut it? 

The Designers cut the hair, those are the clippers.

They don't come with all the guards though...

Wahl%20Designer%20Lg.jpg

315Y9xS6DpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

smokin.gif

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

how exactly do you "maintain" clippers? for example, you said "blade wash" but can you be more specific in terms of what you wash it with, do you use a cloth/cotton ball/ect.?

Blade Wash flushes out all the hair that get's trapped in between the blades so that they don't get clogged up. 
All you do is place the teeth of the blade while the clipper is running and it'll rinse out all the hair.

Doing this will also flush out all the oil, causing the blades to get really dry.

That's when you oil them again to lubricate them.

You can just use a towel to wipe it off, for the excess oil that drips out and blade wash. 

Originally Posted by MoNeyLiCiouS

laugh.gif
@ OP

Questions:
- Do you (barbers) cut your own hair? Or do you find a buddy at the shop and cut each other's?
- What kind of hair is easier to cut in your opinion, assuming they want the same haircut..an asian/white guy or a black guy?

Thx in advance.

Some can, I on the other hand let my friend who's also a barber cut my hair. 
All hair is the same, maybe I struggle more with straight hair when they want shear cuts.

Just about it, but even then I'm not too bad.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Do you hate it when someone comes from playing ball to get a cut

Depends, wet hair isn't too good for our clippers.
Body odor is also 
sick.gif

If their hair just smells then we might just give 'em a shampoo head wash.

Originally Posted by Kramer

Why is it when I say "leave an inch on top" they cut it less then an inch? I mean an inch not whatever the barber thinks an inch is

'Cause an inch would be like saying give me a 6 on top. 
I think you want a 1 on top, which would be a 1/8 of an inch?

Originally Posted by Wade187

What would you recommend to trim my beard and line my hair up? Never really shaved or anything and honestly don't grow much facial hair but right now am rocking something like Miguel Cotto plus a mustache. Always waited til I go to the barber shop, but now that I'm leaving it all I'd like to keep it looking good. 

Andi's T-Outliner 2. 
Smaller blade, than the Andi's Outliner.

b7e279aa17de08ab528c7386f3a1d0b2.wix_mp

When someone ask you, "let me get a 1 or a 2", what does that really mean?

I usually ask for a 2

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

I usually ask for a 2
Size of the guard they want... 
A 1 Guard is = 1/8 of an inch.

A 2 Guard is = of a 1/4 of an inch.

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

Originally Posted by dbailey86

If you had the chance to cut Lebron's hair would you do him the favor and cut it all off or just shape it up and let ppl continue to make fun of him

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif

OP saw all the questions, felt overwhelmed and said "F this I'm out!"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Originally Posted by Kramer

'Cause an inch would be like saying give me a 6 on top. 
I think you want a 1 on top, which would be a 1/8 of an inch?

I want them to use the scissors though not clippers

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

how exactly do you "maintain" clippers? for example, you said "blade wash" but can you be more specific in terms of what you wash it with, do you use a cloth/cotton ball/ect.?

Blade Wash flushes out all the hair that get's trapped in between the blades so that they don't get clogged up. 
All you do is place the teeth of the blade while the clipper is running and it'll rinse out all the hair.

Doing this will also flush out all the oil, causing the blades to get really dry.

That's when you oil them again to lubricate them.

You can just use a towel to wipe it off, for the excess oil that drips out and blade wash. 

What do you place the clipper in when washing out the blade... regular water or those blade wash products that come in the spray can that you see when you type in "blade wash" in Google?  Some brands are from Oster and others are from Andis.

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

I usually ask for a 2
Size of the guard they want... 
A 1 Guard is = 1/8 of an inch.

A 2 Guard is = of a 1/4 of an inch.

So a 1 cuts less hair?

how high do the clipper guards go up? I asked for an 8 on the sides but it was too short, i kinda wana see what a 10 looks like

Yo MrYoungMoney,
Is it bad for a barber to push back the hairline to create that fresh line each cut? I tend to get a cut every two weeks because of this. Should I just tell the barber to not push back the hair line? I'm not balding btw, I think it's the "maturing hairline"

Back
Top Bottom